AD Restore to different Hardware

xor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

Hi,

Has anyone around have experience with restoring Windows 2000 Active
Directory (System State) on a different hardware more specific from HP
Prolaint DL 380 G2 to Compaq ProLaint 3000. I am having issues when doing a
restore of the system state and rebooting the server it blue screens. I tried
booting from CD and doing a reparing of the installation but after the file
copy process when it goes into the GUI mode of the installation and starts
detecting hardware it hangs.. any ideas??

xor

Consider dcpromo the new machine as a new DC in the domain and allow AD
replication to complete. This is by far the simplest and safest approach (and
fast too when in same AD site) when dealing with different hardware make,
brand or model.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

"xor" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone around have experience with restoring Windows 2000 Active
> Directory (System State) on a different hardware more specific from HP
> Prolaint DL 380 G2 to Compaq ProLaint 3000. I am having issues when doing a
> restore of the system state and rebooting the server it blue screens. I tried
> booting from CD and doing a reparing of the installation but after the file
> copy process when it goes into the GUI mode of the installation and starts
> detecting hardware it hangs.. any ideas??
>
> xor

I agree with Desmond, it's easier to do a Dcpromo if you have another DC
online. If not, take a look at this articel:

How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on a
computer with a different hardware configuration:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q263532

Regards,
/Jimmy
--