AMD reaches purchasing agreement with ATi

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
<untranslated>
http://it.sohu.com/20060704/n244091407.shtml

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fit.sohu.com%2F20060704%2Fn244091407.shtml&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

<<<<<
Sources said AMD acquisitions ATI a foregone conclusion ATI will face a big shake-up .

Rumours eventually become a reality.

July 4 at noon, a person close to the negotiations revealed that AMD has reached a purchase agreement with ATI, the news will soon be officially announced.

The source also disclosed that the company is currently ATI acquisition side "a big shake-up" but he refused to disclose more, such as purchasing, pricing details.

In May this year that the industry Intel ATI acquisition news, the news was subsequently denied by both sides. In early June, the acquisition ATI again Puchu case, but the acquisition side has become a veteran opponent Intel AMD, but then AMD and ATI is equally denied the news.

There are industry analysis, AMD will re-purchase ATI graphics chip division Market Pattern. Intel's market share is highest in the field, the old rival Nvidia and ATI is the main storage partners. Nvidia Corporation founder and CEO Huangrenxun Earlier in accepting media interviews that if the company AMD acquired ATI, NVIDIA will adjust the current strategy will no longer focus on the majority of AMD market, but part of the Intel market pros.
>>>>>>>

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
dumb_hero_logo.jpg

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Another chinese site is reporting this as well....from what i can read in the rough translation.... AMD official purchase of Ati will be announced b4 weeks end..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,,

According to news reports two days of AMD is expected to announce the acquisition of ATI
Http://www.sina.com.cn July 6, 2006 02:03 First Financial Daily

Wang as morning reporter from Shanghai

"We do not make any comment on the news. "In response to the acquisition of ATI AMD将 news, public relations manager shameful Project ATI China yesterday to the" First Financial Daily "said.

The day before yesterday, a person close to the negotiations side of the media confirms AMD acquisitions ATI news. The sources, ATI currently

Is the "big shake-up", the two sides will soon be formally announced cooperation matters. And the industry is a close AMD disclosed to reporters : "The possibility of cooperation between the two sides 48 hours later. "

Intel also do not want to express any opinion. In fact, in May of this year, Intel will acquire ATI is hearsay.

The world's largest supplier Enweidiya Xianka ATI is the largest in the field of independent Xianka opponent Enweidiya Chinese companies a market source said, although the two sides have not yet heard the news precise cooperation, but remains concerned about the specific modalities of cooperation, such as the overall acquisition or strategic cooperation.

The source analysis said that if the overall acquisition, which means that AMD will be combined with ATI, the two sides will be tied up a sexual platform; If only strategic cooperation, it may be to some extent AMD platform of achievement.

B Project stresses that such relatively Enweidiya peer, ATI chip business showed global mobile market share of about 70%, gain absolute advantage. Mobile computing and AMD is eager to catch up with Intel's current business focus. On the last Saturday, AMD officially released in China in the global design 64-bit mobile processors double nuclear products.

Saidiguwen
Semiconductors Senior industry analysts Liu Xing, told reporters that AMD is technically obtained a breakthrough is in the technical superiority into market superiority key period, with large sums of money into this chip group is scattered resources. AMD's latest Caibaoxianshi its current cash flow of about 2.6 billion U.S. dollars.

Liu Xing believe that once the acquisition of ATI AMD, Intel would mean step behind, tied up processors and chip group began.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I see no reason for them to merge, AMD was doing so well with NVidia, why mess it up by adding ATI into the picture...

This would be a rediculous move on AMD's part. Rediculously GOOD.

Let's not even talk about the combined manufacturing capabilities of the 2 companies, let alone the fact that AMD is looking to put GPUs on hyper transport.

No; instead let's look at what the merger would do to Intel. Intel's negotiations failed with nVidia to incorporate SLI on Intel Chipsets. Why? Probably because Intel's chipsets would be in a better position to compete with nVidia's nForce lineup. ATI, who does not have a desktop chipset, inked a deal which let Intel produce crossfire capable chipsets.

If AMD purchases ATI, you can kiss goodbye any sort of SLI/Crossfire support on Intel chipsets in the future. This will severely hamper a major source of income for Intel. Of course, Intel may bit the bullet and pay a premium for the support, but that's going to both Increase the overall cost of Intel's chipsets, and put money into the pockets of their competitors.

I love Intel, but if AMD buys ATI, then ATI will definately have the better strategic position in the market.

An Athlon paired with 2 GPUs and a PPU on the same board, over a high-speed local bus, may be only a few short years away if this deal turns out to be true. Intel could do it, yes, they have the money, but it would take them longer to do it without inking a deal with a GPU supplier, and nVidia isn't on Intel's buddy list, that's for sure :)

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Nope. It sure isn't. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting that! Objection, Your Honor. Counsel's entire opening statement is argument.

Meh, I don't like this. Most of AMD's market share comes from selling CPUs to people with motherboards that support nVidia technology, not ATI. I wonder what this is going to do to any future products from AMD I buy.

I don't like this because I hate ATI, I don't like their driver support. I use Linux, and the drivers for *Nix are worse than their Windows ones.

That and I prefer SLI to Crossfire.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Good point mate, ATI's drivers smell like my feet after i've been hiking (an alien concept to you guys in the states), and my feet smell pretty bad after that.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
It would make little if any sense, as AMD would likely end up alienating certain NVIDIA fanboys away--perhaps ATI will move some intel fanboys to the amd camp too, but methinks this would be a bad thing for the market. Think about it--with AMD/ATI, NVIDIA producing the biggest selling AMD cpu chipsets--man, this would just be stupid. Unlikely, I say.

charleski

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
It's good news for AMD. It will have a minimal effect on Intel. It's bad news for enthusiasts who want choice.

AMD have some interesting ideas in the pipeline, and their mutli-processor technology looks like it'll really be worthwhile in acouple of years. For that to work they need ATi, so the takeover makes a lot of sense for them. But this means that anyone with an AMD system is going to get locked in to ATi. The fierce competition between nvidia and ATi has fuelled the massive expansion in GPU power that we've seen over the past 5 years. Anything that threatens that is bad for enthusiasts as a whole.

As far as Intel, I doubt they really care. The dual-GPU market is a tiny fraction of the top-end business, and they can afford to lose a few chipset sales to nvidia without breaking a sweat. I expect nvidia to continue making single-slot duals in the future anyway.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I think you guys are looking at this from the wrong perspective...

The acquisition might be bad for consumers, but not AMD.

Acquiring ATi is not going to alienate nVidia. nVidia isn't going to stop supporting AMD just because they're now a competitor. It might change the relationship between the 2 companies, but not the product line. If anything, this is good for nVidia because it forces Intel to use SLI or nothing for future dual-video card support. That's what happens when a 300lb gorilla wearing boxing gloves has you in the corner :)

As most of us know, the GPU is one big multi-core processor, and with CPUs going multi-core, this is exactly what AMD would need to get the jump on high-speed inter-core communication. On top of that, for the "4x4" initiative to be successful, AMD needs to be able to put more than a CPU and a PPU in its sockets. PPU's are still fairly far off when talking mainstream software integration. The next logical step would be a GPU. What better way to do that than to BUY a leading GPU manufacturer?

Also, so you don't like ATi drivers. Well AMD might say, "Hey, our software engineering is better at AMD than ATi..." and revamp the driver development in ATi (Or fire them all ;)). This could be the best thing to happen to ATi. Besides that, when AMD goes 65nm, they can shrink the GPU core as well, giving the ATi GPU a jump on nVidia, which is (I believe) still at a 90nm process.

It's going to change the landscape a bit, but overall I can see AMD coming out on top. What better way to service enthusiests than to merge 2 CPU and GPU powerhouses?

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
If AMD goal is to be as big or bigger than INTEL

Buying Ati would be a major major step towards that

and also a big step in shutting down INTEL on the high end gaming rigs..

Intel would have to concede that market...

RichPLS

Champion
I do not believe if the merger occurs that ATI will drop support for Intel based boards... that would hurt both co's and not just one...
Wait for details, and the truth will probably be a lot more rational than this speculation... yet if true, in the end, it would probably adversely effect pricing, not enourmously, but at worst, in the range of a few dollars per chipset...

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
AMD an nvidia had been buddies for a few successful years,and if amd aquired nvidia that would be more sensible,but i think nvidia didnt want that
I think there's one major factor you're missing, AMD doesn't have the capitol to buy Nvidia, for it is much larger than ATI.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
If AMD goal is to be as big or bigger than INTEL

Buying Ati would be a major major step towards that

and also a big step in shutting down INTEL on the high end gaming rigs..

Intel would have to concede that market...
nahhh! its a give and take competition,it would go back and forth on all levels.

I'm rooting for Intel, but if a GPU on hypertransport is a success, Intel's going to find itself following AMD again in the gaming market. Intel's architecture just doesn't have that capability yet. Even if it did, Intel and nVidia are going to have to become close buddies, else get pushed out of the market.

This is assuming a GPU sitting beside the CPU is really that much of a success. 2 problems from the top of my head would be (1) the power and heat required would require some MAJOR rework and some expensive components on the motherboard (i.e. more power regulators and CAPS), and (2) the video memory would have to be soldered to the motherboard at manufacturing unless they come up with some modular video memory standard, and fast. With GDDR4 out, I doubt an AGP-style DDR2 aperture would perform as well as dedicated video memory.