Sign in with
Your question

Turning hard disk off in windows XP power scheme

Last response: in Storage
July 6, 2006 12:38:21 PM

Hi!

I just bought an HP pavillion laptop that has a 60 GB (4200 rpm) hard disk. In windows XP (home edition) under 'power schemes' I can chose how long I want the laptop to wait before turning the hard disk off.

I don't care about battery life... The only thing I am thinking about now is the well-being and life time of the hard disk. I want my hard disk to live as long as possible. My question is: Is it better for the hard disk just to stay running all the time or is it better to have it automatically turn off after a certain amount of time? I'm thinking that maybe it's 'healthier' for the hard disk to stay running all the time because I'm assuming that constant stopping and starting would wear out the hard disk... right?

I would really appreciate any info on the topic... Please keep in mind that I don't know a lot about hard disks...

More about : turning hard disk windows power scheme

July 6, 2006 1:00:49 PM

Quote:
Hi!

I just bought an HP pavillion laptop that has a 60 GB (4200 rpm) hard disk. In windows XP (home edition) under 'power schemes' I can chose how long I want the laptop to wait before turning the hard disk off.

I don't care about battery life... The only thing I am thinking about now is the well-being and life time of the hard disk. I want my hard disk to live as long as possible. My question is: Is it better for the hard disk just to stay running all the time or is it better to have it automatically turn off after a certain amount of time? I'm thinking that maybe it's 'healthier' for the hard disk to stay running all the time because I'm assuming that constant stopping and starting would wear out the hard disk... right?

Over the years, I've seen articles that talk about the causes of death for HDs. High on the list is heat. In a laptop, this can be a very real problem. I've also read that many HDs die during startup, so if you can avoid overheating, I'd let the HD run. My experience with laptops is that the HD outlives the device.
July 6, 2006 5:21:50 PM

Quote:
Hi!

Over the years, I've seen articles that talk about the causes of death for HDs. High on the list is heat. In a laptop, this can be a very real problem. I've also read that many HDs die during startup, so if you can avoid overheating, I'd let the HD run. My experience with laptops is that the HD outlives the device.

First off in good practice I would suggest regular back ups of you hard drive via ghost image or something along those lines to an external device or network share. That feature for hard drive sleeping is useless in the sense that laptops always have services running, indexing perhaps, as well as open applications like aim of openoffice. So I would turn off most of those fetures except for maybe your screen sleeping.
Whether or not you believe spin up or static heat kills drives is a matter of opinion, although a cold boot is logically that. So just worry about backups and disable the rest
!