OU Containers - Computers/Users

Hello

I have recently been reviewing our ADUC OU's and Group Policies. I have
noticed that on the root of our domain the Computers and Users OU's are
present. We also have domain level GPO's applied to them. However when I
bring up the GPO Management page I notice that these two containers are not
present. Why is this?
I believe the domain leve GPO's are being applied, but it doesn't look like
I can apply GPOs on these two conatiners.
Your assistanec is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Mark Clark

This is unfortunately by design. You can't apply GPOs to the Users
container or the Computers container. (Long story short, they're mostly
there for backwards compatibility with stuff like Windows NT that has no
idea what a GPO is.) To apply GPOs to your user/computer objects, you'll
need to move them to an OU that you've created.

--
Laura E. Hunter
All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
"Mark Clark" <MarkClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have recently been reviewing our ADUC OU's and Group Policies. I have
> noticed that on the root of our domain the Computers and Users OU's are
> present. We also have domain level GPO's applied to them. However when I
> bring up the GPO Management page I notice that these two containers are
> not
> present. Why is this?
> I believe the domain leve GPO's are being applied, but it doesn't look
> like
> I can apply GPOs on these two conatiners.
> Your assistanec is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Clark

Thank you very much for the excellent explanation.

"Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" wrote:

> This is unfortunately by design. You can't apply GPOs to the Users
> container or the Computers container. (Long story short, they're mostly
> there for backwards compatibility with stuff like Windows NT that has no
> idea what a GPO is.) To apply GPOs to your user/computer objects, you'll
> need to move them to an OU that you've created.
>
> --
> Laura E. Hunter
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
> All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
> Replies to newsgroup only.
> "Mark Clark" <MarkClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I have recently been reviewing our ADUC OU's and Group Policies. I have
> > noticed that on the root of our domain the Computers and Users OU's are
> > present. We also have domain level GPO's applied to them. However when I
> > bring up the GPO Management page I notice that these two containers are
> > not
> > present. Why is this?
> > I believe the domain leve GPO's are being applied, but it doesn't look
> > like
> > I can apply GPOs on these two conatiners.
> > Your assistanec is greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark Clark

These are containers - not OUs. GPOs cannot be directly applied to
containers. As you've said, the only way to apply GPO to objects in the
containers is to apply to the domain and/ or site level.

The reason they don't show up, is because you cannot link GPOs to them. The
object container, does not support this.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/