Online Address Book

December 2, 2004 11:27:12 AM

What is involved with configuring an online address book? We have Exchange
2003 as our corporate mail server and have PocketPC devices synching their
e-mail/calendar/contacts via active-sync. I came across the option to add
an "online address book" on the pocket pc. I'm thinking this will give our
PocketPc users access to the Global Address List in Exchange. If I'm wrong,
let me know.

Here's the help instructions from Pocket PC:

1. If you are adding a new account, ask your network administrator for the
correct server name. If you are adding a new account, ask your network
administrator for the correct server name.

2. In the message list, tap Tools > Options > Address tab. In the message
list, tap Tools > Options > Address tab.

3. In the In Contacts, get addresses from list, select which e-mail address
book to check in Contacts. Contacts will be checked first unless you select
None. In the In Contacts, get addresses from list, select which e-mail
address book to check in Contacts. Contacts will be checked first unless you
select None.

4. If your mail server is already listed, select the mail server's
directory service check box to enable it. Tap OK. If your mail server is
already listed, select the mail server's directory service check box to
enable it. Tap OK.

5. If your mail service is not already listed, tap Add. If your mail
service is not already listed, tap Add.

6. In the Directory name and Server boxes, enter the LDAP directory and
server names. In the Directory name and Server boxes, enter the LDAP
directory and server names.

7. Ask your network administrator if authentication is necessary for your
server. If so, select Authentication is necessary on this server, and enter
your user ID and password. Ask your network administrator if authentication
is necessary for your server. If so, select Authentication is necessary on
this server, and enter your user ID and password.

8. To have Inbox check this service, select Check name against this server.
To have Inbox check this service, select Check name against this server.

I'm the administrator and I don't know how to set this up!! :-{

More about : online address book

December 3, 2004 9:07:08 AM

This seems like a simple question.
But...
How do you configure the Outlook 2002 client on the PDA?
We also have an Exchange 2003 server, I have pointed the client at our
primary GC server, added authentication details, still no "lookup"...

I'd like to see an example of a working config....

"Wayne" wrote:

> What is involved with configuring an online address book? We have Exchange
> 2003 as our corporate mail server and have PocketPC devices synching their
> e-mail/calendar/contacts via active-sync. I came across the option to add
> an "online address book" on the pocket pc. I'm thinking this will give our
> PocketPc users access to the Global Address List in Exchange. If I'm wrong,
> let me know.
>
> Here's the help instructions from Pocket PC:
>
> 1. If you are adding a new account, ask your network administrator for the
> correct server name. If you are adding a new account, ask your network
> administrator for the correct server name.
>
> 2. In the message list, tap Tools > Options > Address tab. In the message
> list, tap Tools > Options > Address tab.
>
> 3. In the In Contacts, get addresses from list, select which e-mail address
> book to check in Contacts. Contacts will be checked first unless you select
> None. In the In Contacts, get addresses from list, select which e-mail
> address book to check in Contacts. Contacts will be checked first unless you
> select None.
>
> 4. If your mail server is already listed, select the mail server's
> directory service check box to enable it. Tap OK. If your mail server is
> already listed, select the mail server's directory service check box to
> enable it. Tap OK.
>
> 5. If your mail service is not already listed, tap Add. If your mail
> service is not already listed, tap Add.
>
> 6. In the Directory name and Server boxes, enter the LDAP directory and
> server names. In the Directory name and Server boxes, enter the LDAP
> directory and server names.
>
> 7. Ask your network administrator if authentication is necessary for your
> server. If so, select Authentication is necessary on this server, and enter
> your user ID and password. Ask your network administrator if authentication
> is necessary for your server. If so, select Authentication is necessary on
> this server, and enter your user ID and password.
>
> 8. To have Inbox check this service, select Check name against this server.
> To have Inbox check this service, select Check name against this server.
>
> I'm the administrator and I don't know how to set this up!! :-{

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:51:04 PM

Putting my 2 cents in: I also want to know how to configure this. I was
able to correctly install the certificate need to access our exchange server
and have no problems syncing users' exchange mailboxes via the built-in
wireless networking on the device (Dell Axim X30s, in our case), both within
the office and using public wireless access points. I'd love to -- no,
actually I *need* to -- access our Global Address List on the PPC. This is
the last thing I need to do before giving the PPCs to our users. If the
"Online Address Book" isn't for this, then what *is* it for? I don't
understand why this feature isn't documented anywhere I can find.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

"Wayne" <weaton@cardone.com> wrote in message
news:o XkXdJH2EHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> What is involved with configuring an online address book? We have
Exchange
> 2003 as our corporate mail server and have PocketPC devices synching their
> e-mail/calendar/contacts via active-sync. I came across the option to add
> an "online address book" on the pocket pc. I'm thinking this will give
our
> PocketPc users access to the Global Address List in Exchange. If I'm
wrong,
> let me know.
>
> Here's the help instructions from Pocket PC:
>
> 1. If you are adding a new account, ask your network administrator for the
> correct server name. If you are adding a new account, ask your network
> administrator for the correct server name.
>
> 2. In the message list, tap Tools > Options > Address tab. In the message
> list, tap Tools > Options > Address tab.
>
> 3. In the In Contacts, get addresses from list, select which e-mail
address
> book to check in Contacts. Contacts will be checked first unless you
select
> None. In the In Contacts, get addresses from list, select which e-mail
> address book to check in Contacts. Contacts will be checked first unless
you
> select None.
>
> 4. If your mail server is already listed, select the mail server's
> directory service check box to enable it. Tap OK. If your mail server is
> already listed, select the mail server's directory service check box to
> enable it. Tap OK.
>
> 5. If your mail service is not already listed, tap Add. If your mail
> service is not already listed, tap Add.
>
> 6. In the Directory name and Server boxes, enter the LDAP directory and
> server names. In the Directory name and Server boxes, enter the LDAP
> directory and server names.
>
> 7. Ask your network administrator if authentication is necessary for your
> server. If so, select Authentication is necessary on this server, and
enter
> your user ID and password. Ask your network administrator if
authentication
> is necessary for your server. If so, select Authentication is necessary on
> this server, and enter your user ID and password.
>
> 8. To have Inbox check this service, select Check name against this
server.
> To have Inbox check this service, select Check name against this server.
>
> I'm the administrator and I don't know how to set this up!! :-{

December 3, 2004 8:14:13 PM

The online address book refers to an LDAP server that would probably be
maintained by whomever is maintaining you mail server.

To see how to set up your ppc try
http://www.cewindows.net/pocketpc.com/configuringldap.h...

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
December 5, 2004 3:09:01 AM

I have seen this.
Also, I am that network administrator...
I have sucessfully configured Outlook Express to use LDAP directory services
without any trouble at all, but have had no success configuring Outlook 2002
on the PDA.
What I would really appreciate is a example of a working configuration and
exactly what settings should be used.

Thanks, Dave.

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

> The online address book refers to an LDAP server that would probably be
> maintained by whomever is maintaining you mail server.
>
> To see how to set up your ppc try
> http://www.cewindows.net/pocketpc.com/configuringldap.h...

December 5, 2004 10:56:18 PM

Outlook 2002 on the PDA?

Can you give some details on how you have tried to set the server
information... seems pretty straightforward to me on PPC 2002.

If you wish, private email me the server info and a temp logon and I
will take a look.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
December 6, 2004 3:19:02 AM

I'm probably using the wrong terminology, so apologies for that...
Inbox/Tools/Options/Address/Add(Online Address Book)
Here's what I have (equivalent);
Directory Name:
DC=company,DC=co,DC=uk
Server:
GCSERVER1.csgltd.co.uk
Authentication is necessary on this server:
<ticked>
User name:
company.co.uk\username
Password:
<********>
Check name against this server:
<ticked>

I hope this makes sense, just for clarification:
The AD DNS name is company.co.uk
GCSERVER1 is the primary domain controller (global catalogue)

I have used identical settings in outlook express as a test... It works
fine, although there is a difference, that being, the search base parameter
(DC=company,DC=co,DC=uk).

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" wrote:

> Outlook 2002 on the PDA?
>
> Can you give some details on how you have tried to set the server
> information... seems pretty straightforward to me on PPC 2002.
>
> If you wish, private email me the server info and a temp logon and I
> will take a look.

December 6, 2004 12:09:49 PM

FYI, I am still watching this thread since I'm in the same situation as
Dave. Please post any examples of a working config to this thread. Server
name is straightforward, as is authentication information; however,
directory name is less obvious. I've tried as many variations as I can come
up for the directory name, based on the names of my active directory and my
exchange organization. An example would be the quickest, simplest means of
communicating this information, and probably also very easy for someone "in
the know" to provide (imho).

Also, another question: will a user be able to browse the GAL, or does this
feature merely check manually entered addresses against the LDAP database?
Without the ability to browse the GAL, this feature's usefulness seems
limited at best.

Thanks again,

Bryan

message news:%23rqMIbz2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Outlook 2002 on the PDA?
>
> Can you give some details on how you have tried to set the server
> information... seems pretty straightforward to me on PPC 2002.
>
> If you wish, private email me the server info and a temp logon and I
> will take a look.

December 6, 2004 2:59:28 PM

A point of clarification: when I said I was in the same situation as Dave, I
may have left the impression I was trying to configure exchange mailbox
server sync via wireless. I can successfully synch with server via
wireless conection for a user's exchange mailbox; I only need help setting
up Windows Mobile 2003 SE to browse the GAL on the exchange server via
wireless internet.

Bryan

"Bryan Linton" <blinton@nospam.connellinsurance.com> wrote in message
> FYI, I am still watching this thread since I'm in the same situation as
> Dave. Please post any examples of a working config to this thread.
Server
> name is straightforward, as is authentication information; however,
> directory name is less obvious. I've tried as many variations as I can
come
> up for the directory name, based on the names of my active directory and
my
> exchange organization. An example would be the quickest, simplest means
of
> communicating this information, and probably also very easy for someone
"in
> the know" to provide (imho).
>
> Also, another question: will a user be able to browse the GAL, or does
this
> feature merely check manually entered addresses against the LDAP database?
> Without the ability to browse the GAL, this feature's usefulness seems
> limited at best.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Bryan
>

> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:%23rqMIbz2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Outlook 2002 on the PDA?
> >
> > Can you give some details on how you have tried to set the server
> > information... seems pretty straightforward to me on PPC 2002.
> >
> > If you wish, private email me the server info and a temp logon and I
> > will take a look.
> >
> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

December 7, 2004 6:37:02 AM

Does that mean you can search the Exchange "Online Address Book" on wireless?
Mail synchronisation is not a problem (either wireless or via Internet), the
issue I have is searching the Global Address List on my Exchange server using
the Directory Service configuration option.
Again, an example of what parameters should be used would be the best way of
demonstrating how this works.
Can anyone help?

Dave

"Bryan Linton" wrote:

> A point of clarification: when I said I was in the same situation as Dave, I
> may have left the impression I was trying to configure exchange mailbox
> server sync via wireless. I can successfully synch with server via
> wireless conection for a user's exchange mailbox; I only need help setting
> up Windows Mobile 2003 SE to browse the GAL on the exchange server via
> wireless internet.
>
> Bryan
>

> "Bryan Linton" <blinton@nospam.connellinsurance.com> wrote in message
> > FYI, I am still watching this thread since I'm in the same situation as
> > Dave. Please post any examples of a working config to this thread.
> Server
> > name is straightforward, as is authentication information; however,
> > directory name is less obvious. I've tried as many variations as I can
> come
> > up for the directory name, based on the names of my active directory and
> my
> > exchange organization. An example would be the quickest, simplest means
> of
> > communicating this information, and probably also very easy for someone
> "in
> > the know" to provide (imho).
> >
> > Also, another question: will a user be able to browse the GAL, or does
> this
> > feature merely check manually entered addresses against the LDAP database?
> > Without the ability to browse the GAL, this feature's usefulness seems
> > limited at best.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Bryan
> >

> > "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> > message news:%23rqMIbz2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > > Outlook 2002 on the PDA?
> > >
> > > Can you give some details on how you have tried to set the server
> > > information... seems pretty straightforward to me on PPC 2002.
> > >
> > > If you wish, private email me the server info and a temp logon and I
> > > will take a look.
> > >
> > > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 11:31:47 AM

No Dave, we're both looking for the same thing: A way to browse the Global
Address List on the Exchange server. I have this sneaking feeling nobody's
going to help us with this, but I don't like the conclusion I'm coming to,
which is that even at Microsoft, no one knows what to do with this question.

Bryan

> Does that mean you can search the Exchange "Online Address Book" on
wireless?
> Mail synchronisation is not a problem (either wireless or via Internet),
the
> issue I have is searching the Global Address List on my Exchange server
using
> the Directory Service configuration option.
> Again, an example of what parameters should be used would be the best way
of
> demonstrating how this works.
> Can anyone help?
>

> Dave
>
> "Bryan Linton" wrote:
>
> > A point of clarification: when I said I was in the same situation as
Dave, I
> > may have left the impression I was trying to configure exchange mailbox
> > server sync via wireless. I can successfully synch with server via
> > wireless conection for a user's exchange mailbox; I only need help
setting
> > up Windows Mobile 2003 SE to browse the GAL on the exchange server via
> > wireless internet.
> >
> > Bryan
> >

> > "Bryan Linton" <blinton@nospam.connellinsurance.com> wrote in message
> > > FYI, I am still watching this thread since I'm in the same situation
as
> > > Dave. Please post any examples of a working config to this thread.
> > Server
> > > name is straightforward, as is authentication information; however,
> > > directory name is less obvious. I've tried as many variations as I
can
> > come
> > > up for the directory name, based on the names of my active directory
and
> > my
> > > exchange organization. An example would be the quickest, simplest
means
> > of
> > > communicating this information, and probably also very easy for
someone
> > "in
> > > the know" to provide (imho).
> > >
> > > Also, another question: will a user be able to browse the GAL, or does
> > this
> > > feature merely check manually entered addresses against the LDAP
database?
> > > Without the ability to browse the GAL, this feature's usefulness seems
> > > limited at best.
> > >
> > > Thanks again,
> > >
> > > Bryan
> > >

> > > "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> > > message news:%23rqMIbz2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:00:32 PM

Hey,

I know of no way of doing this unfortunately but a compromise may be mGALSync which is located here: http://www.slipstreamsolutions.co.uk/products/mGALSync....

This syncs the GAL to your contacts either in desktop Outlook or directly to the PPC. Just thought I'd mention it as it is the only way I have found so far of having the details.

Best regards - Dave

nntp://news.plus.net/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<#bWA9lG3EHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>

No Dave, we're both looking for the same thing: A way to browse the Global
Address List on the Exchange server. I have this sneaking feeling nobody's
going to help us with this, but I don't like the conclusion I'm coming to,
which is that even at Microsoft, no one knows what to do with this question.

Bryan
December 7, 2004 6:00:33 PM

I agree, although the documentation "indicates" this can be done, I don't
think it works with Exchange Server GAL's via LDAP.
I would love to be proven wrong by Microsoft, but have to say I've now lost
that enthusiam I had regarding what I believe would have been a very cool
solution to what my users perceive to be a major issue.

I checked out that link that David Richardson recommended, it works
beautifully!
BUT - it's not really the solution I'm looking for...
:-(

Any further suggestions anyone????

----Thanks, Dave.----

"David Richardson" wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I know of no way of doing this unfortunately but a compromise may be mGALSync which is located here: http://www.slipstreamsolutions.co.uk/products/mGALSync....
>
> This syncs the GAL to your contacts either in desktop Outlook or directly to the PPC. Just thought I'd mention it as it is the only way I have found so far of having the details.
>
> Best regards - Dave
>
> nntp://news.plus.net/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<#bWA9lG3EHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>
>
> No Dave, we're both looking for the same thing: A way to browse the Global
> Address List on the Exchange server. I have this sneaking feeling nobody's
> going to help us with this, but I don't like the conclusion I'm coming to,
> which is that even at Microsoft, no one knows what to do with this question.
>
> Bryan

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:28:58 PM

Dave, I found a workaround that's acceptable for me; it may not be suitable
for you depending on how large your organization is (meaning, depending on
how often your GAL changes). I gave up on the Online Adress Book because my
boss was pressuring me to give him his new PPC and I couldn't make him wait
another week while I banged away at it.

I copied the contacts in the GAL list to a personal contacts folder by
selecting all the entries in it, right-clicking and choosing "Add to
Contacts". Once there, it's a simple drag-and-drop operation to place them
into the user's personal "Contacts" folder in his/her mailbox. This was
feasible for me because a) I have fewer than 30 users in my GAL, and b) I
only needed to add those users to the Contacts folder of three employees
(they're the ones that got the new PPCs).

A couple of points worth noting:

- When I chose "Add to contacts", the entries didn't appear in my Contacts
folder. After several tries, I finally decided they had probably been
copied to *somewhere* and went looking elsewhere for them. I found them in
a public folder containing Contact items for another department (but I could
see the folder 'cause I created it). I couldn't find any way of specifying
a "default" or "primary" Contacts folder as a way of controlling which
folder the contacts would be copied into from the GAL. I finally gave up
and let all the contacts go to the public folder. Then I manually moved all
the GAL contacts out of the public folder into the temporary Contacts folder
I had created in my mailbox for this purpose. Once all the contacts were
there, it was a simple matter to open the folder in another window, then use
File > Open > Other User's Folder to open the PPC user's Contacts folder in
his/her exchange mailbox, and finally, use drag and drop to copy all the
contacts from my temp contacts folder to the user's Contacts folder.

- We have distribution lists in our GAL, but the Contacts feature in the PPC
didn't seem to recognize them or even sync them, so I removed those from my
temp contacts folder before I copied the contacts to the user's Contacts
folder.

I hope this is helpful to you. I'll check back for your reply; I'm
interested in knowing what you finally do on this.

Bryan

> I agree, although the documentation "indicates" this can be done, I don't
> think it works with Exchange Server GAL's via LDAP.
> I would love to be proven wrong by Microsoft, but have to say I've now
lost
> that enthusiam I had regarding what I believe would have been a very cool
> solution to what my users perceive to be a major issue.
>
> I checked out that link that David Richardson recommended, it works
> beautifully!
> BUT - it's not really the solution I'm looking for...
> :-(
>
> Any further suggestions anyone????
>

> ----Thanks, Dave.----
>

> "David Richardson" wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > I know of no way of doing this unfortunately but a compromise may be
mGALSync which is located here:
http://www.slipstreamsolutions.co.uk/products/mGALSync....

> > This syncs the GAL to your contacts either in desktop Outlook or
directly to the PPC. Just thought I'd mention it as it is the only way I
have found so far of having the details.

> > Best regards - Dave

nntp://news.plus.net/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<#bWA9lG3EHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>

> > No Dave, we're both looking for the same thing: A way to browse the
Global
> > Address List on the Exchange server. I have this sneaking feeling
nobody's
> > going to help us with this, but I don't like the conclusion I'm coming
to,
> > which is that even at Microsoft, no one knows what to do with this
question.

> > Bryan

September 19, 2008 5:35:59 PM

I added the following on Windows Mobile 6

Go to: Messaging > (Outlook account) > Options > Address tab

add a directory: exchange/name
add a server: webmail.company.com
(my OWA address is webmail.company.com/exchange, my account is webmail.company.com/exchange.name)
I checked "authentication"
used my user name/password
I checked "check name against server"
Click OK.

I hope this helps you out, the GAL is searchable as a "company directory" link that appears at the top of my contact list now. I get to the contact list by clicking "to" in my mail composition.

I'll monitor this thread, so post questions. I'll answer them quickly, so no worries ;)
February 16, 2011 7:05:07 AM

.
!