AD name?

Is the Active Directory name listed in the system, network identification
tab or is that the DNS domain name? I am having probs with my AD on a 2000
server and I have seen everywhere that the AD name MUST equal the DNS domain
name, so just so I am not trying to fix an unfixable problem I wanted to
make sure that my AD name and DNS domain name were in fact the same, but I
don't know where each is located. I thought that the DNS name was in that
network ID tab of system properties, but if so where is the AD name listed?
Thanks

-Ryan

If you right click my computer and choose properties, then go to the network
identification tab...you will see 2 things:

1. Full computer name
2. Domain name

The last part of your computer name should match your domain name. For
example:

1. mypc.domain1.com
2.domain1.com

If these do not match, your server is probably not registered in DNS
properly and this can cause problems when trying to authenticate to AD due
to how much AD relies on DNS.

Arc J. Thames
MCSE/MCSA/MCT 2k/2k3

"Ryan Birkenholz" <birkato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is the Active Directory name listed in the system, network identification
> tab or is that the DNS domain name? I am having probs with my AD on a
2000
> server and I have seen everywhere that the AD name MUST equal the DNS
domain
> name, so just so I am not trying to fix an unfixable problem I wanted to
> make sure that my AD name and DNS domain name were in fact the same, but I
> don't know where each is located. I thought that the DNS name was in that
> network ID tab of system properties, but if so where is the AD name
listed?
> Thanks
>
> -Ryan

The system information is referring to the Primary DNS Suffix. This is the
DNS domain-name. If you are a member of a domain, this is set to equal the
AD namespace. You view your domain name by typing the following at the
command prompt:

set userd

(can't remember if that returns NetBT name or DNS name - probably NetBT
name)

You could also try

nltest /parentdomain

Ascertaining domain name isn't as simple as I thought :)

> ...I have seen everywhere that the AD name MUST equal the DNS domain
> name...

Yes and no. In almost all instances this is correct. It is possible to
have different namespaces, but requires extra work and a good, in depth
knowledge of what you're doing.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Ryan Birkenholz" <birkato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Is the Active Directory name listed in the system, network identification
tab or is that the DNS domain name? I am having probs with my AD on a 2000
server and I have seen everywhere that the AD name MUST equal the DNS domain
name, so just so I am not trying to fix an unfixable problem I wanted to
make sure that my AD name and DNS domain name were in fact the same, but I
don't know where each is located. I thought that the DNS name was in that
network ID tab of system properties, but if so where is the AD name listed?
Thanks

-Ryan

> Ascertaining domain name isn't as simple as I thought :)

Yes it is!!! Underneath full computer name :)

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/