AD - PDC problem.

Good day and thakns ahead.

jan 12th 2005 I posted a problem with my AD setup and i'm
still having problems...

I now want to raise the domain functionnal level to 2000
native or 2003 domain.

Because the main machine doesn't exist anymore, the other
one (the last one) doesn't allow me to do any thing
because it can't fint the PDC. Because of that I canot
add a new machine (a second one) to my domain. Both will
be running Windows Server 2003.

I don't want to rely on a single machine like it is the
case presently.

I followed Mr. Bergson tip (You need to remove the
orphaned objects.
Follow http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498 ) and
managed to clean up a thing or two but I still can't raise
the domain functionnal level because "the PDC could not be
contacted". I canot add a second machine to the existing
Domain.

1) Am I better to keep on working on the existing problem?
2) Can I just back up the users, and re-import them in a
new domain on a new machine and work from that one
(restart from scratch. 1 domain with aprx 60 users). It
can't effect my NTSF settings for the file server!

Can anybody help?

Dora

Eureka! Thanks a million!

The seize procedure proposed by Yor Suiris worked very
well.

I got to take over the FSMO roles to my existing DC and
then got to raise the level to W2000 native. I also got
to dcpromo a second machine wich was the original goal.
Now my boss likes me again!

Thank you again!

Dora

You need to clean up your AD and "seize" all the roles to your existing DC
Check these out. Hope it Helps..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;216498
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257288&Product=win2000

--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

"dora" <dora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good day and thakns ahead.
>
> jan 12th 2005 I posted a problem with my AD setup and i'm
> still having problems...
>
> I now want to raise the domain functionnal level to 2000
> native or 2003 domain.
>
> Because the main machine doesn't exist anymore, the other
> one (the last one) doesn't allow me to do any thing
> because it can't fint the PDC. Because of that I canot
> add a new machine (a second one) to my domain. Both will
> be running Windows Server 2003.
>
> I don't want to rely on a single machine like it is the
> case presently.
>
> I followed Mr. Bergson tip (You need to remove the
> orphaned objects.
> Follow http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498 ) and
> managed to clean up a thing or two but I still can't raise
> the domain functionnal level because "the PDC could not be
> contacted". I canot add a second machine to the existing
> Domain.
>

> 1) Am I better to keep on working on the existing problem?
> 2) Can I just back up the users, and re-import them in a
> new domain on a new machine and work from that one
> (restart from scratch. 1 domain with aprx 60 users). It
> can't effect my NTSF settings for the file server!
>

> Can anybody help?
>
> Dora

a short question first. did you seize the PDC Emulator role?

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"dora" <dora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good day and thakns ahead.
>
> jan 12th 2005 I posted a problem with my AD setup and i'm
> still having problems...
>
> I now want to raise the domain functionnal level to 2000
> native or 2003 domain.
>
> Because the main machine doesn't exist anymore, the other
> one (the last one) doesn't allow me to do any thing
> because it can't fint the PDC. Because of that I canot
> add a new machine (a second one) to my domain. Both will
> be running Windows Server 2003.
>
> I don't want to rely on a single machine like it is the
> case presently.
>
> I followed Mr. Bergson tip (You need to remove the
> orphaned objects.
> Follow http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498 ) and
> managed to clean up a thing or two but I still can't raise
> the domain functionnal level because "the PDC could not be
> contacted". I canot add a second machine to the existing
> Domain.
>

> 1) Am I better to keep on working on the existing problem?
> 2) Can I just back up the users, and re-import them in a
> new domain on a new machine and work from that one
> (restart from scratch. 1 domain with aprx 60 users). It
> can't effect my NTSF settings for the file server!
>

> Can anybody help?
>
> Dora

No that's my problem... How do I do that or check it out
on the existing machine? The original is non existant?

Thank you
Dora

Glad to help, after all, we're all in this together.