Adding network printers via command line in AD

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Command Line
  • Workstations
  • Active Directory
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 2, 2005 3:11:04 PM

I've recently learned how to add network printers via the command line for
all users on a workstation. I'm looking to take this a little further, using
the "Add Global Printer Remotely" command I am able to remotely add a printer
to a machine, is there a way for me to possibly add a printer to a large
group of workstations at once, or to an OU in Active Directory?

Thanks in advance!

More about : adding network printers command line

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:49:53 PM

I'm not familiar with that command, but you can easily automate the command
using batch files.

You can also script this kind of thing with VBScript, or any WSH-compatible
script.

There's also a resource-kit tool that I can't remember the name of...

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I've recently learned how to add network printers via the command line for
all users on a workstation. I'm looking to take this a little further,
using
the "Add Global Printer Remotely" command I am able to remotely add a
printer
to a machine, is there a way for me to possibly add a printer to a large
group of workstations at once, or to an OU in Active Directory?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:46:26 AM

Hi,

>is there a way for me to possibly add a printer to a large
>group of workstations at once, or to an OU in Active Directory

Hi,

I use the following in a .bat file and then assign it as a startup
script for computers. I have printers per computer rather than per
user. There are a lot of options including deleting and adding local
printers and setting default printers. Type rundll32
printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /? at the command line to see all the
options.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /q /n "\\server\printer"

I haven’t heard of the "add global printer remotely" command. Where
did you learn of it?

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Adding-ne...