Sign in with
Your question

Stock heatsink.

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2006 5:02:32 PM

When I put togeather my PC, I bought my 3000+ (venice) as a PIB (Processor In a Box). Currently, the cooler that came with it lets me run the 3000+ idle almost at room temperature and never let it beyond 35-36°C heavy load (25°C ambient)
Now, if I upgrade to a 3500+ or 3800+, can I keep my existing cooler or need a new one. Does anybody know if all A64 PIBs come with the same cooler?
What about dual cores?

More about : stock heatsink

July 6, 2006 5:11:14 PM

All boxed CPU come with their own HSF.

I don't see why you would want to use the HSF from a 3000+ with a superior CPU.
July 6, 2006 5:23:46 PM

They're the same cooler...up to the 3500+. I believe all CPUs over the single core 3800+, Toledo dual cores, and Opty's come with a more powerful heatpipe cooler. But why would you want to use the old one? By all means, use the new one!
Related resources
July 6, 2006 5:39:41 PM

Quote:
They're the same cooler...up to the 3500+. I believe all CPUs over the single core 3800+, Toledo dual cores, and Opty's come with a more powerful heatpipe cooler. But why would you want to use the old one? By all means, use the new one!

Because if it is the same that comes with a 3800+ I won't need to get it as a PIB and spend less money. (not to mention the extra heatsink that adds up to my vintage collection 8) )
July 6, 2006 5:45:09 PM

The cost savings aren't that significant... especially when you consider that buying a boxed processor gives you a 3-year warranty as opposed to a 90-day warranty with an OEM. In my opinion, the extra $20 (if that) is well worth the peace of mind that comes with a full warranty.
July 6, 2006 5:52:09 PM

Try it. If it doesn't cool sufficiently, get a new HS. In the mean time, blow a fan into the open case if the cpu is getting too hot while you wait for the new HS to arrive....or, until you go down town and buy one.
July 6, 2006 5:58:34 PM

Buy a new cooler from Arctic Colling,you spend a buck,but it's wort it and it will leave you with good room for some OC'ing
July 6, 2006 6:05:09 PM

Quote:
Try it. If it doesn't cool sufficiently, get a new HS. In the mean time, blow a fan into the open case if the cpu is getting too hot while you wait for the new HS to arrive....or, until you go down town and buy one.

OK, but it's not something of the near future :D 
However, I believe it should work, because (forgot to mention) my current temps are even with the Asus Q-Fan on (the fan spins @ 2200/3400 rpm idle/loaded compared to the max of 4800 it can do)
July 6, 2006 6:45:16 PM

They use the same cooler. The 3500+ temps are 35-45°C (idle-full) with a good case, but if you have a poor or none hexaust case fan they'll rise up to 60°C with a fast graphic card.
Better to buy an after-market good cooler and having a good hexaust fan if you plan to upgrade to 3500+.
July 7, 2006 7:33:58 AM

The CPU is not bad for OCing; it's still cooler than a 3200+ when I am @ 2GHz but when I touch the southbridge after a heavy load, it's hot as steel left in the sun (~70-80°C).
Then I took a look around and it happened that they always "forget" to put heatsinks on All chipsets in a value board; not surprised that with the same chipset you get less OC headroom, it's hot like that even with the defauly parameters :roll: However, going to get a chipset heatsink as soon as I can and fix it.
July 7, 2006 2:48:37 PM

Hoah, in this crappy city of mine didn't manage to find a stupid chipset heatsink so I craved it out of a Slot1 one, looks pretty nice :wink:

take a look:[/img]
http://www.freewebs.com/multid/PIC_0095B.jpg
July 7, 2006 3:41:11 PM

The only way to get a CPU without a HS/F is to buy an OEM CPU, which will come in a big brown box, protected only by packing peanuts. And in most cases, they're not much cheaper than the boxed CPUs.
!