Replacing an AD DC with new AD DC

We are replacing our existing Active Directory Domain Controller File Server
with a new server. We would like to build the new server, promote it toa DC,
transer the roles, demote and remove the original DC. Our only concern is
the server name. Would we be able to rename the server usig hte same name of
the server we removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you,
Julie

    Hello,
    I suppose you can do that using the rename DC feature from Windows 2003. If
    not, you can promote a temp DC transfer everything to it, demote the old
    server, rename or remove it from domain and promote the new server with the
    name you want.

    --
    Andrei Ungureanu
    www.eventid.net

    "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are replacing our existing Active Directory Domain Controller File
    > Server
    > with a new server. We would like to build the new server, promote it toa
    > DC,
    > transer the roles, demote and remove the original DC. Our only concern is
    > the server name. Would we be able to rename the server usig hte same name
    > of
    > the server we removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Julie

    If you don't use the rename option, then you can use these instructions to
    help you follow Andrei's excellent advice:
    -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/

    Note. As Andrei said, you'll need to do this twice -once onto the temporary
    DC, then again onto the renamed (rebuilt?) original DC.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "Andrei Ungureanu" <andreix.nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    Hello,
    I suppose you can do that using the rename DC feature from Windows 2003. If
    not, you can promote a temp DC transfer everything to it, demote the old
    server, rename or remove it from domain and promote the new server with the
    name you want.

    --
    Andrei Ungureanu
    www.eventid.net
    Free Windows event logs reports
    http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/

    "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are replacing our existing Active Directory Domain Controller File
    > Server
    > with a new server. We would like to build the new server, promote it toa
    > DC,
    > transer the roles, demote and remove the original DC. Our only concern is
    > the server name. Would we be able to rename the server usig hte same name
    > of
    > the server we removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Julie

    Since you're posting this in win2000.active_directory, can we assume you're
    talking about a Windows 2000 Server? If so, it's my understanding that it
    cannot be renamed.

    "Julie" wrote:

    > We are replacing our existing Active Directory Domain Controller File Server
    > with a new server. We would like to build the new server, promote it toa DC,
    > transer the roles, demote and remove the original DC. Our only concern is
    > the server name. Would we be able to rename the server usig hte same name of
    > the server we removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Julie

Servers Domain Controller Active Directory Windows