Replacing an AD DC with new AD DC

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
February 3, 2005 2:51:03 PM

We are replacing our existing Active Directory Domain Controller File Server
with a new server. We would like to build the new server, promote it toa DC,
transer the roles, demote and remove the original DC. Our only concern is
the server name. Would we be able to rename the server usig hte same name of
the server we removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you,
Julie

More about : replacing

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:59:22 AM

Hello,
I suppose you can do that using the rename DC feature from Windows 2003. If
not, you can promote a temp DC transfer everything to it, demote the old
server, rename or remove it from domain and promote the new server with the
name you want.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are replacing our existing Active Directory Domain Controller File
> Server
> with a new server. We would like to build the new server, promote it toa
> DC,
> transer the roles, demote and remove the original DC. Our only concern is
> the server name. Would we be able to rename the server usig hte same name
> of
> the server we removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Thank you,
> Julie
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:51:12 PM

If you don't use the rename option, then you can use these instructions to
help you follow Andrei's excellent advice:
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/

Note. As Andrei said, you'll need to do this twice -once onto the temporary
DC, then again onto the renamed (rebuilt?) original DC.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Andrei Ungureanu" <andreix.nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o %235ReriCFHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Hello,
I suppose you can do that using the rename DC feature from Windows 2003. If
not, you can promote a temp DC transfer everything to it, demote the old
server, rename or remove it from domain and promote the new server with the
name you want.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net
Free Windows event logs reports
http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are replacing our existing Active Directory Domain Controller File
> Server
> with a new server. We would like to build the new server, promote it toa
> DC,
> transer the roles, demote and remove the original DC. Our only concern is
> the server name. Would we be able to rename the server usig hte same name
> of
> the server we removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Thank you,
> Julie
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:55:03 PM

Since you're posting this in win2000.active_directory, can we assume you're
talking about a Windows 2000 Server? If so, it's my understanding that it
cannot be renamed.

!