Cannot log in to a user

When I boot up my computer everything seems to load fine
up to the point that you get the screen allowing you to
choose which user to log into. When you select a user it
appears to start to log on to the user but then
immediately logs back off so your back where you
started. I've also been noticing extremely slow
performance of the machine. Suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot user

    Hi Dan,

    Run a spyware cleaner lately? The userinit value may have been corrupted by
    the removal of blazefind. It adds wsaupdater.exe to the logon value in the
    system registry, sometimes appending it, sometimes replacing it. Running
    Adaware or other cleaners detects and removes wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't
    correct the registry damage. If this is the case, then you may need to load
    the registry hive from another installation and change it. This is the key:

    Userinit string value should be:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

    On the damaged installations it's one of these:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,

    Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
    below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
    restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
    it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
    commands:

    C:\Windows>
    C:\Windows>copy C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe

    Then you can exit once completed.

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy set mentioned in the
    above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
    copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM installation
    that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot up my computer everything seems to load fine
    > up to the point that you get the screen allowing you to
    > choose which user to log into. When you select a user it
    > appears to start to log on to the user but then
    > immediately logs back off so your back where you
    > started. I've also been noticing extremely slow
    > performance of the machine. Suggestions?

    Rick,
    Looks like I have the same problem. After I ran the
    Adaware last night - it started with my Internet Explorer
    not responding then today when I tried to logon, it
    kicked me right out. I'm just not sure about the recovery
    console. I have a compaq computer - it came with
    a "system recovery" CDs. Is this the same console?

    Help! Harry

    >Run a spyware cleaner lately? The userinit value may
    have been corrupted by
    >the removal of blazefind. It adds wsaupdater.exe to the
    logon value in the
    >system registry, sometimes appending it, sometimes
    replacing it. Running
    >Adaware or other cleaners detects and removes
    wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't
    >correct the registry damage. If this is the case, then
    you may need to load
    >the registry hive from another installation and change
    it. This is the key:

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    >Userinit string value should be:
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    >
    >On the damaged installations it's one of these:
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32
    \wsaupdater.exe,

    >Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the
    Recovery Console (see
    >below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the
    command prompt, then
    >restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry
    value back to what
    >it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do
    this, use these
    >commands:
    >
    >C:\Windows>
    >C:\Windows>copy C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe
    >C:\Windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe
    >
    >Then you can exit once completed.
    >
    >HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows
    XP [Q307654]
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
    >
    >This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy
    set mentioned in the
    >above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery
    Console so that you can
    >copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have
    an OEM installation
    >that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.
    >
    >--
    >Best of Luck,
    >
    >Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    >"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> When I boot up my computer everything seems to load
    fine
    >> up to the point that you get the screen allowing you to
    >> choose which user to log into. When you select a user
    it
    >> appears to start to log on to the user but then
    >> immediately logs back off so your back where you
    >> started. I've also been noticing extremely slow
    >> performance of the machine. Suggestions?
    >

    >.

    Thanks for the help Rick. I have been running adaware. Unfortunately my PC
    proficiency is not quite to your level. Can you help me in more laymen
    terms? In the section where you were comparing the userinit strings, are you
    saying that if I look at the userinit string and it does not say
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe that I should change it to that string? Do
    I start up in safe mode and get to a DOS screen to change this? Thanks for
    helping out the "computer dummy"

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > Run a spyware cleaner lately? The userinit value may have been corrupted by
    > the removal of blazefind. It adds wsaupdater.exe to the logon value in the
    > system registry, sometimes appending it, sometimes replacing it. Running
    > Adaware or other cleaners detects and removes wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't
    > correct the registry damage. If this is the case, then you may need to load
    > the registry hive from another installation and change it. This is the key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    >
    > Userinit string value should be:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    >
    > On the damaged installations it's one of these:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    >
    > Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
    > below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
    > restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
    > it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
    > commands:
    >
    > C:\Windows>
    > C:\Windows>copy C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe
    > C:\Windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe
    >
    > Then you can exit once completed.
    >
    > HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
    >
    > This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy set mentioned in the
    > above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
    > copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM installation
    > that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I boot up my computer everything seems to load fine
    > > up to the point that you get the screen allowing you to
    > > choose which user to log into. When you select a user it
    > > appears to start to log on to the user but then
    > > immediately logs back off so your back where you
    > > started. I've also been noticing extremely slow
    > > performance of the machine. Suggestions?

    Hi Harry,

    No, it's not. You will want to use the boot floppy set:

    Home edition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33290

    Professional edition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33291

    --

    "Harry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Rick,
    > Looks like I have the same problem. After I ran the
    > Adaware last night - it started with my Internet Explorer
    > not responding then today when I tried to logon, it
    > kicked me right out. I'm just not sure about the recovery
    > console. I have a compaq computer - it came with
    > a "system recovery" CDs. Is this the same console?
    >
    > Help! Harry

    Hi Dan,

    First, you will need to get into the system. To do that, you need to load
    the Recovery Console, either through the boot floppy set or by booting the
    CD. Then copy the userinit file to wsaupdater using the command line as I
    already mentioned. This is what will allow you to logon, though it is not
    the end of the work you need to do.

    Then click start/run, type regedit and click ok. Click the plus (+) signs to
    reach the logon key, then look at the userinit value in the right pane by
    double clicking it. You need to change it as indicated.

    > In the section where you were comparing the userinit strings, are you
    > saying that if I look at the userinit string and it does not say
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe that I should change it to that string?

    Yes, but don't forget the trailing comma.

    > Do I start up in safe mode and get to a DOS screen to change this?

    Not from Safe mode. You use the Recovery Console to copy the userinit file,
    this allows you to get past the logon screen. Then you can fix the registery
    from normal mode.

    --

> [...]
    >> the
    >> above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
    >> copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM
    >> installation
    >> that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I boot up my computer everything seems to load fine
    >> > up to the point that you get the screen allowing you to
    >> > choose which user to log into. When you select a user it
    >> > appears to start to log on to the user but then
    >> > immediately logs back off so your back where you
    >> > started. I've also been noticing extremely slow
    >> > performance of the machine. Suggestions?

Login Microsoft Windows XP