bunraku

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Hi

Have made my last 3 PC's .
I basically use my PC for gaming and want to keep up with the latest games.

My Current Rig is about 2 Years old and 2 Years ago i thought my Rig was capable of handling or running any game out there for the next few years'but how wrong i've been. :(

I can play games like Rome Total War and Lockon Modern Air Combat'SH3 comfortably just now but struggle a bit with Battlefield 2 unless the fancy lightings turned off.
The games i am looking to get in the future are Medieval Total War 2
and Operation Flashpoint 2: Armed Assault.

My Rig is

AMD XP3200+
1GB DDR400 RAM
ATI 9800 PRO
AUDIGY LS
ABIT NF7 MOBO

As i have'nt built anything for a couple of years there's been several new things appears. Athlon 64's and now there Athlon X2 chips and new and new ATI and Nvidia Graphics cards.

The problem is because of my 2 year sabatical i'm note sure what to go for ?
My budgets going to be about £1000(UK) for all the components i need
So i don't know whats the big difference between 64's and X2 athlons and wether to go for ATI(Not sure which) or Nvidia??

Any advice appreciated.

Thanx

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
You could wait for Conroe and get a nice system for 1,000 Pounds such as:

E6600
No idea about the motherboard but get something that will support Kentsfield
2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 OCZ Gold or Corsair XMS RAM
X1800XT 512MB or X1900XT 256MB
Antec TruePower II 550W Power Supply
At least 120GB SeaGate Barracuda

Or you can get an AM2 system now:

AM2 3800+ (Not X2)
Asus M2N-E
2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 Corsair XMS RAM since OCZ Gold is not compatible
X1900XT 512MB
Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W Power Supply or the one in the Conroe system
At least 120GB SeaGate Barracuda

Choose the case, optical drive, floppy drive that you want, etc;

The reason I don't recommend going dual-core on AM2 now is because they're going to get a price cut on the 24th of July (This month) and by then, you might as well go Conroe, right? :twisted: If you can wait, definitely go Conroe, if you can't, obviously go AM2. Conroe IS significantly better than AM2 (The E6600 processor I'm talking about will sell for around $400 and will perform around the same as the AM2 FX-62 which is selling for over $1,000. Sorry but I don't know currency rates but you do realize that AM2 FX-62 is over double the price of the E6600 processor that performs about the same. You can see I prefer Corsair and OCZ over other brands but that's just me. I think Mushkin kinda overprices some of their RAM although I'm pretty sure they perform well :D

Hope this post helped you, :idea: :arrow: