Site Links

If I create a site link between 2 sites and put a time interval of 30
minutes, does this mean that no replication including changes to AD Users &
Computers get updated between sites for that 30 minute duration? Is so, is
there a way to have AD User & Computer changes replicated immediately?

Thanks
Johny

You are correct in that replication will be every 30 min. Some things like
password changes and account disabling are immediate though. If you need
immediate replication, you can put them into the same site and encaps RPC...
but that is a really bad idea.

The other option is to make changes that affect that site on that server and
let them replicate to the core in their own time.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Johnny Wright" <lactoz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If I create a site link between 2 sites and put a time interval of 30
> minutes, does this mean that no replication including changes to AD Users
> &
> Computers get updated between sites for that 30 minute duration? Is so,
> is
> there a way to have AD User & Computer changes replicated immediately?
>
> Thanks
> Johny

In addition to Ryan's comments, you can always force an immediate replication
request via repadmin tool or AD Sites & Services mmc snap-in.

"Johnny Wright" wrote:

> If I create a site link between 2 sites and put a time interval of 30
> minutes, does this mean that no replication including changes to AD Users &
> Computers get updated between sites for that 30 minute duration? Is so, is
> there a way to have AD User & Computer changes replicated immediately?
>
> Thanks
> Johny

I have 3 sites. One site appears to be updating things like disabled
account very quickly while the other site takes a very long time to reflect
the changes. I have deleted the AD Sites & Services connections and let
Windows recreate them but this has not made a difference. The site that is
reponding slowly to changes is also on a much faster link.

Any ideas?
Thanks Johnny

"Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
> You are correct in that replication will be every 30 min. Some things
like
> password changes and account disabling are immediate though. If you need
> immediate replication, you can put them into the same site and encaps
RPC...
> but that is a really bad idea.
>
> The other option is to make changes that affect that site on that server
and
> let them replicate to the core in their own time.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> Flagship Integration Services
>
> "Johnny Wright" <lactoz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If I create a site link between 2 sites and put a time interval of 30
> > minutes, does this mean that no replication including changes to AD
Users
> > &
> > Computers get updated between sites for that 30 minute duration? Is so,
> > is
> > there a way to have AD User & Computer changes replicated immediately?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Johny

You can also enable inter-site change notifications, which basically means
the DCs in this site will act as if they were in the same site as the site
on the other end of the link:
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/32/47/

This has benefits over making everything the same site, as you still
localise traffic, but have the DCs replicate changes in a much faster
manner.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Johnny Wright" <lactoz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
If I create a site link between 2 sites and put a time interval of 30
minutes, does this mean that no replication including changes to AD Users &
Computers get updated between sites for that 30 minute duration? Is so, is
there a way to have AD User & Computer changes replicated immediately?

Thanks
Johny

When you disable an account, make a password change, etc. the DC that you
made this change on immediately sends a notification trigger to the PDCe.
This is known as an urgent notification trigger. This is only between the
originating DC and the PDCe however. After that, changes replicate normally
from the PDCe and the originating DC.

If you make this change on a site, the DC will notify the PDCe. Other sites
still won't replicate this until normal replication interval. However, if
you type a password in that's different to that the DC holds, the DC queries
the PDCe. Therefore password changes, and lockouts are immediate even if
not all DCs are in full sync.

See my other post regarding intersite change notification if you're worried
about this. However, you should also follow Ryan's advice about making
changes locally, i.e. on the DC in the local site if you can.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

I have 3 sites. One site appears to be updating things like disabled
account very quickly while the other site takes a very long time to reflect
the changes. I have deleted the AD Sites & Services connections and let
Windows recreate them but this has not made a difference. The site that is
reponding slowly to changes is also on a much faster link.

Any ideas?
Thanks Johnny

"Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
> You are correct in that replication will be every 30 min. Some things
like
> password changes and account disabling are immediate though. If you need
> immediate replication, you can put them into the same site and encaps
RPC...
> but that is a really bad idea.
>
> The other option is to make changes that affect that site on that server
and
> let them replicate to the core in their own time.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> Flagship Integration Services
>
> "Johnny Wright" <lactoz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If I create a site link between 2 sites and put a time interval of 30
> > minutes, does this mean that no replication including changes to AD
Users
> > &
> > Computers get updated between sites for that 30 minute duration? Is so,
> > is
> > there a way to have AD User & Computer changes replicated immediately?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Johny

This can be an option in a smaller environment... especially when the links
are undersubscribed.

In a larger environment where you have multiple routes to sites and busy
links this would be the kiss of death. (a fine mistress she be... argh.)
Consider this an option, but know what impact it may have.