Rename Domain

tp

HI...

I have 10 diffrenet windows server 2000 and windows server 2003.
i have active directory 2000 on one windows server 2000 and i have
exchange server 2003 .

Now i got situation that we need to rename our domain because new compnay
merger

Pls advice me what setp i have to take , i read artical on microsoft knowledge
but it seems you cannot rename if you have windows 2000 active directory
pls advice me what steps i can do

-TP

Do you really have to rename the MS domain? Or do you just want to have your
Internet Presents set to a New dot com name?
Two Different things. Second is easy as pie. First is near Impossible.
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.
"tp" <tp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI...
>
> I have 10 diffrenet windows server 2000 and windows server 2003.
> i have active directory 2000 on one windows server 2000 and i have
> exchange server 2003 .
>
> Now i got situation that we need to rename our domain because new compnay
> merger
>
> Pls advice me what setp i have to take , i read artical on microsoft
> knowledge
> but it seems you cannot rename if you have windows 2000 active directory
> pls advice me what steps i can do
>
> -TP

You cannot rename a windows 2000 domain without rebuilding it from scratch.
You may want to talk to the business and understand WHY the domain needs to
be changed. You should be looking into doing a migration from one domain to
another.

--
BRIAN EDWARDO
"tp" <tp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI...
>
> I have 10 diffrenet windows server 2000 and windows server 2003.
> i have active directory 2000 on one windows server 2000 and i have
> exchange server 2003 .
>
> Now i got situation that we need to rename our domain because new compnay
> merger
>
> Pls advice me what setp i have to take , i read artical on microsoft
> knowledge
> but it seems you cannot rename if you have windows 2000 active directory
> pls advice me what steps i can do
>
> -TP

1 - Why do you think you need to rename your internal domain name?

2 - If you have to rename your Active Directory domain, you must first
upgrade the domain to Windows Server 2003 and set the Forest Functional
Level to 2003. However, you have Exchange Server in the mix ...

Renaming domains is one thing. Renaming domains with Exchange Server
installed is quite another (although it can be done with Exchange Server
2003)

Here's the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/domainrename.mspx

-ds

"tp" <tp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI...
>
> I have 10 diffrenet windows server 2000 and windows server 2003.
> i have active directory 2000 on one windows server 2000 and i have
> exchange server 2003 .
>
> Now i got situation that we need to rename our domain because new compnay
> merger
>
> Pls advice me what setp i have to take , i read artical on microsoft
> knowledge
> but it seems you cannot rename if you have windows 2000 active directory
> pls advice me what steps i can do
>
> -TP

tp

Hi...
Thanks for reply

we are changing out indentity that is adc.com to xyz.com also all email
will going to change to *@xyz.com and in exchange server you can receive
multiple domain message but for sending mail you have to have single active
directory domain that is in my case current "abc.com" and thats why I have to
go for change active directory domain name to xyz.com

if you have any alternative pls let me know , also i can got for any third
party tool because we have large data on exchange

Thanks
-TP

"Dave Shaw [MVP]" wrote:

> 1 - Why do you think you need to rename your internal domain name?
>
> 2 - If you have to rename your Active Directory domain, you must first
> upgrade the domain to Windows Server 2003 and set the Forest Functional
> Level to 2003. However, you have Exchange Server in the mix ...
>
> Renaming domains is one thing. Renaming domains with Exchange Server
> installed is quite another (although it can be done with Exchange Server
> 2003)
>
> Here's the link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/domainrename.mspx
>

> -ds
>

> "tp" <tp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI...
> >
> > I have 10 diffrenet windows server 2000 and windows server 2003.
> > i have active directory 2000 on one windows server 2000 and i have
> > exchange server 2003 .
> >
> > Now i got situation that we need to rename our domain because new compnay
> > merger
> >
> > Pls advice me what setp i have to take , i read artical on microsoft
> > knowledge
> > but it seems you cannot rename if you have windows 2000 active directory
> > pls advice me what steps i can do
> >
> > -TP

I'm still unsure as to why you need to change the name. I run Exchange
server 2003 within an internal domain that has a completely different domain
name than the one seen from outside *or* inside.

For example -

My internal domain name might be: abc.ds.ca.us

and my external DNS name might be: abc.org

All users (internal and external) send mail to or from <name>@abc.org
without problem.

-ds

> Hi...
> Thanks for reply
>
> we are changing out indentity that is adc.com to xyz.com also all email
> will going to change to *@xyz.com and in exchange server you can receive
> multiple domain message but for sending mail you have to have single
> active
> directory domain that is in my case current "abc.com" and thats why I have
> go for change active directory domain name to xyz.com
>
> if you have any alternative pls let me know , also i can got for any third
> party tool because we have large data on exchange
>
> Thanks
> -TP
>

> "Dave Shaw [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1 - Why do you think you need to rename your internal domain name?
>>
>> 2 - If you have to rename your Active Directory domain, you must first
>> upgrade the domain to Windows Server 2003 and set the Forest Functional
>> Level to 2003. However, you have Exchange Server in the mix ...
>>
>> Renaming domains is one thing. Renaming domains with Exchange Server
>> installed is quite another (although it can be done with Exchange Server
>> 2003)
>>
>> Here's the link:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/domainrename.mspx
>>

>> -ds
>>

>> "tp" <tp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > HI...
>> >
>> > I have 10 diffrenet windows server 2000 and windows server 2003.
>> > i have active directory 2000 on one windows server 2000 and i have
>> > exchange server 2003 .
>> >
>> > Now i got situation that we need to rename our domain because new
>> > compnay
>> > merger
>> >
>> > Pls advice me what setp i have to take , i read artical on microsoft
>> > knowledge
>> > but it seems you cannot rename if you have windows 2000 active
>> > directory
>> > pls advice me what steps i can do
>> >
>> > -TP

Tp,

I beleve you can acomplish all of this by adjusting your recipeint policy's
you can create many diffrent custom policy's. By creating custom policys some
user can have primary address of abc.com, and others can have xyz.com. You
can also manually add new primary address.

~BB