Can't add computer to domain

I have a small home network with a 2000 server. I am able to add my XP and
NT4 machines to the domain without any problems, but I have 1 2000 machine
that I keep getting an error when I try to join to the domain. After I
supply the domain account info, I get the error "network path not found". I
can go to My Network Places and see the domain there. I can also creat the
computer account on my server and can open the manage screen for it (though I
don't have permissions to do anything on it). Can someone please point me in
the right direction.

"djenks" <djenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a small home network with a 2000 server. I am able to add my XP
and
> NT4 machines to the domain without any problems, but I have 1 2000 machine
> that I keep getting an error when I try to join to the domain. After I
> supply the domain account info, I get the error "network path not found".
> can go to My Network Places and see the domain there.

Assuming you can ping etc?

Usually it is name resolution. Is the problem machine
a DNS client of STRICTLY you internal DNS.

Of course your DC must do that too, and DNS must be
dynamic for AD to work properly, but since you other
(XP) machine works it is likely a client misconfiguration.

> I can also creat the
> computer account on my server and can open the manage screen for it
(though I
> don't have permissions to do anything on it). Can someone please point me
in
> the right direction.

Failure to locate the DC or to authenticate.

--
Herb Martin

Thanks for the reply. Sorry posted this late at night. Yeah, they can both
ping each other, I can drill down to each computer through My Network Places,
and I can open up shares both ways via run-\\computer\share. I'll start
picking the 2000 apart since they other XP's, 2000's, and NT's work fine.
Thanks again.

> Thanks for the reply. Sorry posted this late at night. Yeah, they can
both
> ping each other, I can drill down to each computer through My Network
Places,
> and I can open up shares both ways via run-\\computer\share. I'll start
> picking the 2000 apart since they other XP's, 2000's, and NT's work fine.

I was ASSUMING you could ping.

Did you understand about the DNS settings on the NICs?

Also:

DNS for AD
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domain (either directly or indirectly)

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC and/or use:

nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

Single Lable domain zone names are a problem Google:
[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

Charlie

I swear I saw this same sort of thing way back on W2K without any service
packs.
If your W2K machine is at least at SP2, then ignore this.

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I swear I saw this same sort of thing way back on W2K without any service
> packs.
> If your W2K machine is at least at SP2, then ignore this.
>
> "djenks" wrote:
>
> > I have a small home network with a 2000 server. I am able to add my XP
and
> > NT4 machines to the domain without any problems, but I have 1 2000
machine
> > that I keep getting an error when I try to join to the domain. After I
> > supply the domain account info, I get the error "network path not
found". I
> > can go to My Network Places and see the domain there. I can also creat
the
> > computer account on my server and can open the manage screen for it
(though I
> > don't have permissions to do anything on it). Can someone please point
me in
> > the right direction.

It's almost always DNS or WINS issues -- and
these are NOT directly related to Explorer or
My Network Places.

[See my post elsewhere this thread.]

Of course Service Packs are a GENERALLY good
idea anyway.

--
Herb Martin