Sign in with
Your question

A Wierd Half-Life 2 problem.

Last response: in Video Games
October 6, 2005 3:06:42 AM

Hey all,

I just installed Half-Life 2 because i'm very excited about my new ATi Radeon x800 XL 256MB =). But i'm very sad because i can't get HL2 to run. I remember playing the demo and thought i would finally install the full version.

My problem is, after i succesfuly install the game and click on the shortcut (or HL2.exe), and if i try to launch it from steam, <b>nothing</b> happens. I get an hourglass icon for a second, and then nothing. The only thing it does is opens HL2.exe in my "Processes" tab in task manager, and does nothing. I have installed it on my Pentium 4 laptop and the game ran fine.

Now, i think there are three posibilites to why my game won't start up on this particular PC:

1) It's because it has an AMD Athlon 64-bit processor.
2) The game doesn't like the version of Catalyst drivers i have.
3) HL2 is having some kind of conflict with my x800 for some reason...

This works on my Laptop, with a P4 2.8 Ghz w/ an ATi Radeon x600 PCIe but not my AMD Athlon 3400+ w/ a radeon x800xl.
Can you guys help me out? Thanks.
October 6, 2005 3:10:46 AM

My full PC's specs should now be in my signature.

AMD Athlon 3400+ 64-Bit processor
1GB of pc3200 RAM
ATi Radeon X800 XL Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
October 6, 2005 12:59:31 PM

Have you registered your HL2 copy online, via Steam? If you do not have an internet connection the first time you want to play it, it won't work.

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>
Related resources
October 6, 2005 1:54:46 PM

None of your 'possiblities' are the reason it isn't working.

As above - Have you unlocked the game files via steam?

</font color=white><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red></b>
October 8, 2005 8:06:01 PM

Well, there are couple things you guys missed - This also happens on the DEMO which i made sure i used 100% how steam instructed, and when i click "Launch Game" or whatever after it's updated <b>through steam </b> it has the same affect. Nothing happens. I have also done the same with my full version -- i launched it through steam and nothing happened.

The fact that both the demo and full version won't work on my main PC, and the fact that I installed it exactly the same way on my laptop tells me that there is something up with my hardware...

Far Cry would not launch with a certain set of drivers i had (back with one of my nvidia cards), so that's one of the first things that came to mind -- a video card driver problem.

AMD Athlon 3400+ 64-Bit processor
1GB of pc3200 RAM
ATi Radeon X800 XL Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
October 8, 2005 9:04:35 PM

well try it the new drivers... Don't launch the game from STEAM.

make sure your FIREWALL is allowing that application to access internet.

go to like.. Start/Programs/Valve-half life 2... or whatever folders it's in and try to launch the game that way.

hope that helps cause that game is AWESOME!!

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
October 8, 2005 9:53:13 PM

I know that when I couldn't get my Half-Life 2 working I had to tweak some of the files.

Try this:

Go into Program Files>Valve>Steam>SteamApps>(userID folder) and locate the Half-Life 2 folder. In it, you will find a bin folder. Copy all the files from the bin folder and copy them into the main Half-Life 2 folder.

This worked for me. I also had to do this to get Day of Defeat Source to work for me.

Good luck.

--
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle
1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
ATI 9800np 256-bit 128mb(@ 416/340)
3dMark01: 20,503 3dMark03: 6359 Aquamark3: 46,653
October 10, 2005 8:35:22 AM

Or how about going to the dedicated forums run for steam/HL2. Bet you might find a more suitable answer there.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
!