Wi-Fi AP

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean literally -- can you configure a separate AP using a wireless connection instead of a wired connection, then I'd say maybe -- this would entirely depend upon the AP (whether or not it had wireless and wireless administration enabled out of the box without security -- really they shouldn't as this is not secure). You'd generally be much better off doing such things with wired connections -- they would help you diagnose the wireless connections without going through the wireless part itself to do so.

If you mean to ask is there a wireless device that can double as both a wireless client and a wireless server, then the answer is yes -- there are some such devices on the market, although none that I know of are "cards".

Here's one such device:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=346

If you can sacrifice portability, then a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT can also do this and more.

derek101700

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
you mean you want your wireless card to become an wireless access point

that would be ad-hoc

hard to do thou

infrastructure/ad-hoc

the 2 modes

dont recommend it thou

ahachie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

I know this is a very old thread, but Im trying to exactly what you said in your reply. I have ethernet broadband desktop, and just bought iPhone. I want to use wi fi for internet stuff on iPhone because it doesnt count towards the 1GB limit rogers wireless imposes.