Your favourite books in Morrowind

For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting my
own library. :D

I have gathered up all the books that were worth more than 100gp in
value to my manor house (the Hlaalo Manor in Balmora, nevermind the
corpse at the stairs it's just the previous owner... *grin*)

Anyway. It all started rather innocently when I noticed I had become
entrapped by one of the stories. I'v forgotten which one. And I found
out I wanted to know more. Since then I've been hoocked.

My latest finding and my current favourite is "Book of Palla Part 3" or
something similar. It's a startling tale of a young student of
Enchantments who becomes insanely possesed by his love for a woman who
he never even met and who on top of all is dead. He's insanity leads to
him trying to bring his love back to life. The end is a real shocker and
still gives me the shivers. Too bad I havent seen the earlier parts.

If you'r interested I believe it is in the Traders shop in Tel Mora.
Sorry if I cant be too accurate but it's late here and I'm half asleep
already. I'll check out the place tomorrow and tell you if thats where
it really is.

If you have a favourite please do let me know.

-M

Miika Turtiainen wrote:

> For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
> every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting my
> own library. :D

There is a mod which I love, called Balmora University. It's virtually
a cheat, since it makes it very easy to level up.

The university has an AWESOME library. Anything that is really good to
read is there. :)

Miika Turtiainen wrote:
> For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
> every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting
> my own library. :D
>
> I have gathered up all the books that were worth more than 100gp in
> value to my manor house (the Hlaalo Manor in Balmora, nevermind the
> corpse at the stairs it's just the previous owner... *grin*)
>
> Anyway. It all started rather innocently when I noticed I had become
> entrapped by one of the stories. I'v forgotten which one. And I found
> out I wanted to know more. Since then I've been hoocked.
>
> My latest finding and my current favourite is "Book of Palla Part 3"
> or something similar. It's a startling tale of a young student of
> Enchantments who becomes insanely possesed by his love for a woman who
> he never even met and who on top of all is dead. He's insanity leads
> to him trying to bring his love back to life. The end is a real
> shocker and still gives me the shivers. Too bad I havent seen the
> earlier parts.
>
> If you'r interested I believe it is in the Traders shop in Tel Mora.
> Sorry if I cant be too accurate but it's late here and I'm half asleep
> already. I'll check out the place tomorrow and tell you if thats where
> it really is.
>
> If you have a favourite please do let me know.
>
> -M

Hmm. I have been collecting all the candles, lamps and lanterns I can
find and taking them to Mudcrab Island. Now, affectionately called the
Isle of Light :) A quip off the English Isle of Wight of course :)
I've read a few of the books, especially when I first started out almost
two years ago. Most of the books I've found are at the book trader in
Ald Ruhn with a few of the 'important' ones (any that caused an entry in
my journal for instance) I have stashed with the rest of my stuff in the
Temple courtyard in Ald Ruhn. Why there? At the time I started, it was
an interesting place, in the middle of everywhere I was exploring. It
would take me a real week to move everything to somewhere else now! So
I haven't missed collecting any books either. I guess I should start
reading some more of these :)
McG.

It's hard to say which I like best, since there are so many good texts
within the game. You could put together a pretty decent fantasy fiction
anthology just from the short stories within the game. The writing is
really amazing -- even the nonsensical Sermons of Vivec are good.

But the first one that came to mind is a short story about a cowardly
daedra and a mortal archer, Vernaccus and Bourlor. Even the frame story
is funny, with good characterization.

ToolPackinMama wrote:
> Miika Turtiainen wrote:
>>
>> For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
>> every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting
>> my own library. :D
>
> There is a mod which I love, called Balmora University. It's
> virtually a cheat, since it makes it very easy to level up.
>
> The university has an AWESOME library. Anything that is really good
> to read is there. :)

Actually, it sounds pretty good to me!
McG.

"Brian G. Vaughan" wrote:

> It's hard to say which I like best, since there are so many good texts
> within the game. You could put together a pretty decent fantasy fiction
> anthology just from the short stories within the game. The writing is
> really amazing

That is so true.

McGrandpa wrote:

> Actually, it sounds pretty good to me!
> McG.

If you go to the GameFAQs page for Morrowind,

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/3365.html

and click on "Book Guide," you can download a file with the complete
text of every book in the game.

You can also read them within "The Elder Scrolls Construction Set," of
course.

McGrandpa wrote:

> ToolPackinMama wrote:
> > Miika Turtiainen wrote:
> >>
> >> For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
> >> every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting
> >> my own library. :D
> >
> > There is a mod which I love, called Balmora University. It's
> > virtually a cheat, since it makes it very easy to level up.
> >
> > The university has an AWESOME library. Anything that is really good
> > to read is there. :)
>
> Actually, it sounds pretty good to me!

It IS good! Some of those stories are top notch, and I was tired of
being frustrated because I couldn't find all of the parts.

ToolPackinMama wrote:

> Miika Turtiainen wrote:
>
>>For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
>>every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting my
>>own library. :D
>

> There is a mod which I love, called Balmora University. It's virtually
> a cheat, since it makes it very easy to level up.
>
> The university has an AWESOME library. Anything that is really good to
> read is there. :)

aaaaawwww.... thats kinda cool but takes away all the fun. :p

-M

Miika Turtiainen wrote:

> ToolPackinMama wrote:

> > There is a mod which I love, called Balmora University. It's virtually
> > a cheat, since it makes it very easy to level up.
> >
> > The university has an AWESOME library. Anything that is really good to
> > read is there. :)
>
> aaaaawwww.... thats kinda cool but takes away all the fun. :p

Opinion noted.

Note-------------
"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> Miika Turtiainen wrote:
> >
> > ToolPackinMama wrote:
>
> > > There is a mod which I love, called Balmora University. It's
virtually
> > > a cheat, since it makes it very easy to level up.
> > >
> > > The university has an AWESOME library. Anything that is really good
> > > read is there. :)
> >
> > aaaaawwww.... thats kinda cool but takes away all the fun. :p
>
> Opinion noted.
Tool packin mama is one of the better informed and helpful players here.
Listen to her. All her advice is useful.

Dennis Curtis wrote:

> Note-------------
> "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> > Miika Turtiainen wrote:

> virtually

> > > aaaaawwww.... thats kinda cool but takes away all the fun. :p
> >
> > Opinion noted.

> Tool packin mama is one of the better informed and helpful players here.
> Listen to her. All her advice is useful.

Thank you, Dennis. :)

Brian G. Vaughan wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Actually, it sounds pretty good to me!
>> McG.
>
> If you go to the GameFAQs page for Morrowind,
>
> http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/3365.html
>
> and click on "Book Guide," you can download a file with the complete
> text of every book in the game.
>
> You can also read them within "The Elder Scrolls Construction Set," of
> course.

Right, I already knew about TCS. I just liked the idea of a library
in-game :)
McG.

Dennis Curtis wrote:
> Note-------------
> "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
>
>>Miika Turtiainen wrote:

> virtually

>>>aaaaawwww.... thats kinda cool but takes away all the fun. :p
>>
>>Opinion noted.
>
> Tool packin mama is one of the better informed and helpful players here.
> Listen to her. All her advice is useful.

duly noted. :)

I'd love a university of my own like that. But I'm so much of a
collector that I want to go out and find the books. Hunting for them is
just as fun as hoarding them.

-M

dark

Someone else seemed to enjoy this series enough to do a mod concerning the
story. I believe I downloaded it from MorrowindSummit, although I'm not
positive about that. Interesting story-line and I go back to that particular
game occasionally to see if I can get un-stuck. *grin* (Can't seem to find
one of the contacts the rest of the story depends on and it's unclear to me
how to proceed. Guess I'll start it over and see if I did something wrong
along the way. In fact, looking at the mod now, it has "Lite" in the data
file name, so I may even do a web search for more info, if available. It may
have been a preview version of a larger work in progress.)
The name of the mod is BC_Palla_Quest_Lite.esp, if you're interested. I no
longer have a "readme" file for it, if there ever was one, it's been a
while...

dark

Ooops! Should have done a little research before posting originally. To give
the proper credit for the mod, the "BC" stands for Big Chief and his Palla
mod, along with some others by him and others can be found at
http://thelys.mwsource.com/index.php
as well as MorrowindSummit.

Sorry

MERLIN

"Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
> every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting my
> own library. :D
>
> I have gathered up all the books that were worth more than 100gp in
> value to my manor house (the Hlaalo Manor in Balmora, nevermind the
> corpse at the stairs it's just the previous owner... *grin*)

If you sprain an ankle or break something, you can
just remove him (in the editor by unchecking the
'permanence' or drop him on a bed somewhere)

merlin

> Anyway. It all started rather innocently when I noticed I had become
> entrapped by one of the stories. I'v forgotten which one. And I found
> out I wanted to know more. Since then I've been hoocked.
>
> My latest finding and my current favourite is "Book of Palla Part 3" or
> something similar. It's a startling tale of a young student of
> Enchantments who becomes insanely possesed by his love for a woman who
> he never even met and who on top of all is dead. He's insanity leads to
> him trying to bring his love back to life. The end is a real shocker and
> still gives me the shivers. Too bad I havent seen the earlier parts.
>
> If you'r interested I believe it is in the Traders shop in Tel Mora.
> Sorry if I cant be too accurate but it's late here and I'm half asleep
> already. I'll check out the place tomorrow and tell you if thats where
> it really is.
>
> If you have a favourite please do let me know.
>
> -M

MERLIN

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> skrev i en meddelelse
> Miika Turtiainen wrote:
> >
> > For a long time I only gave the books in morrowind a cursory glance
> > every now and then, but with my current char I started up collecting
my
> > own library. :D
>
> There is a mod which I love, called Balmora University. It's virtually
> a cheat, since it makes it very easy to level up.
>
> The university has an AWESOME library. Anything that is really good to
> read is there. :)

there are a few mods who includes a complete library.
Other mods just fills it with lots of duplicates and chose
them for looks and not for content.
Anyway, all the books are to be found somewhere in
Morrowind. Tribunal and Bloodmoon adds their own
extra sets of books

there is one mod: 20books (or something like that)
that adds 20 books of the authors choice)
Another mod adds a selection of books from 'the
Daggerfall game
And then there is one, that adds an un-censored
version of the Barenziah story

'complete formularies' adds a very complete
list of recipes for an alchemist
The playhouse mod contains two books:
a list of ingredients and a list of recipes
both compiled by the author.

Two books, one a real cheat, gives the location
of the artifacts in the game and the other a
description of the artifacts (taken from DF)

merlin

Miika Turtiainen <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in news:c9lj98$n9q$1
@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi:

> If you have a favourite please do let me know.

What book could you ever need beyond "ABC's for Barbarians"?

Steve W.

Steve Wadding wrote:

> Miika Turtiainen <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in news:c9lj98$n9q$1
> @phys-news1.kolumbus.fi:
>
> > If you have a favourite please do let me know.
>
> What book could you ever need beyond "ABC's for Barbarians"?

I liked The Horror Of Castle Xyr. :) In Tribunal, you have a chance to
act in the play.

ToolPackinMama wrote:
> Steve Wadding wrote:
>>
>> Miika Turtiainen <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in
>> news:c9lj98$n9q$1 @phys-news1.kolumbus.fi:
>>
>>> If you have a favourite please do let me know.
>>
>> What book could you ever need beyond "ABC's for Barbarians"?
>
> I liked The Horror Of Castle Xyr. :) In Tribunal, you have a chance
> to act in the play.

That was funny :) I did that bit, accepted the part, did everything I
could see to get my character IN the play, and it ended up in an attack
by this dingleberry old wizard! Argh! Spoiled my big opener he did!
Ah, but it was fun. After it, I felt even more like I was playing the
old "Caves" or "Dungeon" text adventure! But in Morrowind! Hah!
McG.

> Dennis Curtis wrote:

> > "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message

> > virtually

> > > Opinion noted.
>
> > Tool packin mama is one of the better informed and helpful players here.
> > Listen to her. All her advice is useful.
>
> Thank you, Dennis. :)
Well--- its true isn't it? Yes it is.........