Cheap t37 fax machine (Fax over IP)

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.fax (More info?)

Hi,
I'm looking for a cheap t.37 fax machine. I don't care if it has a
regular phone port at all. In this case, I want to have a fax that
looks and feels like a regular fax, but uses the internet. So a user
would put in a phone number and click send.

I know there are machines for > $1500 that do this (and they are
mid-high throughput machines which also offer regular faxing, t.38,
etc). We do far less faxing.

While I am happy _personally_ to use more complicated means, I want to
dump the older fax machine in the office entirely and the only way to
do that is to replace it with something that works identically. I know
that in the background the fax machine will scan the fax, convert it to
a TIFF, attach it to an email, and forward it to a fax gateway which
will fax it to the final destination.

Really the only advantage to this is the removal of a phone line. I'm
only considering this as we need to get a new low-end fax machine
anyway and this would seem to be a more elegant solution. I realise
other advantages might be faxing straight to client email addresses,
and storing email-style copies of all faxes sent.

What are the least expensive t.37 fax machines? anyone know?

Thanks,
Greg
ps. I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe i should look at a cheap
t38 machine for FoIP? T.37 seems more elegant but less popular.

Greg Alexander <galexand@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> I'm looking for a cheap t.37 fax machine. I don't care if it has a
> regular phone port at all. In this case, I want to have a fax that
> looks and feels like a regular fax, but uses the internet. So a user
> would put in a phone number and click send.

The cheapest way is probably to throw Hylafax on an old PC on your network
somewhere, and have your phone system send all the calls from the fax
machine to that.

miguel

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,comp.dcom.fax (More info?)

What, actually have my fax machine dial the old PC, transmit the fax,
then have the PC forward it to an email-fax gateway, which converts it
to a regular fax and sends? Well... I guess it probably is inexpensive,
a little cumbersome though!

I really can't understand why no-one has taken a very simple fax (with
a couple of megs memory), removed the phone port, removed the printer,
and added an ethernet port.

I think my only option is to get staff using email-to-fax, and then add
scan-to-email.
Greg
ps. Machines I found include:
Okifax 5680 - A$1600