Why does my PC reboot at Windows load?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2006 12:00:25 AM

I took my previous computer system and put it in another case for my step-son. The system is:

KT333 Dragon Lite motherboard
AMD 2100
1 gig of ram
Sound Blaster card
Firewire card
Network card

CD/DVD burner

I attached the hard disk from his previous computer. The computer turns on, boots up and gives me the "We're sorry but windows didn't shut down correctly.." error message.

Regardless of how I tell it to load, it starts to load Windows and then reboots.

So, I take another hard drive I have with Windows on it, plug it in and after the same dialog the Windows starts to load and then locks up.

Both hard drives should be good. I've tried two different IDE cables. I've tried both IDE 1 and 2 on the mother board. I've switched power connectors and even only had the HD connected.

The only difference is there is no floppy drive attached, but I have it turned off in the bios.

So what would cause this? The power supply is rated at 300 watts and the mother board requires 250.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - he comes home tomorrow. :-)

Thanks,

Jason

More about : reboot windows load

July 7, 2006 1:44:52 AM

What version of Windows? XP or something older?
July 7, 2006 2:13:57 AM

Both are XP Prof.

Both hard drives worked recently, in fact I just took the hard drive out of his other pc the day before.
July 7, 2006 2:46:48 AM

Quote:
I took my previous computer system and put it in another case for my step-son. The system is:

KT333 Dragon Lite motherboard
AMD 2100
1 gig of ram
Sound Blaster card
Firewire card
Network card

CD/DVD burner

Jason,

First try it without the extra PCI cards.

If it works, put one in at a time to see if one may have failed in the move.

Another thing you can try is to do a XP repair through setup.
July 7, 2006 3:10:26 AM

I took out all the cards except the video card.

Now when I turn on the PC, nothing happens. The fans are running but nothing else. The monitor doesn't even kick on.

I have no idea what's going on here... Did I fry the MB?
July 7, 2006 3:32:51 AM

Clear the CMOS, try and reboot again.
If this gets you back to Windows boot and to that wonderful reboot at the end of Windows boot you have 1 of 2 issues going on.

1. Some sort of RAM issue,..try moving to different slots, different modules and fewer modules.

2. A Windows issue,..if you know how to repair your install try that,...if not a reinstall will be needed.
July 7, 2006 4:30:03 PM

Ok, so I unplug the power cable from the power supply and clear out the cmos as per the motherboard instructions. I then plug the power back in, turn the power on the power supply on (the green light on the mother board turns on) and when I hit the power switch on the PC - NOTHING happens. The power connection is still on the motherboard.

Is the power supply just bad or did I kill the motherboard somehow?

J
July 7, 2006 5:31:16 PM

Did you use the same hard drives as before? As in, was Windows installed on those hard drives while connected to the current system you are having problems with? Windows does not like changes in motherboards or processors and usually requires a re-install.

As to your troubles posting. Check it with a different psu if you have one. Use only one stick of ram, cpu and gpu.. NO hard drives. This should still let you get into bios, if you can't one of the 3 is bad. If this works then add other components except the hdd's until you can get into bios each time. IF you get this far then your hdd's are bad.
July 7, 2006 6:01:51 PM

Ok, sorry to sound stupid but the GPU is?

If the light on the motherboard turns on would this not be an indication that it's probably not the power supply? Or is that kind of irrelevant?

I tried just one stick of ram, even moving slots and that had no effect.

Barring it being the power supply, how do I determine which is bad? I mean don't I pretty much have to buy all new equipment at this point?

Thanks,

J
July 7, 2006 6:37:35 PM

This may sound stupid to you, but try taking the motherboard out of the case, and putting it on a static mat. Plug in you memory and video only and see if you can get a start. I have seen where the sodder on the bottom of the motherboard (which worked fine in another case) will be touching the metal of the motherboard tray and shorting out. If this works for you, you can try longer standoffs or just laying the antistatic pad under the board in the case.

Answer: GPU= Graphics Processing Unit
July 7, 2006 6:55:52 PM

Have the same problem with an old PC i got for someone turned out to be a bad IDE controller for my issue. tried evrything still reboots but with mine it would eventually get into windows.
July 7, 2006 7:00:28 PM

I just resently had this happen..to make a long story short the cpu was dieing. I could reload windows fine but when windows tried to start up..xp splash screen with little blue light that moves back and forth...it would freeze and either restart itself or stay frozen..I changed out the cpu with a similar one I had and it ran like a top..I put the "bad" cpu in my computer and it worked fine..put it back in the original computer and freese up again..= bad cpu
July 7, 2006 7:07:27 PM

The GPU stands for graphics processing unit... it's like the cpu for the video card, gpu and video card is usually used interchangably.

No I really don't think it's your psu. Like I said, try with just cpu, video card and one stick of ram... no hard drive.

If you can get into bios then those three are fine... if you can't then it's one of the three. See if you can get some ram from someone else to try, if it still doesn't work then it's either your cpu, motherboard or video card.
July 7, 2006 7:23:04 PM

Since trying to clear the CMOS it doesn't even get that far. I click the power switch and nothing.... I was wondering about the case though, so I think I will get a mat and try running it outside of the case first.
July 7, 2006 7:31:12 PM

Quote:
Since trying to clear the CMOS it doesn't even get that far. I click the power switch and nothing....

You did remember to move the jumper back to the "normal" position after moving it to clear the CMOS, right?
I agree with the others that you need to re-install Windows -- when Windows is originally installed, it chooses to install certain modules depending on the processor, chipset, and other features of the system. The Windows on your stepson's hard drive is set up for his old motherboard, not for yours, and so it's crashing when it gets to the modules specific for the old motherboard.
July 7, 2006 7:33:51 PM

if u placed ur step-son hard disk with ur computer system u need to format the hard disk and reinstall windows. coz the drivers installed on the hardisk are of yur step-son setup

ur amd 2100 setup needs at least 400w of jiuce
July 7, 2006 7:47:59 PM

If you take a HD from other computer , with a diferent CPU , everytime you boot your windows, you will see windows logo then the PC will reboot.
To solve this you have 3 options , all demands one cd for installing windows XP pro. 1- repair the install in your HD (sometimes it can be done if CPU is at least from same manufacturer ) . 2 -Format your HD and reinstall windows. 3- install a new HD and use old one as 2nd HD.
Windows use some information of cpu to proceed install, so changing it will make it unstable... good luck
July 7, 2006 7:57:24 PM

Ok, I didn't realize Windows was that anal. I have no issues with re-installing the OS, but I need to be able to power the PC up first.

I did replace the CMOS switch. I'm just wondering why doing that would suddenly kill the PC completely.

I also didn't realize I would need a 400w power supply.

I think I'll hit Fry's today and buy a new power supply and matt. Actually, the case is a piece of crap so I'll just bloody buy him a new one that has at least a 400w supply.

I guess until I test out the the new power supply there isn't any real way of knowing if I killed the CPU or MOB. I'll also look for blown capacitors.

Thanks,

J
July 7, 2006 8:22:32 PM

I'm pretty sure Juvealert is right on this one. If I'm reading you right than you are swapping hard drives between comps with already installed OS's. Your going to have driver conflicts. Pretty much Windows is booting and trying to find its hardware and everything is different. A buddy was trying to do the same thing with the same reboot at start up. I think your wasting your time with a new psu. If you need to get data off the hard drive you can plug it into a current computer and set it to slave with the jumper. You can then pull data off it before you reformat for the son's rig.
July 7, 2006 8:47:10 PM

I get the feeling some people are missing what changed here - I understand about the OS needing to be reinstalled, but since I cleared the CMOS, the PC does NOT boot up. It does not POST. Nothing happens.

At this point the OS problem is irrelevant because something else I've done has stopped the machine from even getting that far. When I hit the power switch, nothing happens. I get a green light on the mother board and that's it. No fans, no noise, nothing.

Because I was told this new setup needs a 400w psu and I only have a 350, I figured maybe I was running into some issues there. I dunno, it may just be that I need to try clearing the CMOS again and it'll run. I'll try that first.

But I also have issue with case - it was a tight fit (this is a really old case) and I was missing some of the plastic supports. I'm just not sure if maybe I'm not shorting something out there... so I'll try that as well.

If I can get the computer back to restarting on me at windows load, I'll be a happy camper. :-)

J
July 7, 2006 8:54:34 PM

Quote:
Because I was told this new setup needs a 400w psu and I only have a 350, I figured maybe I was running into some issues there.
No, a 50w rating difference won't cause that.
Quote:

But I also have issue with case - it was a tight fit (this is a really old case) and I was missing some of the plastic supports. I'm just not sure if maybe I'm not shorting something out there... so I'll try that as well.
Yep, I bet that's your problem. You mentioned visiting Fry's -- On Tuesday they had the Lantec Super Lanboy aluminum case for $15 (after rebate, no PS). A little bling can go a long way with the younger generation. Good luck!
July 7, 2006 9:16:02 PM

If the board is being grounded to the case, you can sometimes hear a slight buzzing sound coming from your power supply. Also, the CPU fan will make 1/4 rotation when you turn on the power, and then stop. If either of these is the case, it is almost certainly a grounding issue.

Like someone suggested earlier, try taking your board out of the case and setting it on an anti-static mat. Hook in the video card, RAM, and PSU and see if it boots. If it does, then it was being grounded and you should go ahead and buy the new case.
July 8, 2006 3:28:17 AM

Well I went out and bought a new case w/ a 450 watt power supply.

It was a cheap case, which apparently means that they do not know how to create a speaker connection. Instead, they have spkr out R, spkr out L, spkr return R, spkr R L - and of course the case came with no documentation so I have NO idea how to hook up the internal speaker.

Why does this matter? So I can actually hear if there are any tell beeps to indicate there is something wrong when starting the PC.

With this case, I can actually turn the computer on - the fans turn on, but nothing else happens. The monitor never clicks on (I'm running with just the video card, no hard drives, to see if it starts). So of course, without the tell beeping, I have no idea if the video card is now bad. Sigh. I'm so miffed right now I'm thinking of just hitting craigs list and finding a cheap replacement PC.

Anyone here know of an online doc to translate the various wires this POS case comes with into a speaker wire? There are a bunch of ground and +VCC and -D connections that I have no clue what to do with.

So assuming the video card is still good, and I'm not shorting out with the case, this means either the memory, the CPU or motherboard are blown?

How does one narrow this down to the exact cause? If I can just buy a new CPU, fine. Or a new mother board, fine. But I don't want to buy things I don't need to be buying.

Thanks.

J
July 8, 2006 5:00:56 AM

Your wires sound familiar, but they are not speaker wires. My guess is that your new case has front microphone and speaker jacks, and USB ports, but no actual speaker. The spkr out R and spkr return R plug into matching pins on an audio header on newer motherboards, connecting the right channel of the speaker output jack. The spkr out L and spkr return L plug into similar matching header pins. There will also be wires for mic, mic bias and ground for the mic jack. Newer motherboards often have a small piezo "speaker" built in for the POST beeping.
I think at least some of the Vcc+ and other wires are for your front USB connectors. They should plug into a USB header on your motherboard. The classic USB order is Vcc+, signal-,signal+, ground (a 4-wire grouping, although some USB headers seem to have a fifth unused pin). Here's a link with some diagrams:
http://www.directron.com/installusb.html

As for your main problem, my guess would be something with the motherboard rather than with the CPU. Problem is, with such an old system, it's probably not worth replacing either one, but needs a new motherboard/CPU combo.
One option is something like this TigerDirect.com combo for $70 (after rebate, expires 7/9) right now, which I picked up to set up a Linux system:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
It's nice for updating an older system because it still has 2 IDE headers (so you can put IDE optical and legacy hard drives on separate cables) and an AGP slot (4x/8x) instead of a PCIx slot for video. It takes DDR (not DDR2) memory, but does have Serial ATA headers, and built in networking and lots of USB 2.0 ports, and built-in shared-memory video if you're not a gamer. If you don't have an Intel socket 775 heatsink/fan, you'll have to get one. (I think I have one left over from my 805D install that I can send you for cheap; PM me if interested).

Good luck with your system -- I've run into these situations many times myself, where you start out wanting to upgrade just one thing and pretty soon end up with half a dozen open boxes in the living room!
July 8, 2006 1:01:37 PM

This is funny, as I was looking through the bag of screws etc that came with the case I found a wire that said speaker, attached to a tiny round looking speaker. :-) So much for my fit. I haven't tried it out yet but it's nice that it's there. I think you're right about the microphone and USB wires.

Thanks for that link. I guess I'll just bite the bulllet and order it. It's just frustrating because this WAS a really good system - especially compared to the old P3 he was running on.

Did you get the MB yet? Is the CPU fan connection 3 or 4 pin? I was looking at the cheap $8 fan advertised as an accessory with the combo and some comment said it was only 3 pin and not 4.

I'll PM you if I want to buy the fan.

Thanks.

J
July 8, 2006 5:05:27 PM

Quote:
Well I went out and bought a new case w/ a 450 watt power supply.

It was a cheap case, which apparently means that they do not know how to create a speaker connection. Instead, they have spkr out R, spkr out L, spkr return R, spkr R L - and of course the case came with no documentation so I have NO idea how to hook up the internal speaker.

Why does this matter? So I can actually hear if there are any tell beeps to indicate there is something wrong when starting the PC.

With this case, I can actually turn the computer on - the fans turn on, but nothing else happens. The monitor never clicks on (I'm running with just the video card, no hard drives, to see if it starts). So of course, without the tell beeping, I have no idea if the video card is now bad. Sigh. I'm so miffed right now I'm thinking of just hitting craigs list and finding a cheap replacement PC.

Anyone here know of an online doc to translate the various wires this POS case comes with into a speaker wire? There are a bunch of ground and +VCC and -D connections that I have no clue what to do with.

So assuming the video card is still good, and I'm not shorting out with the case, this means either the memory, the CPU or motherboard are blown?

How does one narrow this down to the exact cause? If I can just buy a new CPU, fine. Or a new mother board, fine. But I don't want to buy things I don't need to be buying.

Thanks.

J

Go to www.badcaps.net and check if the capacitors on your board looks like those on the picture the web site has....
July 8, 2006 5:52:21 PM

Quote:
Did you get the MB yet? Is the CPU fan connection 3 or 4 pin? ...

The motherboard CPU fan connection is 4 pin. There are also 2 additional 3-pin fan connections elsewhere on the board (it also has that built-in tiny round piezo "speaker" over near the corner).
Here's the Abit web page for the board. When I was looking into it, I just downloaded the manual and looked through that for info on connectors, ports, etc.:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?catego...
!