"Backup" Domain Controller or balancing work between servers

Hello,

I know that with W2K/W3K there aren't Backup domains, all the DCs
servers are equal. Also I know that with sites you can configure the
replication process between DCs.

But I haven't found info about how to balance the work among servers.
And if we have two DCs I don't know what will do the work or how the
work will be will be distributed.

What we want to do is configure two DC servers. But we want that one do
all the work, and the other works only if the first is down (The other
will work mainly as a terminal services server).
There is some way to configure where the work is assigned when there are
multiple DCs?

ExtraInfo:
All the DCs are in the same subnet.
We have the data (profiles, home of users,...) in a NAS.
2 answers Last reply
More about backup domain controller balancing work servers

    Joan,

    Look at the SRV records. There are two key parts: weight and priority.
    Modifying either or both of these ought to give you what you want. You
    might want to look for how pcs find 'resources'. There are two MSKB
    Articles that will help you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=247811
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314861

    But, I am not sure why you would want to do this. There are reasons for
    doing this - you just have not stated why other than you want the second DC
    to be used mostly for Terminal Services ( er, really a horrible idea to be
    running TS on a Domain Controller....if you had a Member Server that would
    have been a much better choice...but you can not always spring for a third
    server.... ).

    If you were able to give us some more details ( number of computer account
    objects, number of users.... ) we might be able to better guide you.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Joan Jesús Pujol Espinar" <joanpujol@nospamihaveagmailadress.com> wrote in
    message news:cua018$ork$1@montagut.cesca.es...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I know that with W2K/W3K there aren't Backup domains, all the DCs servers
    > are equal. Also I know that with sites you can configure the replication
    > process between DCs.
    >
    > But I haven't found info about how to balance the work among servers. And
    > if we have two DCs I don't know what will do the work or how the work will
    > be will be distributed.
    >
    > What we want to do is configure two DC servers. But we want that one do
    > all the work, and the other works only if the first is down (The other
    > will work mainly as a terminal services server).
    > There is some way to configure where the work is assigned when there are
    > multiple DCs?
    >
    > ExtraInfo:
    > All the DCs are in the same subnet.
    > We have the data (profiles, home of users,...) in a NAS.

    Thanks, Cary. I was about to go into a diatribe about not running TS in
    application mode on a DC.

    Think of it this way, Joan: The money you save by not getting another box as
    a DC will be completely lost when your domain is hosed by a TS user. You
    want to implement TS to drop your TCO through both maintenance reduction and
    a drop in the hardware needed on the client end. This is not the case when
    you put TS on a DC because of the risk involved and the high level of
    administration that will go into securing the AD from your TS users.

    The cost of downtime and troubleshooting time on the end of your technicians
    will outstrip the cost of a new server. A low-end 1U dell server WITH the
    server 2003 license is under $2000. Think about how much downtime that is
    for your organization... including the real cost of a technician to repair
    the problem.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Joan,
    >
    > Look at the SRV records. There are two key parts: weight and priority.
    > Modifying either or both of these ought to give you what you want. You
    > might want to look for how pcs find 'resources'. There are two MSKB
    > Articles that will help you:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=247811
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314861
    >
    > But, I am not sure why you would want to do this. There are reasons for
    > doing this - you just have not stated why other than you want the second
    DC
    > to be used mostly for Terminal Services ( er, really a horrible idea to be
    > running TS on a Domain Controller....if you had a Member Server that would
    > have been a much better choice...but you can not always spring for a third
    > server.... ).
    >
    > If you were able to give us some more details ( number of computer account
    > objects, number of users.... ) we might be able to better guide you.
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Joan Jesús Pujol Espinar" <joanpujol@nospamihaveagmailadress.com> wrote
    in
    > message news:cua018$ork$1@montagut.cesca.es...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I know that with W2K/W3K there aren't Backup domains, all the DCs
    servers
    > > are equal. Also I know that with sites you can configure the replication
    > > process between DCs.
    > >
    > > But I haven't found info about how to balance the work among servers.
    And
    > > if we have two DCs I don't know what will do the work or how the work
    will
    > > be will be distributed.
    > >
    > > What we want to do is configure two DC servers. But we want that one do
    > > all the work, and the other works only if the first is down (The other
    > > will work mainly as a terminal services server).
    > > There is some way to configure where the work is assigned when there are
    > > multiple DCs?
    > >
    > > ExtraInfo:
    > > All the DCs are in the same subnet.
    > > We have the data (profiles, home of users,...) in a NAS.

Configuration Backup Domain Controller Servers Windows