A.D. Database recovery.

The file \winnt\system32\config\system file was corrupt. I restored the file
with a default system file. (Previous admin didn't have a ERD disk.) Now the
active directory objects are all missing. Is there anyway to restore the A.D.
database?

Yes. With a System State restore.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsbj_brr_AXAL.asp

-ds

"Hawkize69" <Hawkize69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The file \winnt\system32\config\system file was corrupt. I restored the
file
> with a default system file. (Previous admin didn't have a ERD disk.) Now
the
> active directory objects are all missing. Is there anyway to restore the
A.D.
> database?

"Hawkize69" <Hawkize69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The file \winnt\system32\config\system file was corrupt. I restored the
file
> with a default system file. (Previous admin didn't have a ERD disk.)

There is no ERD with Win2000+ (left in NT4).

You use the (much larger than a floppy) System
State Backup in it's place.

Or even ASR on WinXP+.

> Now the
> active directory objects are all missing. Is there anyway to restore the
A.D.
> database?

System State restore.

MAYBE a repair install -- from the CDROM but you
will lose the contents of AD at best if you don't have
the System State.

Is this your only DC? If not, you DCPromo (non-DC)
and DCPromo (back to a DC).

--
Herb Martin