Closed

Is there a subfolder amount limit?

Is there a limit to how many subfolders a given folder may have?
Couldn't find it on Google. Thank you.
9 answers Last reply
More about subfolder amount limit

    <john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a limit to how many subfolders a given folder may have?
    > Couldn't find it on Google. Thank you.

    In Active Directory?

    Are you talking about OUs when write "subfolder"?

    There is likely no practical limit (thousands to millions.)

    I just mean a folder and then subfolders, not nested, just like a
    folder "mystuff." and how many subfolders can it have under it.

    Again, not like mystuff -> next folder -> folder under that one-> etc.

    Rather, mystuff->folder1, folder2, etc.; like C:/ and then a bunch of
    subfolders.

    Thanks.

    John,

    The limit here is dependent on the version of the file system you are
    using. With the current version of NTFS, I don't remember there being a
    limit. You'll want to Google the NTFS spec (or fat32 if you're still
    there... ) for a confirmation of that.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
    > John,
    >
    > The limit here is dependent on the version of the file system you are
    > using. With the current version of NTFS, I don't remember there being a
    > limit. You'll want to Google the NTFS spec (or fat32 if you're still
    > there... ) for a confirmation of that.

    I have had upwards of 200,000 files in an NTFS
    directory on Win2000.

    I was abysmal to access but it functioned.

    (A software program went nuts and did that -- just the
    delete *.* >nul took something like hours.)

    BTW, I have no real problem with people posting to the
    wrong newsgroup but it is irritating and less help to those
    who do so and then don't explain this was a FILE SYSTEM
    question, not AD as the group suggests.

    And also points up that the word "folder" is sometimes worse
    than useless:

    Admins should say "directory" when they mean directory;
    share when that is the object, or OU etc.....

    --
    Herb Martin

    > --
    > Ryan Hanisco
    > MCSE, MCDBA
    > Flagship Integration Services
    >
    > <john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I just mean a folder and then subfolders, not nested, just like a
    > > folder "mystuff." and how many subfolders can it have under it.
    > >
    > > Again, not like mystuff -> next folder -> folder under that one-> etc.
    > >

    > > Rather, mystuff->folder1, folder2, etc.; like C:/ and then a bunch of
    > > subfolders.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Thanks. I just have a database that creates a folder for it usage,
    tied to a given record, and want to be sure the folder structure can
    handle thousands of folders.

    Thank you again.

    That's funny, microsoft documentation calls them folders. who is to say you
    are right?

    Folder structure
    NTFS supports volumes with large numbers of files and folders, so create a
    folder structure that works best for your organization. Some guidelines to
    consider when designing a folder structure include:

    a.. Avoid putting a large number of files into a folder if you use
    programs that create, delete, open, or close files quickly or frequently.
    The better solution is to logically separate the files into folders so that
    you can distribute the workload on multiple folders at a time.
    b.. If there is no way to logically separate the files into folders, put
    all the files into one folder, and then disable 8.3 file name generation. If
    you must

    > "Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
    >> John,
    >>
    >> The limit here is dependent on the version of the file system you are
    >> using. With the current version of NTFS, I don't remember there being a
    >> limit. You'll want to Google the NTFS spec (or fat32 if you're still
    >> there... ) for a confirmation of that.
    >>

    > I have had upwards of 200,000 files in an NTFS
    > directory on Win2000.
    >
    > I was abysmal to access but it functioned.
    >
    > (A software program went nuts and did that -- just the
    > delete *.* >nul took something like hours.)
    >
    > BTW, I have no real problem with people posting to the
    > wrong newsgroup but it is irritating and less help to those
    > who do so and then don't explain this was a FILE SYSTEM
    > question, not AD as the group suggests.
    >
    > And also points up that the word "folder" is sometimes worse
    > than useless:
    >
    > Admins should say "directory" when they mean directory;
    > share when that is the object, or OU etc.....
    >

    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    >> --
    >> Ryan Hanisco
    >> MCSE, MCDBA
    >> Flagship Integration Services
    >>
    >> <john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > I just mean a folder and then subfolders, not nested, just like a
    >> > folder "mystuff." and how many subfolders can it have under it.
    >> >
    >> > Again, not like mystuff -> next folder -> folder under that one-> etc.
    >> >

    >> > Rather, mystuff->folder1, folder2, etc.; like C:/ and then a bunch of
    >> > subfolders.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    "Joe" <junk@junk.com> wrote in message

    > That's funny, microsoft documentation calls them folders. who is to say
    you
    > are right?

    Sure it does. But that doesn't make it a good or
    extremely useful term to replace what Microsoft
    said for years was a Directory.

    Even the Macitosh DEVELOLERS call them directories
    when programming or otherwise looking under the hood.

    It is a term chosen to please the Mac users (in Win95)
    back in the day where Microsoft was fighting Apple
    seriously for market share.

    --
    Herb Martin

    "Joe" <junk@junk.com> wrote in message

    > That's funny, microsoft documentation calls them folders. who is to say
    you
    > are right?
    >
    > Folder structure
    > NTFS supports volumes with large numbers of files and folders, so create a
    > folder structure that works best for your organization. Some guidelines to
    > consider when designing a folder structure include:
    >
    > a.. Avoid putting a large number of files into a folder if you use
    > programs that create, delete, open, or close files quickly or frequently.
    > The better solution is to logically separate the files into folders so
    that
    > you can distribute the workload on multiple folders at a time.
    > b.. If there is no way to logically separate the files into folders, put
    > all the files into one folder, and then disable 8.3 file name generation.
    If
    > you must

    > > "Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
    > >> John,
    > >>
    > >> The limit here is dependent on the version of the file system you are
    > >> using. With the current version of NTFS, I don't remember there being
    > >> limit. You'll want to Google the NTFS spec (or fat32 if you're still
    > >> there... ) for a confirmation of that.
    > >>

    > > I have had upwards of 200,000 files in an NTFS
    > > directory on Win2000.
    > >
    > > I was abysmal to access but it functioned.
    > >
    > > (A software program went nuts and did that -- just the
    > > delete *.* >nul took something like hours.)
    > >
    > > BTW, I have no real problem with people posting to the
    > > wrong newsgroup but it is irritating and less help to those
    > > who do so and then don't explain this was a FILE SYSTEM
    > > question, not AD as the group suggests.
    > >
    > > And also points up that the word "folder" is sometimes worse
    > > than useless:
    > >
    > > Admins should say "directory" when they mean directory;
    > > share when that is the object, or OU etc.....
    > >

    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > >> --
    > >> Ryan Hanisco
    > >> MCSE, MCDBA
    > >> Flagship Integration Services
    > >>
    > >> <john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  8. warning: Not for the faint-hearted. I don't recommend this. Don't blame me later.

    Best way to find out
    -
    write code for recursive mkdir (creating a new folder recursively)

    compile & run it from within an empty folder & wait till you get some kind of error/crash

    right click on that folder -> Properties

    Voila! there it is

    :D

    (hint: if it runs for more than a few days, it would be wise to kill the process.)

Google Microsoft Active Directory Windows