Active Directory Corruption

We had two NT4 Domain Controllers, and recently upgraded one to Windows 2000
and installed Active Directory.

Today, when we try to delete a user account from Active Directory we get the
following message:

Windows cannot delete object USERNAME because:

An internal error occurred.

We tried to delete the user account on the NT4 BDC using User Manager for
Domains but it fails with the following error:

Security account database contains an internal inconsistency.

Having done some checking on the AD controller, the following message is in
the Directory Services Event Log:

NTDS (264) Synchronous read page checksum error -1018
((1:36371:4283593030) (923820504-2929194565) (0-1350705)) occured. Please
restore the databases from a previous backup.

As we only moved recently, we haven't started backing up the Active Directoy
Controller, only the BDC.

Can this problem be overcome easily or will it require more drastic actions?

Any help will be much appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about active directory corruption

    "I Doyle" <I Doyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We had two NT4 Domain Controllers, and recently upgraded one to Windows
    2000
    > and installed Active Directory.
    >
    > Today, when we try to delete a user account from Active Directory we get
    the
    > following message:
    >
    > Windows cannot delete object USERNAME because:
    > An internal error occurred.

    Just on the one object or on others? (Create something
    for the purpose of deleting it.)

    > We tried to delete the user account on the NT4 BDC using User Manager for
    > Domains but it fails with the following error:

    BDCs have never been able to delete objects;
    BDCs are READ-ONLY.

    > Security account database contains an internal inconsistency.
    >
    > Having done some checking on the AD controller, the following message is
    in
    > the Directory Services Event Log:
    >
    > NTDS (264) Synchronous read page checksum error -1018
    > ((1:36371:4283593030) (923820504-2929194565) (0-1350705)) occured. Please
    > restore the databases from a previous backup.

    Well, it certainly seems to be saying it is really corrupt,
    which is very unusual unless your hard drive itself was
    first corrupt.

    > As we only moved recently, we haven't started backing up the Active
    Directoy
    > Controller, only the BDC.

    Then you can remove the AD, promote the BDC to Primary,
    and once again upgrade.

    > Can this problem be overcome easily or will it require more drastic
    actions?

    There are (sometimes) other actions you can take but you
    need to explicitly follow the KB articles about such things
    as "semantic database analysis".

    Do NOT use the above until you have read through the entire
    article and any referenced articles -- or unless you have full
    backups for trying multiple times.

    You can find the relevant article(s) by searching Microsoft
    using some such Google search:

    [ site:microsoft.com "semantic database analysis" ]

    --
    Herb Martin

    Hello I Doyle,

    Can you give us a bit more information.... See if there is anything in the
    event log that can help us. Also DCDiag will help too. These are part of
    the support tools on the 2k/2k3 CD

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "I Doyle" <I Doyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We had two NT4 Domain Controllers, and recently upgraded one to Windows
    > 2000
    > and installed Active Directory.
    >
    > Today, when we try to delete a user account from Active Directory we get
    > the
    > following message:
    >
    > Windows cannot delete object USERNAME because:
    >
    > An internal error occurred.
    >
    > We tried to delete the user account on the NT4 BDC using User Manager for
    > Domains but it fails with the following error:
    >
    > Security account database contains an internal inconsistency.
    >
    > Having done some checking on the AD controller, the following message is
    > in
    > the Directory Services Event Log:
    >
    > NTDS (264) Synchronous read page checksum error -1018
    > ((1:36371:4283593030) (923820504-2929194565) (0-1350705)) occured. Please
    > restore the databases from a previous backup.
    >
    > As we only moved recently, we haven't started backing up the Active
    > Directoy
    > Controller, only the BDC.
    >
    > Can this problem be overcome easily or will it require more drastic
    > actions?
    >
    > Any help will be much appreciated.

Active Directory Windows