problem with moving objects between trusted domains

I plan to move users from one AD domain to the other (trust between theese
two domains exist, shortcut trust). I will also disjoin all computers from
one domain and join it to the other. Shortly, I will move users and computers
to the other domain. All users should continue to use their old profiles
which they have on old domain. How can I ensure that users log on the new
domain and their profiles stays the same?

You will want to take a look at the Active Directory Migration Tool
(ADMTv2). This is the tool made explicitly for doing just this. You will
want to pay special attention to SIDHistory and the Workstation/Security
translation for what you are planning to do.

The tool is free and on the MS website or 2003 CD (though it works with both
2000 and 2003). Read the docs over and over and do this slowly and
carefully. A botched migration takes 10 times as long as a cautious
implementation.

Test this thoroughly in test mode and lab a migration if at all possible.
Heck, even use two low powered workstations with the server os on them just
to test the process so that you are familiar with it. If you have any
doubts, post here or hire an integration company with experience in this
rather than break your environment.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Marko Kralj" <MarkoKralj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I plan to move users from one AD domain to the other (trust between theese
> two domains exist, shortcut trust). I will also disjoin all computers from
> one domain and join it to the other. Shortly, I will move users and
computers
> to the other domain. All users should continue to use their old profiles
> which they have on old domain. How can I ensure that users log on the new
> domain and their profiles stays the same?

Thank you very much, I thought so in first place.

I writted wrong: migration should go from NT4.0, domain vhich is not part of
AD, to AD domain. External trust exist and domain administrator from AD
domain is domain admin in NT4.0 domain. Any points expecially take care to?

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> You will want to take a look at the Active Directory Migration Tool
> (ADMTv2). This is the tool made explicitly for doing just this. You will
> want to pay special attention to SIDHistory and the Workstation/Security
> translation for what you are planning to do.
>
> The tool is free and on the MS website or 2003 CD (though it works with both
> 2000 and 2003). Read the docs over and over and do this slowly and
> carefully. A botched migration takes 10 times as long as a cautious
> implementation.
>
> Test this thoroughly in test mode and lab a migration if at all possible.
> Heck, even use two low powered workstations with the server os on them just
> to test the process so that you are familiar with it. If you have any
> doubts, post here or hire an integration company with experience in this
> rather than break your environment.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> Flagship Integration Services
>
> "Marko Kralj" <MarkoKralj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I plan to move users from one AD domain to the other (trust between theese
> > two domains exist, shortcut trust). I will also disjoin all computers from
> > one domain and join it to the other. Shortly, I will move users and
> computers
> > to the other domain. All users should continue to use their old profiles
> > which they have on old domain. How can I ensure that users log on the new
> > domain and their profiles stays the same?

TRENDING THREADS