plain time instructions

Joe

are there any current papers spelling out the "best" way to set up time sync
an a standard 2000 AD domain with XP clients? It seems whenever I look into
this I end up with a bunch of papers describing everything but what I want
to know and half of them are older than the operating system itself.
All I want to know is, in a basic setup, what are the steps to follow. I
have the net time command in a startup script but still occasionally see
client pc's connecting to odd time sources.

Hello.
You didn't need net time command in logon script for your domain.
In Active Directory clients computers (Windows 2000/XP/2003) automatically
sync time with domain controllers.
Domain controllers in domain synchronize its time with domain PDC. In forest
PDCs synchronize its time with forest root PDC.
Just synch forest root PDC with external time source or hardware clock.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307897

--
Dmitry Burtsev [burtsev@removethis.km.ru]

"Joe" <junk@junk.com> wrote in message

> are there any current papers spelling out the "best" way to set up time
sync
> an a standard 2000 AD domain with XP clients? It seems whenever I look
into
> this I end up with a bunch of papers describing everything but what I want
> to know and half of them are older than the operating system itself.
> All I want to know is, in a basic setup, what are the steps to follow. I
> have the net time command in a startup script but still occasionally see
> client pc's connecting to odd time sources.

Joe

yea i've heard that said that it's automatic before. Of course that doesn't
explain why i would see errors or event logs showing sync to outside time
servers. I wonder if the reason some people say it's automatic is because
there was a group policy setting forcing them to sync with the domain. I
may be mistaken but I seem to remember seeing a setting for that.

"Burtsev Dmitry" <burtsev@removethispart.km.ru> wrote in message
> Hello.
> You didn't need net time command in logon script for your domain.
> In Active Directory clients computers (Windows 2000/XP/2003) automatically
> sync time with domain controllers.
> Domain controllers in domain synchronize its time with domain PDC. In
> forest
> PDCs synchronize its time with forest root PDC.
> Just synch forest root PDC with external time source or hardware clock.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307897
>
> --
> Dmitry Burtsev [burtsev@removethis.km.ru]
>

> "Joe" <junk@junk.com> wrote in message
>>
>> are there any current papers spelling out the "best" way to set up time
> sync
>> an a standard 2000 AD domain with XP clients? It seems whenever I look
> into
>> this I end up with a bunch of papers describing everything but what I
>> want
>> to know and half of them are older than the operating system itself.
>> All I want to know is, in a basic setup, what are the steps to follow. I
>> have the net time command in a startup script but still occasionally see
>> client pc's connecting to odd time sources.

Out of the box it is automatic -there's no GPO configurations in place or
necessary. However, in order to have *accurate* time you should sync the
PDCe with an external time source. As mentioned by Burtsev, you do this by
typing net time /setsntp:<sntpServer> on the PDCe. On the other machines
you do *nothing*

There is no reason to run net time via logon script. Nor does manually
running this give a good idea of which server you are synchronising with.

What errors are you getting? You'll get the odd error stating that it
didn't sync if you are using a heavily used time server, or you have a slow
Internet connection. You'll also get warnings stating that a time server
couldn't be found from time to time - this is usually a network glitch, or
at boot before everything has initialised, etc.

By default the time service (w32time) doesn't log success events.

You should only use the /setsntp switch on the PDCe. Don't do this on the
other DCs, servers, etc.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

yea i've heard that said that it's automatic before. Of course that doesn't
explain why i would see errors or event logs showing sync to outside time
servers. I wonder if the reason some people say it's automatic is because
there was a group policy setting forcing them to sync with the domain. I
may be mistaken but I seem to remember seeing a setting for that.

"Burtsev Dmitry" <burtsev@removethispart.km.ru> wrote in message
> Hello.
> You didn't need net time command in logon script for your domain.
> In Active Directory clients computers (Windows 2000/XP/2003) automatically
> sync time with domain controllers.
> Domain controllers in domain synchronize its time with domain PDC. In
> forest
> PDCs synchronize its time with forest root PDC.
> Just synch forest root PDC with external time source or hardware clock.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307897
>
> --
> Dmitry Burtsev [burtsev@removethis.km.ru]
>

> "Joe" <junk@junk.com> wrote in message
>>
>> are there any current papers spelling out the "best" way to set up time
> sync
>> an a standard 2000 AD domain with XP clients? It seems whenever I look
> into
>> this I end up with a bunch of papers describing everything but what I
>> want
>> to know and half of them are older than the operating system itself.
>> All I want to know is, in a basic setup, what are the steps to follow. I
>> have the net time command in a startup script but still occasionally see
>> client pc's connecting to odd time sources.

Wich information you get on WinXP when type in command prompt NET TIME?
This is a domain controller or not?