Install Win2K Adminpak.msi on WinXP workstation?

Our DCs are currently running Win2K server, with the workstations
running Win2K. We install Adminpak.msi onto the workstations.

I'd like to upgrade our workstations to WinXP (DCs must remain at
Win2K), but have had problems trying to install and run the Win2K admin
tools. First, I get a message saying that the current OS is not
compatible (although it allows the installation to proceed). When I try
to run "Users and Groups", I get a message saying that the snap-in
failed to initialize.

I got the Adminpak.msi from the Win2K SP4 CD.

What else can I try?

-Pat
2 answers Last reply
More about install win2k adminpak winxp workstation

    You need to uninstall Win 2000 Server Admin Pak and install Win Server 2003
    Admin Tools Pak on Win XP SP1 and later clients. This allows management of
    both Win 2000 and 2003 Servers.

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c16ae515-c8f4-47ef-a1e4-a8dcbacff8e3&DisplayLang=en

    Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

    "Pat Coghlan" wrote:

    > Our DCs are currently running Win2K server, with the workstations
    > running Win2K. We install Adminpak.msi onto the workstations.
    >
    > I'd like to upgrade our workstations to WinXP (DCs must remain at
    > Win2K), but have had problems trying to install and run the Win2K admin
    > tools. First, I get a message saying that the current OS is not
    > compatible (although it allows the installation to proceed). When I try
    > to run "Users and Groups", I get a message saying that the snap-in
    > failed to initialize.
    >
    > I got the Adminpak.msi from the Win2K SP4 CD.
    >
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > -Pat

    Worked perfectly!

    Thanks.

    Desmond Lee wrote:

    > You need to uninstall Win 2000 Server Admin Pak and install Win Server 2003
    > Admin Tools Pak on Win XP SP1 and later clients. This allows management of
    > both Win 2000 and 2003 Servers.
    >
    > See
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c16ae515-c8f4-47ef-a1e4-a8dcbacff8e3&DisplayLang=en
    >

    > Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!
    >

    > "Pat Coghlan" wrote:
    >

    >>Our DCs are currently running Win2K server, with the workstations
    >>running Win2K. We install Adminpak.msi onto the workstations.
    >>
    >>I'd like to upgrade our workstations to WinXP (DCs must remain at
    >>Win2K), but have had problems trying to install and run the Win2K admin
    >>tools. First, I get a message saying that the current OS is not
    >>compatible (although it allows the installation to proceed). When I try
    >>to run "Users and Groups", I get a message saying that the snap-in
    >>failed to initialize.
    >>
    >>I got the Adminpak.msi from the Win2K SP4 CD.
    >>
    >>What else can I try?
    >>
    >>-Pat

Workstations Active Directory Windows MSI-Microstar