a quick question

Nitrous

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
hello all
my question is basically whats a really good CPU cooler?
I was leaning towards this one what do you think?
I dont have a ton of money and I wanted something to tide me over until I get liquid cooling which I wont be getting for awhile
also another question i might as well ask now is what is the best GPU cooler?
sry if this is all in the wrong section

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
there are many good options for cpu coolers

for a tight budget, go with the article freezer pro

for a bit more money (10-20 dollars) you can get something better performing like the si-120 or the big typhoon

and as for the gpu coolers, there are also good options such as the zalman vf700, 900 and the nvidia silencers

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Zalman 9500s are easy to install and quite cool.....

They usually come with millions of brackets so you can use it on a (older) differnt MBs when you do finally get wc going.

Nitrous

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I checked those out and Im liking the VF900 without LEDs but I dont like the idea of it not ejecting the heat out the back of the case so Im thinking about going with the ATi silencer

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
my philosophy of HSF is that it does what its suppose to do - remove heat from the core to the case, and the vf900 does exactly that.

what are case fans for anyways? even if vf900 doesn't have the fan blowing out of the case, it is still one of the best HSFs for the graphics card

the big typhoon is definitly worth the money because of its performance. a thing i would look out for though is the installation. thermalright got lazy and the installation is really a pain in the butt(have one myself).

if you want to have the best of both worlds, go with the si-120, tuniq tower or scythe ninja

Nitrous

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I may just save up and get the Tt 745 LCing kit cause if I got the SI-120 or the big typhoon along with the VF900 thats gonna be about $100 when the 745 kit is only $150 and then add an extra GPU block onto that later on

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
is the big typhoon enough better than the arctic freezer to be worth it?

One down side to the Big Typhoon is weight and therefore stress on the mobo. And it's height means that it has big leverage too. The Arctic is much lighter and shorter.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
weight has nothing to do with which heasink you buy, all of the heasinks don't apply enough force to bend or damange your mobo.

again, DON'T get the big water, its a waste of money, either get high end aircooling, or REAL watercooling

Nitrous

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
well I was thinking of getting the big water and then eventually shifting the parts and replacing them with DD parts unless for about $150-$200 I can get a better setup

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
its impossible to upgrade the big water without buying an entirely new loop. if you are looking to do watercooling, save up somewhere between 200 and 300 dollars.

Nitrous

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
ok
I was looking on the DD site and a medium range one configured the way I want would be about $250 of course Ill prolly want help with what items I would want to get with it

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
hello all
my question is basically whats a really good CPU cooler?
I was leaning towards this one what do you think?
I dont have a ton of money and I wanted something to tide me over until I get liquid cooling which I wont be getting for awhile
also another question i might as well ask now is what is the best GPU cooler?
sry if this is all in the wrong section

Thermalright SI-120.
The way it is built it also helps cool your ram,voltage regulators ect,ect.

For a fan I like the Silverstone FM-121.
It comes with a free speed controler and @ full speed moves up to 110CFPM and also makes a nice case fan.

I find this combo used in a well vented cases like the Coolermasters that the cpu runs about 2C over room air. I always remove the fan guard on the cases for full air flow.

Watercooling is a thing of the past and can cost up to 6 times the price of the above system with no real gain in cooling.

Here you can find a pic of the cooler:
http://www.svc.com/si-120.html

Z

Nitrous

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
1 reason I want to get a LCing system is cause of the shock value and Iv always wanted a WCed system and a case with a window cause my dad would always buy Dells and they dont put windows in them and i always thought it would be cool to have both of those

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I gave this some thought. Over time it seems to me that the better HSF's have had two things in common. A large, slow,(quite), fan, and copper construction. I've used alot of Thermaltakes SilentBoost HSF on the K7's and found them to be reliable, good units. Water Cooling is the ultimate in "coolness" factor but will add complexity and maintaince hassels down the line.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
"]weight has nothing to do with which heasink you buy, all of the heasinks don't apply enough force to bend or damange your mobo.

I've talked to guys at DFI that strongly disagree. And I've worked on board projects where deformations far less than those caused by large HSFs would put the system out of spec. Go measure the deflection caused by a Scythe Mine or a TT Big Typhoon. But before you do, tell me how much deflection is acceptable.

TRENDING THREADS