Sign in with
Your question

a quick question

Last response: in Overclocking
July 7, 2006 12:19:29 AM

hello all
my question is basically whats a really good CPU cooler?
I was leaning towards this one what do you think?
I dont have a ton of money and I wanted something to tide me over until I get liquid cooling which I wont be getting for awhile
also another question i might as well ask now is what is the best GPU cooler?
sry if this is all in the wrong section

More about : quick question

July 7, 2006 2:48:18 AM

anybody?
July 7, 2006 3:42:30 AM

there are many good options for cpu coolers

for a tight budget, go with the article freezer pro

for a bit more money (10-20 dollars) you can get something better performing like the si-120 or the big typhoon

and as for the gpu coolers, there are also good options such as the zalman vf700, 900 and the nvidia silencers
Related resources
July 7, 2006 3:45:54 AM

sry forgot to put that i have an Intel and ATi card
but I will look into the big typhoon and the si120
July 7, 2006 4:05:03 AM

Quote:
whats a really good CPU cooler?

That's one of the better performing coolers and it is inexpensive.

Quote:

What GPU do you have?
July 7, 2006 7:21:02 AM

Zalman 9500s are easy to install and quite cool.....

They usually come with millions of brackets so you can use it on a (older) differnt MBs when you do finally get wc going.
July 7, 2006 12:05:03 PM

Radeon X800XL
July 7, 2006 12:29:22 PM

what brand would the SI120 cooler be?
I couldnt find it on frozencpu.com
July 7, 2006 6:42:17 PM

thermaright, and the 9500 costs too much.

if you have a x800xl, the first two options are still avaliable
July 7, 2006 8:22:10 PM

I checked those out and Im liking the VF900 without LEDs but I dont like the idea of it not ejecting the heat out the back of the case so Im thinking about going with the ATi silencer
July 8, 2006 12:30:43 AM

is the big typhoon enough better than the arctic freezer to be worth it?
and thx for the help so far
July 8, 2006 1:44:51 AM

my philosophy of HSF is that it does what its suppose to do - remove heat from the core to the case, and the vf900 does exactly that.

what are case fans for anyways? even if vf900 doesn't have the fan blowing out of the case, it is still one of the best HSFs for the graphics card

the big typhoon is definitly worth the money because of its performance. a thing i would look out for though is the installation. thermalright got lazy and the installation is really a pain in the butt(have one myself).

if you want to have the best of both worlds, go with the si-120, tuniq tower or scythe ninja
July 8, 2006 1:56:30 AM

I may just save up and get the Tt 745 LCing kit cause if I got the SI-120 or the big typhoon along with the VF900 thats gonna be about $100 when the 745 kit is only $150 and then add an extra GPU block onto that later on
July 8, 2006 7:56:17 AM

don't get the big water, ther performance is only marginally better and its not worth the money
July 8, 2006 11:51:11 AM

Quote:
is the big typhoon enough better than the arctic freezer to be worth it?

One down side to the Big Typhoon is weight and therefore stress on the mobo. And it's height means that it has big leverage too. The Arctic is much lighter and shorter.
July 8, 2006 2:00:25 PM

hmm thx
I just need about $100 and I can just get the Tt 745 kit
July 8, 2006 6:05:05 PM

weight has nothing to do with which heasink you buy, all of the heasinks don't apply enough force to bend or damange your mobo.

again, DON'T get the big water, its a waste of money, either get high end aircooling, or REAL watercooling
July 8, 2006 6:39:41 PM

well I was thinking of getting the big water and then eventually shifting the parts and replacing them with DD parts unless for about $150-$200 I can get a better setup
July 8, 2006 7:44:28 PM

its impossible to upgrade the big water without buying an entirely new loop. if you are looking to do watercooling, save up somewhere between 200 and 300 dollars.
July 8, 2006 8:34:37 PM

ok
I was looking on the DD site and a medium range one configured the way I want would be about $250 of course Ill prolly want help with what items I would want to get with it
July 10, 2006 1:47:52 AM

anybody know whats the extra nozzle on the DD RBX CPU block is for? extra pressure?
July 10, 2006 2:45:30 AM

Quote:
hello all
my question is basically whats a really good CPU cooler?
I dont have a ton of money and I wanted something to tide me over until I get liquid cooling which I wont be getting for awhile
sry if this is all in the wrong section

Thermalright SI-120.
The way it is built it also helps cool your ram,voltage regulators ect,ect.

For a fan I like the Silverstone FM-121.
It comes with a free speed controler and @ full speed moves up to 110CFPM and also makes a nice case fan.

I find this combo used in a well vented cases like the Coolermasters that the cpu runs about 2C over room air. I always remove the fan guard on the cases for full air flow.

Watercooling is a thing of the past and can cost up to 6 times the price of the above system with no real gain in cooling.

Here you can find a pic of the cooler:
http://www.svc.com/si-120.html

Z
July 10, 2006 3:30:40 AM

1 reason I want to get a LCing system is cause of the shock value and Iv always wanted a WCed system and a case with a window cause my dad would always buy Dells and they dont put windows in them and i always thought it would be cool to have both of those
July 10, 2006 3:52:07 AM

I gave this some thought. Over time it seems to me that the better HSF's have had two things in common. A large, slow,(quite), fan, and copper construction. I've used alot of Thermaltakes SilentBoost HSF on the K7's and found them to be reliable, good units. Water Cooling is the ultimate in "coolness" factor but will add complexity and maintaince hassels down the line.
July 10, 2006 4:34:05 AM

Quote:
"]weight has nothing to do with which heasink you buy, all of the heasinks don't apply enough force to bend or damange your mobo.

I've talked to guys at DFI that strongly disagree. And I've worked on board projects where deformations far less than those caused by large HSFs would put the system out of spec. Go measure the deflection caused by a Scythe Mine or a TT Big Typhoon. But before you do, tell me how much deflection is acceptable.
July 10, 2006 5:30:48 AM

sorry, i didn't do any research or study on this, but i did not hear of once case where someone's mobo was bent or broken due to the weight of the HSF

and to the other guy, the nozzle is to accelerate the water to give more turbulence
July 10, 2006 5:52:45 AM

Quote:
"]sorry, i didn't do any research or study on this, but i did not hear of once case where someone's mobo was bent or broken due to the weight of the HSF

I first heard about it from an Asus tech service guy. It turned out that the problem I was having was due to a bad optical drive I was using to load XP, but at the time, I thought I had a mobo problem. The Asus guy asked what HSF I was using and mentioned that they were seeing occasional problems with socket-area problems caused by large, heavy HSFs. So a few months later, I was trying to decide on a mobo for my son's game box and got into a conversation with a DFI engineer. He also mentioned damage to the socket area caused by heavy HSFs. So I have no idea how real of a problem this is, but I used a mic and measured deformation around the socket and was really surprised to see how much there was. I'd think that performance-oriented mobo makers would add more substance to the socket area to beef it up.
July 10, 2006 1:15:40 PM

I've seen two E-machines, PCChips MB's, where the owners upgraded the CPU HSF and the MB's cracked, :(  Killing the machines. Later set them both up with much better units. :D 
July 10, 2006 1:18:15 PM

Quote:
I've seen two E-machines, PCChips MB's, where the owners upgraded the CPU HSF and the MB's cracked, :(  Killing the machines. Later set them both up with much better units. :D 

Any idea if it was related to HSF mounting mistakes or the weight of the HSF?
July 10, 2006 1:34:03 PM

The first thing that struck me was how thin the MB was to begin with. Both young men,( teenagers) told me that they had replced the HSF's cause the fan had failed the the origianal units. Don't recall the brands. :? Both also liked to take their machines to friends for LAN partys and the like. Neither said they had dropped them and I didn't see any outward indication that they had. I don't think any errors had been made in the installs. I do remember they were Intel socket 775's.
July 10, 2006 3:08:43 PM

thx for the answer on the RBX block
1 thing you could do it might not be pretty but like my case has a support bar running across the top of the CPU area and if you had a tall enough HSF you could strap a zip tie around the support and the HSF to give it alittle more support from MB warping
July 10, 2006 3:42:16 PM

I have a Zalman 9500 on my cpu and a VF900 for my vid card, and both work very well. Weight is not an issue for either and they spin slow and cool quite a bit more then the stock cooling both came with. cpu dropped about 11C and vid dropped about 8C( with no OC on either). They do cost more but they work great and are very quiet on low or high speed. Easy to install as well( you might have to take your mobo out though).
July 11, 2006 1:47:45 AM

interesting, but i doubt its a huge problem, because if it is, the problem would already explode everywhere.

the damage to the mobo also depends on a lot of things. if it is a socet 939, then it would be more likely to bend it due to the fact that it only has two mounting holes.

the tightness of which you screw your screws are also important. too tight, and you might cause a minor fracture on the pcb, which inturn will deform the mobo and even break it.

HSF design is also a factor, take the tuniq tower and the big tyhpoon for example. the center of gravity of up high on the big tyhpoon causing more stress on the mobo while the tuniq tower has a more evened out weight distribution.

all in all, weight of the hsf should not be a concern to people as long as you take the proper precautions in installing
July 11, 2006 2:48:12 AM

heres what Im thinking is Im gonna get about a $250 worth DD kit and then save up again and get a rad that supports 3 12CM fans and then cut a chunk out of the bottom of my case out and mount it in there or by then I may have a full tower and then Ill have plenty of room to mount it somewhere but Ill have to think about alot of things first though
July 12, 2006 2:24:05 AM

sounds good, but for the cpu block, you should look at the swiftech storm or the cooltechnica mp-05, both are better blocks than the tdx and rbx by a considerable margine
July 12, 2006 2:58:22 AM

There is no such thing as a "quick question".
July 12, 2006 3:07:22 AM

so its not that hard to mix and match components as lo0ng as they are they same DIA hose?
July 12, 2006 5:13:57 AM

Quote:
"]interesting, but i doubt its a huge problem, because if it is, the problem would already explode everywhere.

the weight problem occurs mostly if you move your PC around.

personally, i recommend the Zalman 7000-Cu/LED great coolers, i have 2, 1 LED and 1 non. Not too heavy, very quiet.

my opinion.

but that freezer is a good cooler too.
July 12, 2006 12:28:55 PM

which waterblock would you recommend Shawn the MP-05 or the Storm?
July 12, 2006 4:59:37 PM

when I put my comp together i did notice that the stock paste on the HSF was thick and it didnt want to go on right so my dad went and got some grease and we removed the old paste and put that on and it went on fine
July 12, 2006 10:50:04 PM

you literally used grease?
July 13, 2006 1:36:15 AM

if you have the money, go for the storm, its marginally better and a bit less restrictive.

with both blocks, make sure to have a strong pump (lain ddc or d5 on dangerden)
July 13, 2006 4:31:22 AM

no i dont literally use grease I meant thermal grease you know like arctic silver 5
with the pump I was thinkin of goin with an enheim pump
July 13, 2006 4:35:05 AM

Quote:
"]interesting, but i doubt its a huge problem, because if it is, the problem would already explode everywhere.

the weight problem occurs mostly if you move your PC around.

That makes sense.
July 13, 2006 4:44:19 AM

what do you think I should get Shawn?
if I dont say the brand then I would take some advice
Im gonna go with a 2x12CM rad (most likely the DD thermochill for high CFM fans)
the Swiftech Storm
an Enheim pump(prolly the medium priced one)
a NB block(unless nobody thinks I need one)
a GPU block(maybe not cause im not sure how long im gonna keep this card)
and then a DD fillport with resevoir

I will take advice on everything if theres better out there
July 13, 2006 7:01:13 PM

DON'T get the ehiem pump, they are underpowered and were things of years ago. get the lain d5 or ddc, they are both much stronger pumps than the ehiem
July 13, 2006 8:14:21 PM

I looked and couldnt find the Lain site could you post it?
July 13, 2006 11:41:03 PM

I think I would go with the DDC since its the same price as the other and has better pressure
now what would be wise to use for a NB if I need one?
thx for your help so far
!