Xbox 360 MOBO..... Similarities....Jumpers?

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Why did I ever think console gaming could ever be as good as the real deal? Anyway, last Nov. I got a 360 and have regretted it since early June when the update came out. From what I gather, the update is downloaded over Live to the HDD and the EPROM is flashed from the hard drive after a re-boot. Since that re-boot, my system is entirely worthless, games freeze, Dashboard won't launch, etc... Before that point my system was as solid as a rock. Could there be hard jumpers I could reset that would restore the system to a previous state? If not, is it feasable that the update itself could have caused hardware problems to suddenly appear? The console crowd has let me down, Does anyone have experience that may somehow be applicable to my predicament? Thanks.

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
My room-mate has a 360 and doesn't have any of those problems with his. I would first try calling the store you bought it from, and if you have no luck there then Microsoft itself; the second you crack the 360's case all warranties are voided.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I tried the store, 1800myxbox, and Mastercard for an extended warranty, (should've bought it on the AMEX). I have since talked to a supervisor who offered me a $65 dollar repair which I think I'll take. Still, If Microsoft wasn't anticipating such a high failure rate then why would they establish 1800myxbox? Furthermore, why would I be offered a further rebate after pressing the supervisor and knowing that disconnecting the hard drive would not do anything after the EPROM was flashed?

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I'm not sure what to say, it deffinatly sounds like you between a rock and a hard place. There may be a way to undo the update somewhere in the hard drive. If that's even possible, you probably won't be able to use live though.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, beats me. I E-mailed a higher-up in the X-box division and got a real positive response. Thus far (knock on wood) I'm happy from the response I've gotten from MS.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I was hoping that there might be a way to repair the system through Live, like a revision of the EPROM flash. The problem is, my system isn't stable enough to get onto live for more than a minute, literally. I hope my handwritten letters to upper-level Microsoft management might help fix the problem.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
um, return it or send it in for repair. don't even open it up. you might as well wait a couple weeks than screw something up on the inside and then be totally fucked since it will VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

akscottbot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Still, If Microsoft wasn't anticipating such a high failure rate then why would they establish 1800myxbox?

1800-4my-xbox was established when the first Xbox came out. Would you prefer no way to contact them?

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I've had this thing since launch in November. Also, to clarify, each launch system came with a huge notification featuring Kameo that said "if you have any problems please call 1800my xbox. " This form also offered several extended warranty options

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I feel that a $400 dollar piece of equipment shouldn't fail after an 8 month period of moderate use, 800xbox or not. It was the June update, hands down.