load balancing

Hi to all,
We have 4 dc but when our primary DC is not online the client can't logon.
How can we make sure that all dc is in load balance in authentication. Thanks
a lot in advance..

"emslan" <emslan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi to all,
> We have 4 dc but when our primary DC is not online the client can't logon.
> How can we make sure that all dc is in load balance in authentication.
Thanks
> a lot in advance..

Chance are it is the DNS. Either not enough DNS
servers (e.g., only one on the down DC OR perhaps
not all of the DCs are "DNS clients" of the internal
DNS server set and thus never registered).

Make sure you have at least one DNS available all
of the time (one on each DC probably makes the
most sense) and...

Check these:

DNS for AD
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

netdiag /fix

....or maybe:

dcdiag /fix

(Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

--
Herb Martin

Take a look at making at least one other Domain Controller a Global Catalog
Server. In a smaller environment ( you do not state how many user account
objects and computer account objects that you have in your environment or
how many Sites or Domains ) you generally want to consider making all of
your Domain Controllers a Global Catalog Server.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"emslan" <emslan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi to all,
> We have 4 dc but when our primary DC is not online the client can't logon.
> How can we make sure that all dc is in load balance in authentication.
> Thanks
> a lot in advance..

And as Herb has stated, make sure that you have at least two DNS Server IP
Addresses in Option 15 of DHCP so that the clients have multiple DNS Server
information ( I overlooked the obvious in my initial reply ).

Are you in Native Mode?