Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

h2210 restore question

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
December 2, 2004 10:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Due to a malfunction during a sync, my h2210 went into a loop where it tried
to switch on and then performed a soft reset all on its own. Even after
removing teh battery for a minute it would carry on doing the loop.
Only thing for it was a hard reset. Luckily ( mops brow) i had only done a
backup a few days earlier so onto activ sync and press restoer. It worked
marvellous etc etc etc.
One question though:- When i purchased the h2210 i quickly from the HP IPAQ
website upgraded the bios etc as suggested here. Will that upgrade been
part of the backup or do i now have to visit and upgrade again.
By the way i am now backing up to the 2 pcs I use and also onto a Card,
once bitten twice shy as they say.
phew!!!

More about : h2210 restore question

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Steve" <aragon2@btinternet.com> wrote in news:conr0o$lin$1
@sparta.btinternet.com:

> Due to a malfunction during a sync, my h2210 went into a loop where it
tried
> to switch on and then performed a soft reset all on its own. Even after
> removing teh battery for a minute it would carry on doing the loop.
> Only thing for it was a hard reset. Luckily ( mops brow) i had only
done a
> backup a few days earlier so onto activ sync and press restoer. It
worked
> marvellous etc etc etc.
> One question though:- When i purchased the h2210 i quickly from the HP
IPAQ
> website upgraded the bios etc as suggested here. Will that upgrade
been
> part of the backup or do i now have to visit and upgrade again.
> By the way i am now backing up to the 2 pcs I use and also onto a
Card,
> once bitten twice shy as they say.
> phew!!!
>
>
>

If you performed the upgrade before the backup there should be no
problems whatever.
An upgrade is intended to renew the software in ROM. It actually isn't
exactly ROM, it can be altered, if you use the right procedures. And that
is just what an update is supposed to do. So by hard-resetting the
machine you have set it back to the state right after the upgrade
procedure. At least: that's what I logically suppose (haven't done it
myself yet, the upgrade here is still waiting untill I decide to
reinstall my 2210)

If you have made the backup after the upgrade, all soft will be
reinstalled by the restore-routine according to the updated OS you have
put in your machine. So the 2210 should be back in the same status as it
was at the time of the backup.
--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:18:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

That may be a little confusing. The ROM update from HP is a Flash upgrade.
It 'permanently' changes the code stored in ROM (until you do another such
upgrade. From that point forth, hard resetting will take you to a post
upgrade system, i.e. the new ROM. Backups made after the upgrade are fine.
Backups made before the upgrade should not be used. They are referenced to
an older version of the OS, and changes in the registry layout and contents
may change enough to cause odd problems when the new OS tries to work with
the old registry. Typically the Upgrade instructions tell you to backup your
data, not to backup your device. That's different.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95B3D8AB28860softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.0.34...
> "Steve" <aragon2@btinternet.com> wrote in news:conr0o$lin$1
> @sparta.btinternet.com:
>
> > Due to a malfunction during a sync, my h2210 went into a loop where it
> tried
> > to switch on and then performed a soft reset all on its own. Even after
> > removing teh battery for a minute it would carry on doing the loop.
> > Only thing for it was a hard reset. Luckily ( mops brow) i had only
> done a
> > backup a few days earlier so onto activ sync and press restoer. It
> worked
> > marvellous etc etc etc.
> > One question though:- When i purchased the h2210 i quickly from the HP
> IPAQ
> > website upgraded the bios etc as suggested here. Will that upgrade
> been
> > part of the backup or do i now have to visit and upgrade again.
> > By the way i am now backing up to the 2 pcs I use and also onto a
> Card,
> > once bitten twice shy as they say.
> > phew!!!
> >
> >
> >
>
> If you performed the upgrade before the backup there should be no
> problems whatever.
> An upgrade is intended to renew the software in ROM. It actually isn't
> exactly ROM, it can be altered, if you use the right procedures. And that
> is just what an update is supposed to do. So by hard-resetting the
> machine you have set it back to the state right after the upgrade
> procedure. At least: that's what I logically suppose (haven't done it
> myself yet, the upgrade here is still waiting untill I decide to
> reinstall my 2210)
>
> If you have made the backup after the upgrade, all soft will be
> reinstalled by the restore-routine according to the updated OS you have
> put in your machine. So the 2210 should be back in the same status as it
> was at the time of the backup.
> --
>
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
Related resources
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 11:47:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

What's this ROM upgrade? How do I know if I have the latest ROM. I
purchased my 2210 about three months ago.

John R

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eKuhV4N2EHA.3092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> That may be a little confusing. The ROM update from HP is a Flash
> upgrade.
> It 'permanently' changes the code stored in ROM (until you do another such
> upgrade. From that point forth, hard resetting will take you to a post
> upgrade system, i.e. the new ROM. Backups made after the upgrade are
> fine.
> Backups made before the upgrade should not be used. They are referenced to
> an older version of the OS, and changes in the registry layout and
> contents
> may change enough to cause odd problems when the new OS tries to work with
> the old registry. Typically the Upgrade instructions tell you to backup
> your
> data, not to backup your device. That's different.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns95B3D8AB28860softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.0.34...
>> "Steve" <aragon2@btinternet.com> wrote in news:conr0o$lin$1
>> @sparta.btinternet.com:
>>
>> > Due to a malfunction during a sync, my h2210 went into a loop where it
>> tried
>> > to switch on and then performed a soft reset all on its own. Even after
>> > removing teh battery for a minute it would carry on doing the loop.
>> > Only thing for it was a hard reset. Luckily ( mops brow) i had only
>> done a
>> > backup a few days earlier so onto activ sync and press restoer. It
>> worked
>> > marvellous etc etc etc.
>> > One question though:- When i purchased the h2210 i quickly from the HP
>> IPAQ
>> > website upgraded the bios etc as suggested here. Will that upgrade
>> been
>> > part of the backup or do i now have to visit and upgrade again.
>> > By the way i am now backing up to the 2 pcs I use and also onto a
>> Card,
>> > once bitten twice shy as they say.
>> > phew!!!
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> If you performed the upgrade before the backup there should be no
>> problems whatever.
>> An upgrade is intended to renew the software in ROM. It actually isn't
>> exactly ROM, it can be altered, if you use the right procedures. And that
>> is just what an update is supposed to do. So by hard-resetting the
>> machine you have set it back to the state right after the upgrade
>> procedure. At least: that's what I logically suppose (haven't done it
>> myself yet, the upgrade here is still waiting untill I decide to
>> reinstall my 2210)
>>
>> If you have made the backup after the upgrade, all soft will be
>> reinstalled by the restore-routine according to the updated OS you have
>> put in your machine. So the 2210 should be back in the same status as it
>> was at the time of the backup.
>> --
>>
>> SoftSpot
>> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
>> "Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
>> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>>
>> (just remove the spamstatement
>> and one underscore
>> to respond personally,
>> but please keep it friendly,
>
>
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 11:47:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Do a soft reset and see what version you have - 1.00 or 1.10 (on the
screen right lower corner)
1.10 means you have the ROM-upgrade.
December 4, 2004 1:40:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks to all for the replies,
we do need these machines dont we :) ) and we miss them when they go wrong
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:53:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Kind of like women actually.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Steve" <aragon2@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:cos46s$sdn$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Thanks to all for the replies,
> we do need these machines dont we :) ) and we miss them when they go
wrong
>
>
!