Sign in with
Your question

crashed during overclocking AMD 64

Last response: in Overclocking
July 7, 2006 8:24:54 AM

For some strange reason my computer crashes shortly after overclocking it only a tiny amount. I overclocked the FSB to 205 (2059Mhz) which isn’t much I know and the computer restarted its self. My CPU is athlon 64 3200. I know that it is cool enough because case side is off and it uses an Arctic cooler 64 (http://arcticcooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&disc=) I used SYStool for the overclocking this may be the problem but I am unsure. to e it seems strange that it should crash shortly after only a small OC. Perhaps people could suggest some software or any ideas, thanks.
July 7, 2006 9:08:01 AM

Ok, it seems noone has bothered to reply to your noob scauce question, so here's my thoughts.
The chances of a processor becoming unstable with such a mild overclock are very low imo, I know there is some memory that just won't overclock very well at all and instability can be reached by such a small increase in the htt clock, so heres a suggestion lower your memory divider to a really low speed and try overclocking again.

Also sometimes overclocking in windows can be unstable , really depends on the system some will oc well in windows some won't,I guess that might be a rare thing but it's happened to me in the past. I always just do ocing trough my motherboard's bios.

Not much else I can think of, the hypertransport speed would probly only be about 25mhz over it's normal speed so I dought it's that either... can't be the chipset being unstable at a tiny 5mhz overclock... I suppose it's possible but highly unlikely.
So yup... must be your memory.
July 7, 2006 10:20:00 AM

Best way of overclocking would be from your Bios, also ensure you have read quite a bit on how to do this b4 your attempt this, after all you do not want to fry your chip.

I will try and give you a quick step to OC'ing....

1. Go to BIOS, usually press DEL when u see your mem test and Hardrive info appear at boot.

2. You need to know the limits of your memory, for example is it PC2700 (runs at 333mhz), PC3200 (400mhz), PC3500 (433mhz), PC4000 (500mhz)... as this will either aid or inhibit your overclocking.

3. Reduce your HTT, to 3x, it could be that for some reason your motherboard was on a HTT of 5x, which would explain the small overclock failing.

4. use a memory divider, for example if you have PC3200 Ram which on a AMD mobo will display as running at 200mhz, drop that down to either 166 or 133.

5. Increase the FSB, by small amounts +5 at a time when starting off from 200. Save then see if it boots correctly.

6. Ensure you know how to clear the CMOS, as in what jumper to pull out to create a short, when the pc is switched off. some mobos are easier to clear, some just need you to pull the jumper when you have the mains switched off, others require that you pull the jumper and also unplug the power leads from the mobo... this will aid you in restoring your BIOS settings when you may have overclocked a bit too far.

7.Patience is the Key, DO NOT, (sorry for shouting) try and increase the FSB to 250+ straight away...!

8. Know the limits of your cpu in overclocking on air, read reviews to see what the maximum clock achievable on air for your cpu is....thats what i did I have my AMD64 3000+ venice (1.8ghz stock) running at (2.5ghz) with a 290FSB on an old MSI neo 2 Platinum, and the only reason why i am doing that is that i know that is pretty much how far you can go with this cpu, it can do a bit more but my RAM is holding it back.

if any of this did not make sense then please, please read up a little bit more on overclocking before undertacking this proceedure, its not that hard but unless you do it properly you could be left with a useless fried piece of hardware.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit
Related resources
July 7, 2006 10:26:21 AM

thanks v much, me will try that. the HTT was set at 5x me will reduce it.
July 7, 2006 11:23:59 AM

Hi,

If you are interested in overclocking read this.

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300&p=1

Zimbobear spot on with what you say.

For info my E6 Venice 3000 is running at 278FSB also giving me 2.52G.

I took it slow and the reasons are well explained in the doc above.

I should add that the above has been achieved with stock cooler and stock voltage.
July 9, 2006 12:30:22 PM

thanks, i thinks it is a ram problem seems like its time to start saving those pennies
July 10, 2006 9:38:22 AM

What type of RAM are you using?

Is the DFI lan Party the mobo with the orange and yellow DDR slots?
July 10, 2006 1:45:58 PM

yes, it is the the DFI one with orange and yellow slots. the ram is generic stuff whihc is most likely the problem and they are set up in dual channel mode, incase you suggest that to me. :wink: thanks
July 10, 2006 2:21:47 PM

lol, ok i was going to suggest that, I am not sure if it is this model that you have but if you read the review it does suggest that this board does have problems with some memory modules

http://compreviews.about.com/od/cpus/gr/DFILPUTNF4SLIDR...

Quoted from the review
"Stability is a bit of an issue with the board at stock settings though. In testing, some memory modules posed problems allowing the system to POST unless they were installed in specific memory slots and sometimes only a single module could be installed before the BIOS settings could be tweaked for it to POST properly with two modules. "

I don't know if you have tried this, but if you are using the Yellow slots try the orange slots, or vice versa depending on how you initially set the RAM up, it might help.
July 10, 2006 3:52:50 PM

thanks, the forum you posted suggested using the orange slots, which i currently do use and last time i switched the RAM to the yellow ones the computer didnt post :(  so i reverted back to the orange ones. however i have noticed the the different colours seem to work different for different people. would you recoment updating my bios. if so please could i have some help for that :? because me aint done it before, got to start somewhere.
July 10, 2006 4:16:47 PM

First of all you need to make sure you know the make and model of the DFI board that you use, next is to download the latest BIOS from DFI, and then you can either flash the BIOS via DOS or you can use WinFlash..

Flashing via DOS

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/mb_faq_us1.jsp?FAQ_ID=118...

Flashing via Windows using WinFlash....

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios_Winflash_us...

I have not flashed a DFI board before, but I have flashed my MSI Neo-2 platinum various times since i got it, and never had a problem. If you are careful and follow the manufacturers instructions you should be fine. WinFlash looks pretty easy to use, but i would advice googling winFlash to see if anyone has had problems with it....

Hope that helps... and good luck if you do flash your BIOS ...:) 

Find out what version of the BIOS you are currently running and see how far apart from the current version it is and you can probably see all the updates that have happened to the new BIOS's
July 10, 2006 4:27:08 PM

You should try and learn how to flash via DOS, which means that you will need to have a Windows Boot up disk that goes into DOS mode lying about..... it is always handy to have this kind of knowledge in case a windows based flashing proceedure goes wrong and you cannot figure out how to go back to the original BIOS...
!