nVidia NIC strange crash

sbdragon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
hello, I got a following strange problem - I have an MSI board with nforce 3 250gb chipset, and integrated nVidia LAN - everything is working fine, until I do one thing - disable the LAN connection (as I understand it that is the same as disabling the network adapter). Guess what happens? an immediate bluescreen - everytime I do it, tried WinXP and Win 2000 - results very similar. bluescreen says that error occured in the main driver file, (nvlrm.sys or something like that). Actually, after hours and hours of research and misery, I worked out a simple solution - unplugging the cable instead of disabling the NIC :) - you may ask why is that a problem, but we had a dumb university network, running with some securew2 client enabling 802.11 authentication over EAP protocol or sth. like that, and this "sofisticated" solution never works - when I turned on the PC, it never authenticated corretly with DHCP server, and the only way to connect was to re-enable the LAN connection (that was a problem of many other students). I ASK, DO YOU THINK IT'S A FAULTY HARDWARE, an IRQ PROBLEM or what ? When I use a PCI NIC, there is no problem - but I prefer the on-board one for obvious reasons. thanks for any valuable suggestions.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I get exactly the same with mine - MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. Of the 2 onboard NIC's the Realtek is fine, just with the Nvidia one I have the problem.

First noticed it a while back when I built a smoothwall box and wanted to get rid of the Nvidia firewall to save resources - had some problems doing that and from then on I get complete system halt if I try disabling it in Windows. Firmware & driver change didn't seem to cure it either.

sbdragon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
oh my, I'm really "glad" I'm not the only one in the world having this problem :) Now as you remind me, it also started when I was installing the drivers or uninstalling the firewall or sth like that, I don't remember exactly, but I believe that it worked fine when I bought the board.. Maybe that is some hidden fault in nVidia's NIC?? I'd really like to see some other people's experiences and opinions.