DragonTU84

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Hey everyone! Just recently, my family's old Gateway 700 X system's motherboard crashed, and they are now looking for a new, good stable system. Since my family is clueless when it comes to purchasing the best new PC for-the-buck, I thought I would post here getting your all's recommendations?

Preferrably it should be some mainstream PC that would be good for basic computing needs (word processing, internet usage, etc.), that is a good, solid, stable system that won't crash on them again within the next 5 years.

I recommended to them a Sony VAIO RB60, since it seems to be the most stable PC out there with the best parts and hardware of any mainstream system (that won't crash on them so easily), yet I wanted your alls' opinions? IS the Sony VAIO the best pick, or should I recommend another?

~Crystal~

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
As far as a good system hardware wise its hard to difinatively say that it wont crash with in 5 years. If you buy an extended waranty from a retailer your computer could be gone for weeks for repair. I recently bought a Dell from a friend that is about 2 years old and it is still going. The Sony systems are pretty nice also. The specs on the computer you are looking at are very decent. The most important thing to remember as far as computers is to back up all important data. If there is the remote posibility of any gaming on the computer the only problem with the system is the onboard video, it won't handle some graphics intense games.

DragonTU84

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Thanks Scorch! :) The Sony RB60 does seem like a very nice comp.-one I wouldn't mind buying for myself! :D If only I had the MONEY, tho! 8O

I saw a good sale for it at Best Buy about a week ago, yet I dunno if it is still on sale or not.

My dad has a Dell, yet my fam. would rather just get a computer at a store than have to order-and-wait for it. I kept the parts from their old sys. and will hold onto them for my sys. in case any parts ever go bad. :p Their vid. card is in good shape, and the CPU is still nice...and I would've even used their mem. to upgrade mine, yet theirs is PC800 RDRAM RIMM mem., and mine uses DDR SDRAM DIMM... meh. :tongue:

BTW, I need help in removing the CPU from the fried Mobo...any one have any good sites with visuals and such on how to remove it?? There are no directions on how to safely remove it in the sys. manual.

~CP