Wi-Fi Problems

December 2, 2004 5:37:56 PM

My new iPaq 4155 has been working fine with my home network (Linksys
WRT54G wireless router) for the last couple of months. Now it takes longer
to connect (about 30-sec), and when it does, I can't get on the internet or
download email. The iPaq works perfectly with other Wi-Fi hotspots. When
it connects at home, under iPaq WLAN Wireless Adapter/Use server-assigned
IP address, it shows: 169.254.188.158 ... which is definitely not mine. It
should be something like 192.168.1.... My notebook computer connects to my
home wireless network just fine, so I know the network is functioning. I reset
the WEP key a couple of times, so it's correct.. All the other network settings are
as they were before. I've also done a soft reset. Using the built-in Ipaq Backup
program, I backed up everything to a storage card 4 days ago. Might it help
to do a restore (which I assume restores the registry as well)? Otherwise,
any other ideas to try?

Thanks!
Scott

More about : problems

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:29:02 AM

You could try changing the channel that your wireless router broadcasts on.
If your laptop uses the G WiFi specification, then you might see a
difference from that of your pocket pc access that uses the b WiFi
specification (I am assuming the iPaq 4155 is using b).
There may be a nearby neighbor that is also broadcasting wifi that could be
causing a problem.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My new iPaq 4155 has been working fine with my home network (Linksys
> WRT54G wireless router) for the last couple of months. Now it takes
> longer
> to connect (about 30-sec), and when it does, I can't get on the internet
> or
> download email. The iPaq works perfectly with other Wi-Fi hotspots. When
> it connects at home, under iPaq WLAN Wireless Adapter/Use server-assigned
> IP address, it shows: 169.254.188.158 ... which is definitely not mine.
> It
> should be something like 192.168.1.... My notebook computer connects to
> my
> home wireless network just fine, so I know the network is functioning. I
> reset
> the WEP key a couple of times, so it's correct.. All the other network
> settings are
> as they were before. I've also done a soft reset. Using the built-in
> Ipaq Backup
> program, I backed up everything to a storage card 4 days ago. Might it
> help
> to do a restore (which I assume restores the registry as well)?
> Otherwise,
> any other ideas to try?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

December 3, 2004 4:49:47 PM

Gary,

That's a good idea. I did try several other channels on my router, but it made
no difference. I can't figure out why my PPC is locked onto that strange PPC
while at home, but logs on successfully to several WiFi hotspots around town.

Scott

Gary Mount wrote:

> You could try changing the channel that your wireless router broadcasts on.
> If your laptop uses the G WiFi specification, then you might see a
> difference from that of your pocket pc access that uses the b WiFi
> specification (I am assuming the iPaq 4155 is using b).
> There may be a nearby neighbor that is also broadcasting wifi that could be
> causing a problem.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > My new iPaq 4155 has been working fine with my home network (Linksys
> > WRT54G wireless router) for the last couple of months. Now it takes
> > longer
> > to connect (about 30-sec), and when it does, I can't get on the internet
> > or
> > download email. The iPaq works perfectly with other Wi-Fi hotspots. When
> > it connects at home, under iPaq WLAN Wireless Adapter/Use server-assigned
> > IP address, it shows: 169.254.188.158 ... which is definitely not mine.
> > It
> > should be something like 192.168.1.... My notebook computer connects to
> > my
> > home wireless network just fine, so I know the network is functioning. I
> > reset
> > the WEP key a couple of times, so it's correct.. All the other network
> > settings are
> > as they were before. I've also done a soft reset. Using the built-in
> > Ipaq Backup
> > program, I backed up everything to a storage card 4 days ago. Might it
> > help
> > to do a restore (which I assume restores the registry as well)?
> > Otherwise,
> > any other ideas to try?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

December 3, 2004 5:12:54 PM

The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...

* The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
* Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
* Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
Address in the authentication list.

Check...

1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.

You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.

See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:41AF7D24.177588B0@uslink.net...
> My new iPaq 4155 has been working fine with my home network (Linksys
> WRT54G wireless router) for the last couple of months. Now it takes longer
> to connect (about 30-sec), and when it does, I can't get on the internet or
> download email. The iPaq works perfectly with other Wi-Fi hotspots. When
> it connects at home, under iPaq WLAN Wireless Adapter/Use server-assigned
> IP address, it shows: 169.254.188.158 ... which is definitely not mine. It
> should be something like 192.168.1.... My notebook computer connects to my
> home wireless network just fine, so I know the network is functioning. I reset
> the WEP key a couple of times, so it's correct.. All the other network settings are
> as they were before. I've also done a soft reset. Using the built-in Ipaq Backup
> program, I backed up everything to a storage card 4 days ago. Might it help
> to do a restore (which I assume restores the registry as well)? Otherwise,
> any other ideas to try?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

December 3, 2004 8:57:52 PM

Sooner Al,

Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP document you suggested. It's very good.

Next, I reset the WEP key on the PPC and router and then checked to make sure the
SSID is being broadcast (it is). I do not have MAC Address Authentication turned on.
I also tried removing and reinstalling the battery, releasing and renewing the router
connection, and resetting the router. Nothing changed.

I'm still getting that strange IP address: 169.254.188.158.

What's odd is that the PPC has no problem connecting to my Linksys router. It's just not
seeing the 192.168.1.... address.

I see at www.hp.com, they do offer a Wireless LAN Driver Update, which addresses some
roaming questions. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. and my unit has v1.00. I
read on a newsgroup somewhere about problems when upgrading to this ROM version, so
I'm leery of making the situation worse.

I've had the h4155 iPaq for three months and have had no problem connecting to my home
network, until now. I guess I can live without the home connection feature as long as it
works with other networks, but I miss that option.

I'm puzzled. Any more ideas?

Thanks again!
Scott

Sooner Al wrote:

> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>
> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
> Address in the authentication list.
>
> Check...
>
> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>
> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>
> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>
> -
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 10:17:05 PM

Yeah, your IP address should not be 169.254.188.158. Maybe you are picking
up someone else's network. Then again, that IP is odd regardless. It looks
more like a commercial or corporate IP address.

Anyway, just check your router setup. There is usually a screen that will
show you what IP addresses its DHCP function assigned to connected devices.
You probably will find you are connected to someone else's router. Either
that or you somehow got your PPC configuration hard-coded to that strange
IP. Perhaps from some other router that you connected to in the past?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com

"Gary Mount" <gary_mount@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You could try changing the channel that your wireless router broadcasts
> on.
> If your laptop uses the G WiFi specification, then you might see a
> difference from that of your pocket pc access that uses the b WiFi
> specification (I am assuming the iPaq 4155 is using b).
> There may be a nearby neighbor that is also broadcasting wifi that could
> be causing a problem.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> My new iPaq 4155 has been working fine with my home network (Linksys
>> WRT54G wireless router) for the last couple of months. Now it takes
>> longer
>> to connect (about 30-sec), and when it does, I can't get on the internet
>> or
>> download email. The iPaq works perfectly with other Wi-Fi hotspots.
>> When
>> it connects at home, under iPaq WLAN Wireless Adapter/Use server-assigned
>> IP address, it shows: 169.254.188.158 ... which is definitely not mine.
>> It
>> should be something like 192.168.1.... My notebook computer connects to
>> my
>> home wireless network just fine, so I know the network is functioning. I
>> reset
>> the WEP key a couple of times, so it's correct.. All the other network
>> settings are
>> as they were before. I've also done a soft reset. Using the built-in
>> Ipaq Backup
>> program, I backed up everything to a storage card 4 days ago. Might it
>> help
>> to do a restore (which I assume restores the registry as well)?
>> Otherwise,
>> any other ideas to try?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Scott

December 3, 2004 10:17:06 PM

Tim,

I checked my Linksys router config, and there doesn't appear to be a place
that shows each connected device. I did visit a local restaurant the night before
this happened and logged onto their network (I was able to access the internet).
It's possibe my PPC is still trying to use that IP. If so, what can I do about it?

Since then, I've been able to access other hot spots (motels, etc.) around town
that offer free WiFi access...with no problem.

I do have a neighbor with a Dlink wireless router that I occassionally see on my
PPC, but I doubt he would have such a strange IP address. I did try changing
my router to several other channels, but it didn't help.

Would restoring my iPaq Backup from a few days before this happened make a
difference? Is the IP address configured in the registry?

Thanks!
Scott

Tim Nicholson wrote:

> Yeah, your IP address should not be 169.254.188.158. Maybe you are picking
> up someone else's network. Then again, that IP is odd regardless. It looks
> more like a commercial or corporate IP address.
>
> Anyway, just check your router setup. There is usually a screen that will
> show you what IP addresses its DHCP function assigned to connected devices.
> You probably will find you are connected to someone else's router. Either
> that or you somehow got your PPC configuration hard-coded to that strange
> IP. Perhaps from some other router that you connected to in the past?
>
> --
> Tim Nicholson
> tim@pdainfosource.com
> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com

December 3, 2004 10:17:07 PM

Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in news:41B0C322.44EA66E1@uslink.net:

> Tim,
>
> I checked my Linksys router config, and there doesn't appear to be a
> place that shows each connected device. I did visit a local
> restaurant the night before this happened and logged onto their
> network (I was able to access the internet). It's possibe my PPC is
> still trying to use that IP. If so, what can I do about it?
>
> Since then, I've been able to access other hot spots (motels, etc.)
> around town that offer free WiFi access...with no problem.
>
> I do have a neighbor with a Dlink wireless router that I occassionally
> see on my PPC, but I doubt he would have such a strange IP address. I
> did try changing my router to several other channels, but it didn't
> help.
>
> Would restoring my iPaq Backup from a few days before this happened
> make a difference? Is the IP address configured in the registry?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
>
> Tim Nicholson wrote:
>
>> Yeah, your IP address should not be 169.254.188.158. Maybe you are
>> picking up someone else's network. Then again, that IP is odd
>> regardless. It looks more like a commercial or corporate IP address.
>>
>> Anyway, just check your router setup. There is usually a screen that
>> will show you what IP addresses its DHCP function assigned to
>> connected devices. You probably will find you are connected to
>> someone else's router. Either that or you somehow got your PPC
>> configuration hard-coded to that strange IP. Perhaps from some other
>> router that you connected to in the past?

Fear not... the 169.254 address would show up if your PPC can't find any
DHCP servers to talk to. i.e., before it associates itself to a nearby
access point or router.

These addresses in the 169.254.xxx.yyy would show up sometimes in your
Windows boxes if you have a cable connected, but no DHCP servers are
assigning IP addresses.

You can read more about it over at:
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHCPAutoconfigurationA...

I have seen this behaviour myself. All you have to do is to release the
IP address and once your Pocket PC finds a wireless access point or router
to talk to, you can then renew the address.

-Chris
December 3, 2004 10:25:24 PM

Sooner Al,

Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP support document. Very informative.

I reset the WEP key on my PPC and the Linksys router. Then I checked to see if SSID
is being broadcast (it is). I have not enabled MAC Address Authentication at all.

I also removed the battery and reinstalled it. Plus, I released and renewed my router...and
also reset the router. Nothing has changed.

It connects just fine to my home network, but I can't access anything.

On HP's support site, I see there is a Wireless LAN Driver Update that addresses roaming
issues. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. My ROM is v. 1.0. I read on another
newsgroup about problems when upgrading to this ROM version, so I'm leery of trying it
and making the problems worse.

I guess I can live without accessing my home network, but I sure hate to give up that option.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!
Scott

Sooner Al wrote:

> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>
> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
> Address in the authentication list.
>
> Check...
>
> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>
> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>
> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
December 3, 2004 11:06:57 PM

Sooner Al,

Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP support document. Very informative.

I reset the WEP key on my PPC and the Linksys router. Then I checked to see if SSID
is being broadcast (it is). I have not enabled MAC Address Authentication at all.

I also removed the battery and reinstalled it and did a soft reset. Plus, I released and
renewed my router...and also reset the router. Plus, I tried changing the channels on
the router. Nothing has made a difference.

Sooner Al wrote:

> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>
> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
> Address in the authentication list.
>
> Check...
>
> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>
> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>
> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:44:05 AM

Try a different channel. Many default to the same channel and say your
neighbor might have the same channel or some one passing by. Don't
forget often times many companies use mobile internet, like sears
repair vans.

http://www.virtualtuner.com

Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:<41B0FD80.C5ECE674@uslink.net>...
> Sooner Al,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP document you suggested. It's very good.
>
> Next, I reset the WEP key on the PPC and router and then checked to make sure the
> SSID is being broadcast (it is). I do not have MAC Address Authentication turned on.
> I also tried removing and reinstalling the battery, releasing and renewing the router
> connection, and resetting the router. Nothing changed.
>
> I'm still getting that strange IP address: 169.254.188.158.
>
> What's odd is that the PPC has no problem connecting to my Linksys router. It's just not
> seeing the 192.168.1.... address.
>
> I see at www.hp.com, they do offer a Wireless LAN Driver Update, which addresses some
> roaming questions. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. and my unit has v1.00. I
> read on a newsgroup somewhere about problems when upgrading to this ROM version, so
> I'm leery of making the situation worse.
>
> I've had the h4155 iPaq for three months and have had no problem connecting to my home
> network, until now. I guess I can live without the home connection feature as long as it
> works with other networks, but I miss that option.
>
> I'm puzzled. Any more ideas?
>
> Thanks again!
> Scott
>
> Sooner Al wrote:
>
> > The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> > network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
> >
> > * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> > * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
> > * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
> > Address in the authentication list.
> >
> > Check...
> >
> > 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
> > 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> > 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
> >
> > You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
> > the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
> >
> > See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
> >
> > http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
> >
> > -
December 4, 2004 1:47:57 AM

Sooner Al wrote:

> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>
> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
> Address in the authentication list.
>
> Check...
>
> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>
> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>
> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...

December 4, 2004 2:41:42 AM

> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>
> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on
the 4155.
> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155
MAC
> Address in the authentication list.
>
> Check...
>
> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the
4155.
> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>
> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then
reinstalling
> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>
> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of
us...
December 4, 2004 7:53:06 AM

If it was me would upgrade to the ROM 1.1 and the new WiFi driver like Tim mentioned...

--

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:sacsd.259$v03.84@fe03.lga...
> Sooner Al,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP support document. Very informative.
>
> I reset the WEP key on my PPC and the Linksys router. Then I checked to see if SSID
> is being broadcast (it is). I have not enabled MAC Address Authentication at all.
>
> I also removed the battery and reinstalled it and did a soft reset. Plus, I released and
> renewed my router...and also reset the router. Plus, I tried changing the channels on
> the router. Nothing has made a difference.
>
> It connects just fine to my home network, but I can't access anything.
>
> On HP's support site, I see there is a Wireless LAN Driver Update that addresses roaming
> issues. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. My ROM is v. 1.0. I read on another
> newsgroup about problems when upgrading to this ROM version, so I'm leery of trying it
> and making the problems worse.
>
> I guess I can live without accessing my home network, but I sure hate to give up that option.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks again!
> Scott
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
>> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>>
>> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
>> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on
> the 4155.
>> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155
> MAC
>> Address in the authentication list.
>>
>> Check...
>>
>> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the
> 4155.
>> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
>> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>>
>> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then
> reinstalling
>> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>>
>> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>>
>> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of
> us...

December 4, 2004 8:23:20 AM

Yikes. I upgraded the ROM to 1.10 as soon as I got the 4155. I installed the
Wi-Fi update too. What problems are there with this ROM update?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> Sooner Al,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP document you suggested. It's
> very good.
>
> Next, I reset the WEP key on the PPC and router and then checked to make
> sure the
> SSID is being broadcast (it is). I do not have MAC Address Authentication
> turned on.
> I also tried removing and reinstalling the battery, releasing and
> renewing the router
> connection, and resetting the router. Nothing changed.
>
> I'm still getting that strange IP address: 169.254.188.158.
>
> What's odd is that the PPC has no problem connecting to my Linksys router.
> It's just not
> seeing the 192.168.1.... address.
>
> I see at www.hp.com, they do offer a Wireless LAN Driver Update, which
> addresses some
> roaming questions. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. and my unit
> has v1.00. I
> read on a newsgroup somewhere about problems when upgrading to this ROM
> version, so
> I'm leery of making the situation worse.
>
> I've had the h4155 iPaq for three months and have had no problem
> connecting to my home
> network, until now. I guess I can live without the home connection
> feature as long as it
> works with other networks, but I miss that option.
>
> I'm puzzled. Any more ideas?
>
> Thanks again!
> Scott
>
> Sooner Al wrote:
>
>> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a
>> DHCP server on your
>> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>>
>> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the
>> access point.
>> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually
>> configured that on the 4155.
>> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not
>> configure the 4155 MAC
>> Address in the authentication list.
>>
>> Check...
>>
>> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually
>> configure that on the 4155.
>> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access
>> point.
>> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>>
>> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10
>> seconds, then reinstalling
>> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>>
>> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your
>> device...
>>
>> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>>
>> -

December 4, 2004 6:13:31 PM

Sooner Al wrote:

> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>
> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
> Address in the authentication list.
>
> Check...
>
> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>
> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>
> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:26:00 PM

Repeating my answer from this morning....I would upgrade the ROM and the wireless drivers if it was
up to me...

--

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:41B2287B.22D2136D@uslink.net...
> Sooner Al,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP support document. Very informative.
>
> I reset the WEP key on my PPC and the Linksys router. Then I checked to see if SSID
> is being broadcast (it is). I have not enabled MAC Address Authentication at all.
>
> I also removed the battery and reinstalled it and did a soft reset. Plus, I released and
> renewed my router...and also reset the router. Plus, I tried changing the channels on
> the router. Nothing has made a difference.
>
> It connects just fine to my home network, but I can't access anything.
>
> On HP's support site, I see there is a Wireless LAN Driver Update that addresses roaming
> issues. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. My ROM is v. 1.0. I read on another
> newsgroup about problems when upgrading to this ROM version, so I'm leery of trying it
> and making the problems worse.
>
> I guess I can live without accessing my home network, but I sure hate to give up that option.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks again!
> Scott
>

> Sooner Al wrote:
>
>> The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
>> network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
>>
>> * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
>> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the
>> 4155.
>> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
>> Address in the authentication list.
>>
>> Check...
>>
>> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
>> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
>> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
>>
>> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
>> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
>>
>> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
>>
>> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...

December 5, 2004 4:49:58 PM

Tim,

I can't recall exactly what, but I will do some research to find the
newsgroup I saw the ROM update comments on, and I will post
those messages here. But, obviously, if your 4155 is working
fine, any posible issues don't apply to your installation.

Scott

Tim Nicholson wrote:

> [...]
> >> access point.
> >> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually
> >> configured that on the 4155.
> >> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not
> >> configure the 4155 MAC
> >> Address in the authentication list.
> >>
> >> Check...
> >>
> >> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually
> >> configure that on the 4155.
> >> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access
> >> point.
> >> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
> >>
> >> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10
> >> seconds, then reinstalling
> >> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
> >>
> >> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your

December 5, 2004 4:50:53 PM

Klaus,

Good suggestions. I did try changing to two different channels, and
it didn't make any difference.

Scott

Klaus Gerber wrote:

> Try a different channel. Many default to the same channel and say your
> neighbor might have the same channel or some one passing by. Don't
> forget often times many companies use mobile internet, like sears
> repair vans.

> http://www.virtualtuner.com
>
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:<41B0FD80.C5ECE674@uslink.net>...
> > Sooner Al,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP document you suggested. It's very good.
> >
> > Next, I reset the WEP key on the PPC and router and then checked to make sure the
> > SSID is being broadcast (it is). I do not have MAC Address Authentication turned on.
> > I also tried removing and reinstalling the battery, releasing and renewing the router
> > connection, and resetting the router. Nothing changed.
> >
> > I'm still getting that strange IP address: 169.254.188.158.
> >
> > What's odd is that the PPC has no problem connecting to my Linksys router. It's just not
> > seeing the 192.168.1.... address.
> >
> > I see at www.hp.com, they do offer a Wireless LAN Driver Update, which addresses some
> > roaming questions. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. and my unit has v1.00. I
> > read on a newsgroup somewhere about problems when upgrading to this ROM version, so
> > I'm leery of making the situation worse.
> >
> > I've had the h4155 iPaq for three months and have had no problem connecting to my home
> > network, until now. I guess I can live without the home connection feature as long as it
> > works with other networks, but I miss that option.
> >
> > I'm puzzled. Any more ideas?
> >
> > Thanks again!
> > Scott
> >
> > Sooner Al wrote:
> >
> > > The 169.X.X.X address simply means your not picking up a valid IP from a DHCP server on your
> > > network, ie. the Linksys router. Some possible causes are...
> > >
> > > * The WEP/WPA key on the 4155 does not match the WEP/WPA key on the access point.
> > > * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually configured that on the 4155.
> > > * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not configure the 4155 MAC
> > > Address in the authentication list.
> > >
> > > Check...
> > >
> > > 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually configure that on the 4155.
> > > 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access point.
> > > 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
> > >
> > > You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10 seconds, then reinstalling
> > > the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
> > >
> > > See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your device...
> > >
> > > http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
> > >
> > > -
December 5, 2004 4:53:43 PM

Tim,

Since you have the 4155 also, perhaps I can ask you. When I set up
an alarm to remind me of an appointment, I can change the alarm sound,
but it only chimes onece. My iPaq 3670 would keep sounding the alarm
over and over--like a nagging wife, which I found helpful (the alarm, not
the wife). Any way to do this on the 4155?

Thanks!
Scott

Tim Nicholson wrote:

> [...]
> >> access point.
> >> * Your not broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys and have not manually
> >> configured that on the 4155.
> >> * Your using MAC Address Authentication on the access point and have not
> >> configure the 4155 MAC
> >> Address in the authentication list.
> >>
> >> Check...
> >>
> >> 1. Make sure your broadcasting the SSID from the Linksys or manually
> >> configure that on the 4155.
> >> 2. Make sure the WEP/WPA key matches on both the 4155 and the access
> >> point.
> >> 3. Add the 4155 MAC Address to the access point authentication list.
> >>
> >> You also might try powering off the 4155, removing the battery or 5-10
> >> seconds, then reinstalling
> >> the battery. This should reset the wireless radio.
> >>
> >> See this HP document for basic help using 802.11b wireless on your

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:54:41 AM

I'm struggling with alarms too. They don't alarm me of anything. They are
WAY too quite and unobtrusive. Like a little quite ding-dong sound. We can
load any WAV file we want and use that for an alarm, so that's the way to
go. Use Windows Recorder to crank up the volume on your favorite obnoxious
sound. So far I've only bothered copy one sound, a lion roar, but I plan to
add a bunch more. I'd like a nice professional sounding alarm, just with
higher volume. Maybe I'll take the default ones and crank up the volume on
the PC and see if that works.

As for repeating, it does appear to repeat several times. I'm running the HP
1.10 upgrade, though. Maybe that fixed the repeating alarm issue? I can't be
100% sure b/c it just so happens I installed Spb Pocket Plus today and it
allows you to override individual alarm settings to play different sounds,
repeat as many times as you want, play them at max volume, etc. I turned off
all the Spb functions just now and tested the repeating alarms again with
the built-in WM2003 stuff, though, and they worked.

--

> Tim,
>
> Since you have the 4155 also, perhaps I can ask you. When I set up
> an alarm to remind me of an appointment, I can change the alarm sound,
> but it only chimes onece. My iPaq 3670 would keep sounding the alarm
> over and over--like a nagging wife, which I found helpful (the alarm, not
> the wife). Any way to do this on the 4155?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
>
> Tim Nicholson wrote:
>
>> Yikes. I upgraded the ROM to 1.10 as soon as I got the 4155. I installed
>> the
>> Wi-Fi update too. What problems are there with this ROM update?
>>
>> --
>> Tim Nicholson
>> tim@pdainfosource.com
>> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> > Sooner Al,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the suggestions. I read the HP document you suggested.
>> > It's
>> > very good.
>> >
>> > Next, I reset the WEP key on the PPC and router and then checked to
>> > make
>> > sure the
>> > SSID is being broadcast (it is). I do not have MAC Address
>> > Authentication
>> > turned on.
>> > I also tried removing and reinstalling the battery, releasing and
>> > renewing the router
>> > connection, and resetting the router. Nothing changed.
>> >
>> > I'm still getting that strange IP address: 169.254.188.158.
>> >
>> > What's odd is that the PPC has no problem connecting to my Linksys
>> > router.
>> > It's just not
>> > seeing the 192.168.1.... address.
>> >
>> > I see at www.hp.com, they do offer a Wireless LAN Driver Update, which
>> > addresses some
>> > roaming questions. However, it requires ROM Version 1.10.xx. and my
>> > unit
>> > has v1.00. I
>> > read on a newsgroup somewhere about problems when upgrading to this ROM
>> > version, so
>> > I'm leery of making the situation worse.
>> >
>> > I've had the h4155 iPaq for three months and have had no problem
>> > connecting to my home
>> > network, until now. I guess I can live without the home connection
>> > feature as long as it
>> > works with other networks, but I miss that option.
>> >
>> > I'm puzzled. Any more ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks again!
>> > Scott

December 6, 2004 11:11:53 PM

Tim,

Okay, I'll try your suggestions. I should be able to find a
loooooonnnnng sound somewhere. Also, maybe I'll upgrade
to ROM v1.10, as well. Sounds like it's worth it.

Scott

Tim Nicholson wrote:

> I'm struggling with alarms too. They don't alarm me of anything. They are
> WAY too quite and unobtrusive. Like a little quite ding-dong sound. We can
> load any WAV file we want and use that for an alarm, so that's the way to
> go. Use Windows Recorder to crank up the volume on your favorite obnoxious
> sound. So far I've only bothered copy one sound, a lion roar, but I plan to
> add a bunch more. I'd like a nice professional sounding alarm, just with
> higher volume. Maybe I'll take the default ones and crank up the volume on
> the PC and see if that works.
>
> As for repeating, it does appear to repeat several times. I'm running the HP
> 1.10 upgrade, though. Maybe that fixed the repeating alarm issue? I can't be
> 100% sure b/c it just so happens I installed Spb Pocket Plus today and it
> allows you to override individual alarm settings to play different sounds,
> repeat as many times as you want, play them at max volume, etc. I turned off
> all the Spb functions just now and tested the repeating alarms again with
> the built-in WM2003 stuff, though, and they worked.
>
> --
> Tim Nicholson
> tim@pdainfosource.com
> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > Tim,
> >
> > Since you have the 4155 also, perhaps I can ask you. When I set up
> > an alarm to remind me of an appointment, I can change the alarm sound,
> > but it only chimes onece. My iPaq 3670 would keep sounding the alarm
> > over and over--like a nagging wife, which I found helpful (the alarm, not
> > the wife). Any way to do this on the 4155?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
> >
> > Tim Nicholson wrote:
> >
> >> Yikes. I upgraded the ROM to 1.10 as soon as I got the 4155. I installed
> >> the
> >> Wi-Fi update too. What problems are there with this ROM update?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tim Nicholson
> >> tim@pdainfosource.com
> >> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
> >>
> >> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message

December 7, 2004 3:54:35 AM

Update:
from a
behold, it
my email isn't
I had that
normally,
Thanks to all
network (Linksys
takes longer
or
When
It
to my
I reset
network settings are
the built-in Ipaq Backup
Might it help
Otherwise,
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 8:02:24 AM

Scott, I just realized something else that could be the reason I don't have
problems with alarms (other than volume and not likely the default ones)...
I almost forgot that PocketInformant has code to fix some alarm problems. So
now I don't know if its the ROM 1.10 or PI or even Spb Pocket Plus fixing
things behind the scenes.

I have no problems with ROM 1.10 and the Wi-Fi driver updates, so you may as
well load them. Let me know if it fixes the alarm problems.

--

> Tim,
>
> Okay, I'll try your suggestions. I should be able to find a
> loooooonnnnng sound somewhere. Also, maybe I'll upgrade
> to ROM v1.10, as well. Sounds like it's worth it.
>
> Scott
>
> Tim Nicholson wrote:
>
>> I'm struggling with alarms too. They don't alarm me of anything. They are
>> WAY too quite and unobtrusive. Like a little quite ding-dong sound. We
>> can
>> load any WAV file we want and use that for an alarm, so that's the way to
>> go. Use Windows Recorder to crank up the volume on your favorite
>> obnoxious
>> sound. So far I've only bothered copy one sound, a lion roar, but I plan
>> add a bunch more. I'd like a nice professional sounding alarm, just with
>> higher volume. Maybe I'll take the default ones and crank up the volume
>> on
>> the PC and see if that works.
>>
>> As for repeating, it does appear to repeat several times. I'm running the
>> HP
>> 1.10 upgrade, though. Maybe that fixed the repeating alarm issue? I can't
>> be
>> 100% sure b/c it just so happens I installed Spb Pocket Plus today and it
>> allows you to override individual alarm settings to play different
>> sounds,
>> repeat as many times as you want, play them at max volume, etc. I turned
>> off
>> all the Spb functions just now and tested the repeating alarms again with
>> the built-in WM2003 stuff, though, and they worked.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Nicholson
>> tim@pdainfosource.com
>> Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> > Tim,
>> >
>> > Since you have the 4155 also, perhaps I can ask you. When I set up
>> > an alarm to remind me of an appointment, I can change the alarm sound,
>> > but it only chimes onece. My iPaq 3670 would keep sounding the alarm
>> > over and over--like a nagging wife, which I found helpful (the alarm,
>> > not
>> > the wife). Any way to do this on the 4155?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Scott

December 8, 2004 4:32:40 PM

My email is now working again.  Hooray!!!
from a
behold, it
my email isn't
I had that