• air cooling (aftermarket)

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • phase change cooling

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
With the market moving towards lower power CPUs, passive coolers like the Scythe Ninja are going to come into their own.

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I plan to buy an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Now I just need to find a home for the Thermaltake S939 cooler I bought a while back. I got it in December for the purpose of taking measurements for a water block I was designing, and had no intentions of buying an Intel rig at the time. :roll:

I'm sure I'll find some kind of use for it...

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I've got my cooler. It's all about air again. I'm going with the Zalman CNPS9500. I like the weight and I like the reviews. It's too bad that the AM2 version looks alot better.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I plan to use the same cooler I have now, the Cooler Master Hyper L3 (RR-LCH-P9E1). This cooler is whisper quiet at idle or moderate CPU load on a Pentium D 830, which is as hot a CPUs as you can get. The Conroe running so much cooler should (hopefully) make it operate at the lower fan speed even during more CPU intensive tasks.

ANIA_fanboy

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I bought my Zalman with the intensions of cooling my Presscott space heater but as it turns out my PSU took out my motherboard (that was a REALLY bad weekend) so the upgrade to Conroe and its lower temps should do just fine for future OC endeavors!

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I was planning on using stock for my future E6600 but after reading some of these other people's ideas.. I might go with a scythe.. my only question is what is the difference between the Scythe Ninja and Scythe SCMN-1000?

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The Mine is designed to be used with a fan whereas the Ninja can be used with or without. The Mine is pretty quiet but you can't beat passive cooling for the ultimate silent PC.

Thermaltake Sonic Tower is another passive cooler.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I will probly go for a custom watercooling setup, most likely with the swiftech storm wb, dual 2x120mm fan DD or swiftech rad and a danger den D5 pump.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
For those of you planning Conroe based builds, how will you air cool it? I am thinking about the vapochill micro myself.

I would wait to see what everyone else was getting with what equipment (See if the investment is worth it over the stock cooler) I guess the stock cooler is working well enough for decent overclocks now for the luck people who have them :( maybe someday I will have one to play with :) lol *rubs his hands together*

nick_000000

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
8O That ninja is one big ass heatsink.

Watercooling all the way :D, some HDDs (raptors) make more noise than quiet 120mm fans anyway, so I would keep a silent fan over the heatsink no? Why don't you just use a fan controler to throttle the fans at the min speed, I can't even hear my akasa silent 120mm fans when they are at minimum on the fan controller.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
My hard drives only make noise when they are loading programs, but right now they are dead silent while I am writing this review. All I here is my PSU, 120mm fan and my CPU FAN.

That is my point exactly. I don't care how much noise my computer makes when I am playing games or listening to music because I have the volume cranked up. However, when I am trying to get some sleep in my room, I would like my computer to be silent, which in turn is why I think the silent fanless/ fan scythe heatsinks are great.

Finally, who cares about how big it is... its not like your living in your computer.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
My hard drives only make noise when they are loading programs, but right now they are dead silent while I am writing this review. All I here is my PSU, 120mm fan and my CPU FAN.

That is my point exactly. I don't care how much noise my computer makes when I am playing games or listening to music because I have the volume cranked up. However, when I am trying to get some sleep in my room, I would like my computer to be silent, which in turn is why I think the silent fanless/ fan scythe heatsinks are great.

Finally, who cares about how big it is... its not like your living in your computer.

scythe wont fit in some cases.(pun unintended)

anyways, as far as quiet goes 1 word. Zalman

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
(Repeat from my other post)

I didnt see anyone recommend the Thermalright SI-120?!?

I already have a Silverstone 120mm fam for it when I get my conroe!

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Zalmans are overhyped in my oppinion. A Wanna-be enthusiast brand.
Those premounted fans are a pain in the rear when you want put a vantec tornado on your heatsink. :lol:

Also, what do you do if that fan stops working?

My vote goes to scythe and thermalright for offering a heatsink where the user is given the freedom to chose what type of fan he/she wants.
Whether, it is fast and loud or slow and quiet.

blackstone

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Actually, Anandtech reports that, using the Tuniq Tower 120 cooler (it is massive!), the E6600 2.4 Ghz chip can be overclocked to 4Ghz! That cooler also allows you to use any fan you want. So I think that is the cooler I will use.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Did they give some temps of the cpu and a comparason between other coolers?!?

Just because its bigger doesnt mean its better...