The most essential skills in the game?

We all have different opinions, and I'd like to hear some different ones.

These are the skills I can absolutely not do without. In fact, if I started
a new character, I would be sure to spend some money early on to get a good
head start:

1. Alteration. One can never underestimate the importance of water walking
and levitation.
2. Sneak. It isn't used often, but it is a difficult skill to master.
Plus, it is the only way to accomplish certain objectives.
3. Restoration. I find it much easier to use a spell than to carry a pouch
full of potions.
4. Speachcraft. fairly easy to obtain, but it's going to cost money any
way one looks at it.
5. Acrobatics. A very easy skill to obtain, and very valuable as well.

Thoughts?

deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
9/11/1773
Letter to Josiah Quincy

There are some things in life that are more important than football, though
not many.

All material contained herein copyright 2003 Folka Dot Lit PMC.

bryan K wrote:

> We all have different opinions, and I'd like to hear some different ones.
>
> These are the skills I can absolutely not do without. In fact, if I started
> a new character, I would be sure to spend some money early on to get a good
> head start:
>
> 1. Alteration. One can never underestimate the importance of water walking
> and levitation.
> 2. Sneak. It isn't used often, but it is a difficult skill to master.
> Plus, it is the only way to accomplish certain objectives.
> 3. Restoration. I find it much easier to use a spell than to carry a pouch
> full of potions.
> 4. Speachcraft. fairly easy to obtain, but it's going to cost money any
> way one looks at it.
> 5. Acrobatics. A very easy skill to obtain, and very valuable as well.

I agree about Alteration, Sneak, Speechcraft. It's easier to take the
peaceful path if you have high speechcraft, and it's easier to incite a
fight, too.

I always like to be able to mark/recall reliably as soon as possible.
High Security skill is useful. I like to get my Enchant up as soon as I
can. I also depend a lot on Long Sword. It seems like the best swords
in the game are all long swords, starting with the iron sparksword you
take off of the dead fallen mage (outside Seyda Neen). I never get past
level one before I grab that sword!

Let's not forget Soultrap. I forget what skill that needs, but dang,
that's an important spell.

Personally the single most useful skill for me to date has been
Google

;-)

ABadeaux wrote:

> Personally the single most useful skill for me to date has been
> Google

Google is a good one, but not in Morrowind. :)

Making my current char I was torn between Alteration. Eventually ended
against it and took Alchemy yet again. I love to explore and so I had a
huge stash of most ingridients hidden away for those higher lvl's. When
I indeed had over 200 of all basic restore fatigue ingredients and some
other common ones I blasted away and shot my way up several levels. At
30 or so I made levitates, water walkings and water breathings from 100
ingredients. and after that healings from over 150 igredients. Now I'm a
few lvl's away from 50 and my potion stash wont run out anytime soon. I
have a pile of 20 of each of the kind of potions with me all the time
(weight 0.0-0.3) and lots more at a stash where I can refill. Also
constatly making new ones.

In my view Alchemy is a great way around Alteration and can be a nice
support on alot of other too. For instance I dont like having to switch
to casting healing spells in the middle of a fight but would rather just
quaff potions.

about making potions: I never make a single potion. Single potions fill
up too much of the inventory screen. Collect a pile of atleast 20 when
making potions I say.

-M

In <c9rk7k$j74$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi> Miika Turtiainen <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> writes:

>about making potions: I never make a single potion. Single potions fill
>up too much of the inventory screen. Collect a pile of atleast 20 when
>making potions I say.

The only problem is you usually level up alchemy half way through a run
of 20 and end up with 2 stacks.

--
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v

John Henders wrote:
> In <c9rk7k$j74$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi> Miika Turtiainen <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> writes:
>

>>about making potions: I never make a single potion. Single potions fill
>>up too much of the inventory screen. Collect a pile of atleast 20 when
>>making potions I say.
>

> The only problem is you usually level up alchemy half way through a run
> of 20 and end up with 2 stacks.

well I dont know... I usually have stacks of 15-20. They last nicely
through the time it takes for me to build up enough stuff to come back
to my manor. So no probs there.but it is a pain in the arse when you get
tons of small piles. It's just leveling hight enough to get enough right
at a time...

"Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote in message
> John Henders wrote:
> > In <c9rk7k$j74$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi> Miika Turtiainen
<miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> writes:

> >>about making potions: I never make a single potion. Single potions fill
> >>up too much of the inventory screen. Collect a pile of atleast 20 when
> >>making potions I say.
> >

> > The only problem is you usually level up alchemy half way through a run
> > of 20 and end up with 2 stacks.
> >

> well I dont know... I usually have stacks of 15-20. They last nicely
> through the time it takes for me to build up enough stuff to come back
> to my manor. So no probs there.but it is a pain in the arse when you get
> tons of small piles. It's just leveling hight enough to get enough right
> at a time...

Often, similar unstacked potions can be dragged on top of each other,
forcing them to stack themselves. This action can help to tidy up your
inventory, but yes, if you level up in the middle of a big batch, and the
new potions are 1 point better at something, then they'll be their own
separate stack.

The Potion Sorter mod seems as though it would be useful to just about
anyone.

AJ

Lets not forget about the wonderful skill of unarmored! What better way to
save money or time? If you don't have armor to buy you can spend your cash
on much better things..such as the wonderful amulet of recall (granted, it
only costs about 100 gold) or a new restore health enchantment for you
exquisite shirt. Has anyone found a real use for the conjuration line of
spells? Summoning pets that can't atack unless attacked seems kinda useless,
y'know? and the mobs never aggro your pet either, just you. And if you're an
unarmored caster like me, you need that extra tankage!

AJ wrote:
> Has anyone found a real use for the conjuration line of
> spells? Summoning pets that can't atack unless attacked seems kinda useless,
> y'know? and the mobs never aggro your pet either, just you. And if you're an
> unarmored caster like me, you need that extra tankage!

The "Summon [Monster]" spells are prety trivial to me, but I did
wonderfully with a "sneak/caster" character once when I took Marksman
and Short Blades as my weapon skills and Unarmored as my armor skill.
First thing I did was hop over to Balmora mage guild and buy myself a
Nound Longbow and Bound Dagger spells. Didnt need another weapon
until... ever. used them all the way to lvl 25 when my save got
corrupted and my other save was just too damn far away to do everything
over again.

The thing is even if the Bound Longbow only last 60 secs it still beats
the living shait out of anything you can get your hands on easily. I
believe it's got Marksman 1-50 or something on it as a Shiting shortbow
from Seyda Neen is 1-5 maybe? Combine that with Sneak and you get
critical hits every time you shoot someone... I'm talking 1 hit kills on
anything you like if you get to sneak them. well ok Golden Saints need 2
or 3 hits but they never get to where you are because each shot drops
them to the ground. :D Über-bow... Lovely.

-M

"AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Has anyone found a real use for the conjuration line of
> spells? Summoning pets that can't atack unless attacked seems kinda useless,
> y'know?

Once a creature is summoned, , attacking the enemy with a really weak
spell is all you need to do in order to get your creature to fight
them.

Alternatively, you could toss a cheap knife at them... or whatever.

> Has anyone found a real use for the conjuration line of spells?

Learn summon [fillinblank], build your conjuration up enough, and that,
plus appropriate Soultrap, soul gems, and aggressive action on your part
gets you a solid source of reliable, ~substantial~ income.

Sell enough of them loaded soulgems to the right vendors, and you can
easily afford all the fancy armor and lessons in other skills that you
wanted. I prefer conjuration to alchemy, when it comes to making easy
money.

ToolPackinMama wrote:

> I prefer conjuration to alchemy, when it comes to making easy
> money.

I'd hesitate to leave out either of these two. :) Which means I simply
must make a character next without them. and security. and marksman. and
enchant. hmmmm...

-M

Miika Turtiainen wrote:

> ToolPackinMama wrote:
>
> > I prefer conjuration to alchemy, when it comes to making easy
> > money.
>
> I'd hesitate to leave out either of these two. :) Which means I simply
> must make a character next without them.

Masochist. :)

ToolPackinMama wrote:

> Miika Turtiainen wrote:
>
>>ToolPackinMama wrote:
>>

>>>I prefer conjuration to alchemy, when it comes to making easy
>>>money.
>>
>>I'd hesitate to leave out either of these two. :) Which means I simply
>>must make a character next without them.
>

> Masochist. :)

I like playing the underdog :)

If you've ever stumbled on Diablo 2 and it's expansion you'd propably
repeat your estimate of me when I tell you my favourite character is an
all poison-skill Necromancer :D

-M

"AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Lets not forget about the wonderful skill of unarmored! What better way to
> save money or time? If you don't have armor to buy you can spend your cash
> on much better things..such as the wonderful amulet of recall (granted, it
> only costs about 100 gold) or a new restore health enchantment for you
> exquisite shirt. Has anyone found a real use for the conjuration line of
> spells? Summoning pets that can't atack unless attacked seems kinda
useless,
> y'know? and the mobs never aggro your pet either, just you. And if you're
an
> unarmored caster like me, you need that extra tankage!

I find conjuration to be a very useful school. One of my characters beat
Gaenor by summoning a lot of monsters. She stood back and never actually
hit him. Also if you are attacked by two or more enimies, a summoned
character can keep one busy while you fight the other one.

* "AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

| Has anyone found a real use for the conjuration line of spells?

Yes. I'm playing a mage-type character born under The Atronach birthsign,
which means I can't regenerate magicka while resting. Whenever my magicka
is running low, I cast Summon Ancestral Ghost, then punch him a couple of
times in his immaterial face. He then starts attacking me with spells,
and a few seconds later my magicka is fully restored. :)

Summoning tougher creatures is also helpful when fighting several tough
enemies at once, for example when you have to fight Gothren to become
Telvanni Hortator. He has two Dremora bodyguards, so I thought it only
fair to summon two Dremora bodyguards of my own.

--
Lars Haugseth

You got that right! Also: None of the sneak skills are that essential(IMO)
, because you can easily obtain master lockpicks and probes which help a
lot. Soultrap, levitation, waterbreathing, and camoflage are my picks.

Dennis Curtis wrote:

> You got that right! Also: None of the sneak skills are that essential(IMO)
> , because you can easily obtain master lockpicks and probes which help a
> lot. Soultrap, levitation, waterbreathing, and camoflage are my picks.

I like to enchant something with constant effect waterbreathing and
night-eye as soon as I can. I'm weird.

MERLIN

"AJ" <wanink@worldnet.att.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> Lets not forget about the wonderful skill of unarmored! What better way
> save money or time? If you don't have armor to buy you can spend your
cash
> on much better things..such as the wonderful amulet of recall (granted,
it
> only costs about 100 gold) or a new restore health enchantment for you
> exquisite shirt. Has anyone found a real use for the conjuration line of
> spells? Summoning pets that can't atack unless attacked seems kinda
useless,
> y'know? and the mobs never aggro your pet either, just you. And if
you're an
> unarmored caster like me, you need that extra tankage!

When summoning pets, circle the enemy, so that he
is between you and your pet. If you then attack the
enemy with a weapon or a spell, your pet will feel
it as an attack and charge, attacking the enemy
from behind. Sometimes this will make your
opponent deal with the pet first, giving you time
to choose the best spells.

merlin

"bryan K" <webmaster13nospam@cableone.net> wrote in message
> We all have different opinions, and I'd like to hear some different ones.
>
> These are the skills I can absolutely not do without. In fact, if I
started
> a new character, I would be sure to spend some money early on to get a
good
> head start:
>
> 1. Alteration. One can never underestimate the importance of water
walking
> and levitation.
> 2. Sneak. It isn't used often, but it is a difficult skill to master.
> Plus, it is the only way to accomplish certain objectives.
> 3. Restoration. I find it much easier to use a spell than to carry a
pouch
> full of potions.
> 4. Speachcraft. fairly easy to obtain, but it's going to cost money any
> way one looks at it.
> 5. Acrobatics. A very easy skill to obtain, and very valuable as well.
>
> Thoughts?

1) Mercantile
2) Athletics
3) Alchemy
4) Illusion
5) Mysticism (or alteration, hard to say)

1) The cheesiest skill in the game, once you know that the price they offer
isn't all they will except. My character currently has a mercantile of 23,
and a personality of 38, and can buy/sell ALL of a vendors money. This
allows you to get anything you want, become very rich, and get free training
(essentially. you just have to check barter first). I usually start off at
skill 5 selling at 65-70% item value and buying at 80%. By about 15 skill
that should be selling at 80% and buying at 75% or thereabouts. Did I
mention its good for getting huge stacks of expensive alchemy ingredients?
I remember making feather potions by the hundreds out of rubies...

2) I get so sick and tired of CRAWLING everywhere. You also can't climb
anything without this skill. Being able to outrun guards is a nice plus.
Just a great timesaver. Aim for 40 starting skill in this.

3) Mana, Money, and Magic. I once ran from Sadrith Mora to the port in
Dagon Fel in about 30 seconds thanks to 2 well-made fortify speed potions
(Kagouti Hide+Moonsugar). With easily stolen gear and decent skill feather
potions weigh about 0.01 and the same goes for levitation. I personally
like making combo potions with 2 or 3 effects, but its not necessary.

4) Sneak is miserable to raise without starting at a high level, and
personally, I'd rather just use chameleon to accomplish my dirty deeds
anyway. Sanctuary is a nice plus. Of course, if you don't want to enchant
constant effect 100% chameleon or santuary, I suppose you could just use
sneak... Sneak is for barbarians. Cultivated folk use Illusion.

5) Souldtrap, Absorb Health, Mark and Recall are all quite handy. I like to
use a large radius Absorb health spell on those little Daedra wheenies
running around in the ruins. Alteration lets you open locks when you are
out of scrolls and can't pick it, and lets you improvise when you run out of
potions (potions are ALWAYS better than alteration, as they are instant,
dont require a switch to casting mode, and dont drain you mana pool.)

Of course this list dosn't mention marksmentship, security, shortblade,
lightarmor, and destruction - my _other_ favorite skills.

Nathaniel Acord wrote:

> Sneak is for barbarians. Cultivated folk use Illusion.

LOL nice distinction. ;)

"bryan K" <webmaster13nospam@cableone.net> wrote in message news:<gG9wc.5953393$iA2.686716@news.easynews.com>...
> We all have different opinions, and I'd like to hear some different ones.
>
> These are the skills I can absolutely not do without. In fact, if I started
> a new character, I would be sure to spend some money early on to get a good
> head start:
>
> 1. Alteration. One can never underestimate the importance of water walking
> and levitation.
> 2. Sneak. It isn't used often, but it is a difficult skill to master.
> Plus, it is the only way to accomplish certain objectives.
> 3. Restoration. I find it much easier to use a spell than to carry a pouch
> full of potions.
> 4. Speachcraft. fairly easy to obtain, but it's going to cost money any
> way one looks at it.
> 5. Acrobatics. A very easy skill to obtain, and very valuable as well.
>
> Thoughts?

The ones I always use a lot are
1. Speechcraft (always a major skill)
2. Merchant (always misc; it grows fast anyway)
3. Alchemy (usually miscellanous, but major for mages)
4. Some weapon (have had success with all, and don't have a preference)
5. Light armor (misc, as it goes up to fast)
6 Mysticism (or is it alternation....the one for fast transport)

Heya! -- Marry me!