group policy object

Hi,

I have a win 2000 pdc that stores a local copys of the group policy
objects. I want to retire this server by demoting it to a member server
but before doing this I want to know if the GPOs will be moved to
another server when it is demoted.
8 answers Last reply
More about group policy object

    Hi Herb,

    Thanks for the clarification. Everytime I try to edit the group policy
    from another DC, it points back to GPO on the PDC. I've looked into the
    logs for FRS on the PDC, and found the following error. How do I
    resolve this issue? Thanks.

    Event id 13568
    The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN
    SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

    Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"
    Replica root path is : "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain"
    Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:"
    A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying
    to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because
    of one of the following reasons.

    [1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted.
    [2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted.
    [3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk
    can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the
    journal.
    [4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a
    long time.
    [5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk
    IO activity on "\\.\C:".
    Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter
    to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to
    automatically recover from this error state.
    [1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer
    will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5
    minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to
    restart the File Replication Service.
    [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added
    to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for
    the replica set.

    WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be
    unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter described above to
    0 to prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly
    unavailable if this error condition occurs again.

    To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

    Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

    Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click down the key path:
    "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"
    Double click on the value name
    "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
    and update the value.

    If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD
    Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as
    shown above.

    "Bigpotato" <bigpotatousa@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a win 2000 pdc that stores a local copys of the group policy
    > objects. I want to retire this server by demoting it to a member server
    > but before doing this I want to know if the GPOs will be moved to
    > another server when it is demoted.

    They already are duplicated to ever DC in the domain
    IF replication (FRS for files) is working.

    GPO files are physically store in SysVol which is
    replicated normally to all DCs.

    Try DCDiag on each DC to make sure replication is
    working -- check the logs for FRS or AD errors.

    Personally I like to transfer the roles manually, but
    if you DCPromo it, then IT SHOULD try to transfer
    them for you.

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herr Spud,

    I would suggest that you 'enter' a second Domain Controller to your
    environment before you do anything ( assuming that you have a single DC in
    your environment...which does not seem to be the case, but.... ). GPO are
    stored in two different places: one half is stored in Active Directory ( in
    the Domain Naming Context ) - the GPC, or Group Policy Container - and one
    half is stored in the SYSVOL - the GPT, or Group Policy Template. If you
    have multiple Domain Controllers already then I would suggest that you
    transfer the roles over to the second Domain Controller. You see, by
    default when you create a Group Policy Object the Domain Controller that
    holds the FSMO Role of PDC Emulator is the one on which the object is
    actually created. Again, this behavior can be changed....

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Bigpotato" <bigpotatousa@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a win 2000 pdc that stores a local copys of the group policy
    > objects. I want to retire this server by demoting it to a member server
    > but before doing this I want to know if the GPOs will be moved to
    > another server when it is demoted.

    Hi Cary,

[...]

    Understood. So to refer back to my original question, do I need to
    move the GPO from this PDC emulator (win 2000 adv server) before I
    could demote it to a member server?

    > Hi Cary,
    >
    > Thanks for the clarification. Everytime I try to edit the group policy
    > from another DC, it points back to GPO on the PDC. I've looked into the

    Ah, that is another issue and I actually considered telling you
    that.

    This is the default BECAUSE....

    GPOs are technically multimastered but they are NOT resolved
    on a per property basis.

    Two admins working on the same GPO (on different DCs) could
    (can actually if they insist) make changes and one of them will lose
    those changes -- the one who saves FIRST.

    So, MS made the GPOs act semi-Single-Mastered by default by
    encouraging you (defaulting) to the PDC Emulator which usually
    avoids the multi-mastered problem.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Excellent. Thank you.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Understood. So to refer back to my original question, do I need to
    > move the GPO from this PDC emulator (win 2000 adv server) before I
    > could demote it to a member server?

    And your original answer <GRIN>, No, not as long as
    it is replicated.

    It likely is, but you seem to have indicated some problems
    with replication.

    The GPOs should be on every DC.

    When you remove the current PDC Emulator the role (should)
    transfer to another DC (or you must transfer it) and then it
    will be the preferred master of the GPOs.

    --
    Herb Martin

Policy Servers Active Directory Windows