lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Ive been experiencing what I can only describe as my entire system locking up, both in linux and windows. It runs for many hours before it locks up. I have noticed that the screen sometimes looks like a ROM-check screen like those video arcade games from the 80's. So maybe this is my vga, but I really dont know how to test that. I have an MSI K8N Nforce4 SLI Platinum mobo and an MSI PCI-E video card. I am beginning to think that the problem is between those 2 components somehow.

I ran memtest on my 2 RAM modules ON my MSI mobo and errors were reported on both modules (each tested individually of course). Then I tested the RAM on a different computer, and NO ERRORS were found. So, of course, I am starting to think something is going on with my MSI board.

Also, my power supply gave out and has been RMA'd. I have a brand new power supply now, but the problem still persists.

so RAM and PSU can be ruled out...hopefully...hmm, I should probably just reseat everything and check my cable connections...I never assume that stuff, but I should.

My Questions are:

Is there anyway to test my video card?

Would anyone mind looking at my Ubuntu Linux logs from the time this error occured?

What steps should I take to narrow down this problem?

hairyhaggis

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
One way to check if it s your video card is to test it in an other computer. I am going to agree that it is a hardware issue as it occurs on two differenet o/s. What are your system temps, if the lock up only happen after you have been useing the machine for a while it could be due to a build up of hot air in your case.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
yeah, the temperature thing sounds right...now that you mention it...my room gets hot with the computer on. i dont have another pci-e mobo to test it on unfortunately. is there any temp monitoring software available for video cards? im just sort of thinking out loud as to how i can justify an RMA with the manufacturer.

hairyhaggis

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Not sure about temp monitoring for video cards, to do that you may have to buy a fan controller with a digitial temp display.

Most mobos however will have some sort of temp monitoring system, normally one for the cpu and one located near the south bridge. If you go into the BIOS the temp readings are normally located in their.

Depending on your Mobo, their is software that you might be able to download from the manufactures website that will monitor the tempretures through windows.

Take the side panel and the top off the case, that will give you a tempory solution to your problem. However it is best to install a couple of fan's. Normally an intake fan at the bottom, sucking cold air in, this should be located at the bottom of the case in front of the hard drive racks. Then an other fan at top rear of the case jut under the PSU. This one should be blowing the hot air of the case. The more CFM's the fan can shift the better the cooling, however they will be more louder.

Hope this helps.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
you could use everest, if your vga have a temp sensor integrated, will show your temp ;) , (and NVIDA as temp sensors before 6xxx series) my ti 4200 as a temp sensor.