Can I trust newegg open box?

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I just bought a "Open Box" OEM version of the Sapphire X800 AGP GTO for my brother. I realize that the manual, cables, cd, etc will be missing, but apart from that, do you think that the actual card would function properly. Im supposed to get it on monday.

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hi Sugi,

Personally, I would trust it. I have never had a bad experience with Newegg, and I have bought many things from them. In general I will buy open box as long as it is a known brand and a known website, and you have both of them in this scenario. Besides, if it breaks just change your phone number and your brother will be stuck with it! :twisted:

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply. This morning I was googleing this open box issue, and I recieved mixed feelings from numerous forums, ranging from holes in the PCB to overclocking well beyond default. I guess I got a bit paranoid.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
If the card does not function properly Newegg will return it.

Within 15 days that is.

I have ordered two open box video cards from newegg (Low end ones), they work without any problem. Just purchase the card and run some tests on it and see if it works. some people will overclock their card till it dies and then return it to newegg

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
If the card does not function properly Newegg will return it.

Within 15 days that is.

I have ordered two open box video cards from newegg (Low end ones), they work without any problem. Just purchase the card and run some tests on it and see if it works. some people will overclock their card till it dies and then return it to newegg

scum bags. i hate those noobs. I mean they are just screwing up the market for everyone. the prices will go higher because of them. grr..

alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
well.. about the open box...
i usually buy openbox... and i had problems with them.

openbox... have these issues...
it may be a product that was opened by a customer;
it might've been return for defective;
here's big thing... if the former customer doesn't say it had a problem,
then newegg just ship them out without proper checking.

of course, they accept the product without any question
if you claim it as defective;
if that happens, they don't pay for the shipping back to them...
if u get that problem twice(super rarely);
well... shipping will cost more than buying a retail...
if they don't have same item in stock;
they give back your money, which means you will lose shipping for nothing.

just to remind you... oem is NOT ALWAYS cheap...
check for sales item.

oh.. another note...
after 15days... don't contact newegg.
just contact the manufacturer.
manufacturers give warranty for oem also.
actually they usually don't care whether it is oem or retail...

Feb 24, 2006
Greetings TomsHardware Forum Members and Newegg Patrons!

Newegg's here and ready to help. If any of you other guys/gals have an issue with an open box item, just PM us or feel free to utilize our chat feature. As you know, we're always here to help out. :)

P.S. -- Hey sugi123, we just sent you another PM. :D

Newegg's here and ready to help. If any of you other guys/gals have an issue with an open box item, just PM us or feel free to utilize our chat feature. As you know, we're always here to help out. :)

I have a load of stuff from Fry's I'd like to return. Can you take it?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

lmao, and wtf is newegg doing on the forum

lmao, and wtf is newegg doing on the forum

They're looking for the guy who won the weekly prize. Have you vere seen a newegg chick other than the operator in the picture? I'd drive over there, but they won't let whe I ask. Get a lot of $10 off for askin' though.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I've never had a problem with Newegg, the only thing I was ALMOST dissappointed with was when I ordered USB 5.1 surround sound head phones refurbished and it came in a few peices. After about 20 minutes I found out how to put it back together... was pretty simple but I was very happy with these headphones... it's a shame they're broken now... stupid room mates *grumble*

Some may not know, but Newegg has a 12 month return policy (warranty) on many of the products they sell online. Can't say enough about a company doing well and doing what it takes above and beyond to satisfy their customers. The customer is always right. Newegg is a great of example of how doing business with the general public should be done. (sits and waits for the one retarded guy to reply back that newegg sucks mahn.)

FYI you can go here and find information on retailers around the country before you buy from them. I recommend it. For the record, I found Tiger Direct has numerous law suits including losing a class action law suit for false advertising related activity. Newegg has a winning record. Having been in private business for the most of my adult life, I appreciate companys like newegg.

http://search.bbb.org/

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I just bought a "Open Box" OEM version of the Sapphire X800 AGP GTO for my brother. I realize that the manual, cables, cd, etc will be missing, but apart from that, do you think that the actual card would function properly. Im supposed to get it on monday.

It is the same deal/risk as walking into Fry's or BestBuy and buying on opened/returned product.

I have learned to NEVER buy crap that other people already had a problem with as each time I have ....I had to return it.

Open and already sold is the same as USED and at best should be 1/2 price even if the saler has to take less than thier cost.
Opened/used returns are NOT factory refurbished,checked,repacked and factory re-warrented.

Fry's as of late has not been repacking things and putting those "returned/disscount" stickers on them...but sending them back to the jobber marked as defective for stock replacement.

A factory "refurb" has been tested and missing parts included and comes with warrenty,often with up to a 40% discount.

You will learn your own lessons though...the hard way.

Z

bobjones2

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
hear hear. I just got an open box mobo from newegg... i'm such a putz... my mobo has broken pins... the lack of accessories in the box...

if you read the fine print at Newegg, it specifially says that the buyer must insure....

I agree that the open box is a risky venture. I wouldn't do it unless its a screamin deal you just can't pass up. If something sounds too good to be true....

But I see you've already made the purchase. These guys are right, new egg's policies on returns and their great customer service make them the top choice.

I just ordered a Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU cooler from Xoxide because it was 45 bucks, cheaper than I could find it anywhere else. www.xoxide.com.
Greed got the best of me. I regretted the decision almost immediately. As I went to place the order ("place order now" button), the web site hung up on me and wouldn't advance to the confirmation page. I was using firefox at the time so I assumed it was an incompatabilty issue. I reopened the web site with trusty Internet explorer, (sigh-more compatible anyway) and was dismayed that there is no way to see current order information on the web site. But I had no reason to believe my order went through, it hung up as soon as I hit the button.
Long story short I ordered an extra 120 cooler, then couldn't change my order online. I called the phone number at 5pm mountain time but nobody home. Left a message to cancel one order. My card got charged for 2 coolers this morning. AAARRRGGH! nothing to do now but wait til it shows up and see if they will take it back. Not bloody likely.

MOral of the story? Go ahead and pay extra for new egg products.
Anyone else have experiences with Xoxide?

jab1000

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I used to buy from NewEgg and would buy open box -- after my last experience I will NOT buy from them again. What pisses me off is their 15 day return policy for a DOA open box item. FYI, this 15 days starts NOT when you got it but when you purchased it -- so if they take 5 days to get it to you, you now have 10 days to return it.

No less when went about 5 days ago to get my RMA for their DOA product their login area was down and down most the day -- now after coming back in from out of town I am now past my 15 days. I guess I just flushed $70+

Hard part is I have spent about $3k at new egg over the course of the last year or so -- I have a hard time using them anymore!

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I'm sure if you call them and explain the problem they can work something out, their customer support is very helpful. Years ago when I started buying online I bought from many different places and have found that Newegg is the best and for the last few years I won't buy anywhere else.

I would never buy a open box item though because there are a lot of idiots out there that will screw something up and then return it because they can. I would rather pay a few extra dollars and have the piece of mind of the full return policy and a new factory sealed item.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Why be worried about newegg open box? By the time the stuff arrives at your door the box look it has fallen down the side of a cliff. I have never had any problems with stuff I've ordered though - so I'll continue buying stuff from them. :D

HA! I knew you guys read the boards. There was times where we would be discussing how one PSU was cheaper than the other... then there was magically a rebate on the PSU in question to make it cheaper... Probably just a coincidence, but I can always wonder. :p

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Newegg is the absolutely best company I have ever dealt with. When my P5N-32 Deluxe Se NF4 SLI LGA 775 board died, I sent it in through the post office and it took a month to get there. I told them the situation on the 11th day of the RMA and they extended the RMA period to when it was going to get there. After they recieved it, they replaced it with an EVGA 680i SLI Rev.A1 motherboard. Best RMA experience I have ever had.

Also, I bought a cheap-o $20 dollar case from the, but it was damaged in shipping. So they let me keep the case and refunded my money back.

I seriously will never buy a product anywhere else if it's available on Newegg.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Personally, I would not buy Open Box unless it was a massive savings.
Too much of a chance of it just being flakey which is not easily found.

Personally, I trust NewEgg and they would not intentionally give you a bum item, but I would definitely want to make sure the was plenty of reward in big saved money vs the risk.

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
You just gotta love a company that follows the forums ... I've always had a good experience at the 'egg.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I almost exclusively buy from newegg now. I've almost given up even looking at other sites, it's rarely cheaper and I'm willing to pay an extra few dollars for the convenience and piece of mind that newegg gives me. I just bought an open box MB from newegg and had some trouble getting it working. Was about to send it back, curse newegg for not testing it, and buy a different board, and then I figured out what the problem was. Running fine now, no issues. Remember, most RMA issues can also be handled by the manufacturer. I had an older 9800 pro I got from ebay for my cousin. Someone had tried to flash a 9800 xt bios to it and ruined it. The seller told me to sod off so i called ATI and they RMAed me a new one, no questions asked.