why can't "my computer"recognize my cd/dvd drives?

shockwave1831

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I tried to install raid on my computer,i messed it up.I did a windows xp "repair" now everything works fine(raid not on yet) but it doesn't show any cd/dvd drives in "my computer" and I get no play using them.
My motherboard show they exist during boot up but not
"xp" Thanks!!!

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
PLEASE always include your full system specs

you may just need to reinstall windows but this is something to check just in case. disconnect you extra hd and one of your optical drives from the p.s. reboot and see if windows see's the optical drive.

edit: sorry just woke up and missed the specs in your sig :oops:

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
you could also boot to safe mode and remove the drives from device manager reboot and see if they are found again. also reseat connections on drives and mb.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
you could also boot to safe mode and remove the drives from device manager reboot and see if they are found again. also reseat connections on drives and mb.

If the drives don't show up in Device Manager at all, try the method detailed here. Works for 2k and XP. Had to do this from time to time, especially trying to recover friend's machines that, for some reason or another, tried a recovery install.

That being said, in my opinion it'd be best at this point to backup all important data and do a fresh install to make sure that all is well. It's up to you, of course, just my opinion.