Epson heads seriously clogged

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 27, 2005 1:30:48 PM

I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
what I can do ?

More about : epson heads clogged

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:03:33 PM

LiWen wrote:

> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
> clogged.

I suppose that by now, you know that this is what you should expect to
happen if you leave an inkjet unused for a year.... it dries out.

There are also numerous postings over the years about use of Windex
(ammonia D -- only) and other cleaning agents to dissolve the dried up
ink clogs.

I have unclogged a couple of Epson printheads by following the often
repeated instructions involving Windex. And, allowing the cleaning
solution to work overnight.... because it took a long time to make the
clog, it probably takes a while to unmake it.

I suppose that you might now have learned the key differences between
"permanent" print heads (Epson) and "disposable print heads" such as HP
and Lexmark.

Follow the oft repeated instructions, and you should be all right.

Look for postings by Arthur Entlich (artistic@telus.net) who will email
you a free manual on how to unclog and take care of Epson printers.

If you plan to leae an inkjet unused for a year, be sure to buy one
which has "Disposable Print Head" technology such as HP or Lexmark.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:36:42 PM

I really do not know. I just prefer Canon Pixma Printers. However, in
your case, it may be wise to investigate the models of HP printers that
have a print head built into the cartridge. If you had one of these
models all you would have to do is trot down to your favorite store and
purchase a set of new cartridges. They might even take back the
existing ones and give you those for free. Some stores, like Costco,
are very customer oriented.

LiWen wrote:

>I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
>cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
>year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
>clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
>since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
>after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
>gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
>what I can do ?

Related resources
April 27, 2005 4:52:33 PM

There are a number of thing you can do when the Epson software fails. There
are a number of cleaning carts out there which should do the trick, if you
use one get hold of a Purge file for your printer, again there are many
around. You can while waiting for the cleaning cart clean the underside of
the heads by using Windolean (Clear) sprayed on a piece of kitchen towel and
with the printer switched off lay the 10cm x 1.5cm soaked no the track in
front of the heads and with care move the print head over the paper and
leave over night. This should clean the underside of the head. While the
head in this position do the same with the head rest or drip pad. Hope this
helps.

"LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
> clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
> since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
> after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
> gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
> what I can do ?

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:14:27 PM

"LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
> clogged.

If shooters suggestion doesn't fix it this is a more drastic approach....

http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/#ClogCleanning
April 27, 2005 9:07:59 PM

Shooter's advice is good. For a more comprehensive description of Epson
head cleaning email Arthur Entlich and ask him to email you his instructions
on this subject. His email address is artistic@telus.net . His
instructions helped me to restore my Epson printer to as-new function.
Shooter's info is similar but more condensed - best to read Entlich's stuff
before you proceed.

"Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 4o1uh$52o$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> There are a number of thing you can do when the Epson software fails.
> There
> are a number of cleaning carts out there which should do the trick, if you
> use one get hold of a Purge file for your printer, again there are many
> around. You can while waiting for the cleaning cart clean the underside of
> the heads by using Windolean (Clear) sprayed on a piece of kitchen towel
> and
> with the printer switched off lay the 10cm x 1.5cm soaked no the track in
> front of the heads and with care move the print head over the paper and
> leave over night. This should clean the underside of the head. While the
> head in this position do the same with the head rest or drip pad. Hope
> this
> helps.
>

> "LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
>> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
>> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
>> clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
>> since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
>> after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
>> gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
>> what I can do ?

April 27, 2005 9:13:49 PM

This more drastic approach comes with the danger that you might damage one
or more of the ink feed tubes to which you attach the tubing. At that point
you have converted a potentially recoverable printer into a doorstop. Try
Arthur Entlich's instructions first. Tried and true.

news:D TObe.75217$hN4.4731993@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

> "LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
>> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
>> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
>> clogged.
>
> If shooters suggestion doesn't fix it this is a more drastic approach....
>
> http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/#ClogCleanning

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:32:33 AM

Thanks, guys ! Really appreciate your responses. I've now emailed
Arthur for the manual. Yeah, I haven't been much of a tech to my
printer aside from changing its cartidges; unlike photocopiers and
other printers, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of movable parts
to this thing, the printheadcartridge snucks itself to its hidey hole
and that's it ! But now I do appreciate the difference between
disposable and permanent print heads and know not to leave it unused
for any period of time ! thanks again. :)
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:44:17 PM

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Shooter's advice is good. For a more comprehensive description of Epson
> head cleaning email Arthur Entlich and ask him to email you his
> instructions on this subject. His email address is artistic@telus.net .
> His instructions helped me to restore my Epson printer to as-new function.
> Shooter's info is similar but more condensed - best to read Entlich's
> stuff before you proceed.

Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does everyone get
sworn to secrecy that receives the document or something? I'm sure many
would volunteer to host the information on a website.
April 28, 2005 1:44:18 PM

Arthur Entlich would have to answer this question. I don't think he regards
it as a secret. It is a fairly long document that would not be practical to
post on a NG such as this. He very generously offers to send it to anyone
who wants it. He also invites people who post a problem to send a scan of
an Epson print if the problem they describe doesn't appear to be a simple
head clog. If I still had the file he sent me I would (with his permission)
send it along. Unfortunately there are some people who would inadvertantly
repeat his instructions in an incomplete way that would not get the desired
result. I also believe that there should be attribution for a technique or
bit of advice. Instead of appearing authoritative in suggesting a printer
or ink I prefer to direct the person asking advice to the source of the
information that I might otherwise have quoted (or misquoted) without having
used them myself. I only feel comfortable advising someone about my own
personal experience with a printer, third party ink, etc. In my estimation,
Arthur is the best source of information on this NG for things Epson, so it
is best to get the info from him. He really tries to be totally objective
when asked about various printer issues and gives enough information to help
people make up their own minds when asked, for instance, which printer to
buy. Much to his credit, he spends an inordinate amount of time answering
posts, emails, and helping people to solve printer problems and expects
nothing in return.

The question you should really be asking is why Epson and the other printer
mfgrs don't have this information available for their customers. So many
times, the problems I have had with hardware, windows, software
installation, or software functions have been solved, not with information
from the mfgr or vendor, but from people such as Arthur who share their
knowledge on newsgroups and forums. I have learned a great deal from this
NG and hope that I and others can help a few people in return.

Caitlin wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>

>>Shooter's advice is good. For a more comprehensive description of Epson
>>head cleaning email Arthur Entlich and ask him to email you his
>>instructions on this subject. His email address is artistic@telus.net .
>>His instructions helped me to restore my Epson printer to as-new function.
>>Shooter's info is similar but more condensed - best to read Entlich's
>>stuff before you proceed.
>>

>Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does everyone get
>sworn to secrecy that receives the document or something? I'm sure many
>would volunteer to host the information on a website.

I have that same curiosity.

April 28, 2005 2:21:44 PM

I also believe that Epson should be more forth coming with service
information, they are in my view pathetic, if you visit any of their sites
there is no mention of out of warranty service or where to go. I have had
many discussions with their very weak Customer Service in fact one adviser
told me to run Gray balancer to solve Bronzing, in my early days with a 2100
they told be to clean as many time as required to clear the nozzles, we all
know what can happen if you do to many cleans.

> [...]
>
> "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> >> Shooter's advice is good. For a more comprehensive description of
Epson
> >> head cleaning email Arthur Entlich and ask him to email you his
> >> instructions on this subject. His email address is artistic@telus.net
..
> >> His instructions helped me to restore my Epson printer to as-new
> >> function. Shooter's info is similar but more condensed - best to read
> >> Entlich's stuff before you proceed.
> >>

> > Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does everyone
> > get sworn to secrecy that receives the document or something? I'm sure
> > many would volunteer to host the information on a website.

April 28, 2005 3:48:05 PM

If you have not already done so, email me privately at the address shown
on the header of this message and request the Epson Cleaning Manual. If
you mention the specifics in your request I can give you some additional
pointers regarding a printer that has been left unused for a very long
period.

The incorrect colors showing up are likely due to the amount of excess
ink in the cleaning station from all those cleaning cycles causing
contamination. Do not continue running cleaning cycles.

There is no charge for the manual, and you will not be spammed. Please
be certain to supply an address that will accept a 60+kb message.

Art

LiWen wrote:

> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
> clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
> since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
> after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
> gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
> what I can do ?

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:51:06 PM

That's brilliant and helpful information.

"My car wouldn't start this morning"

"Oh, you should buy a new one of another brand".

Jeez.

Art

measekite wrote:

> I really do not know. I just prefer Canon Pixma Printers. However, in
> your case, it may be wise to investigate the models of HP printers that
> have a print head built into the cartridge. If you had one of these
> models all you would have to do is trot down to your favorite store and
> purchase a set of new cartridges. They might even take back the
> existing ones and give you those for free. Some stores, like Costco,
> are very customer oriented.
>
> LiWen wrote:
>
>> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
>> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
>> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
>> clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
>> since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
>> after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
>> gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
>> what I can do ?

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:22:00 PM

Curiosity killed the Cat ;-)...

Because I spend several hours a day answering personally to the
requests, since there are many different printers in use, different inks
being used, and different issues that come up and the manual would need
to be hundreds of pages long to deal with all of them. In some cases
several emails go back and forth as people have additional questions
that come up.

Further, the manual is updated every few weeks as I am regularly adding
information based upon user response, and other information that comes
up, so in order to get the most current version to people, I do not
allow for the manual to be published or posted elsewhere.

Lastly, it's mine. I wrote it, I update it, I service it, and I
developed many of the methods from my own experience working with the
printers and it is how I wish to distribute it.

Considering people who contact me get this service for free, get
personalized service, never get spammed, I really don't see how anyone
can complain about it (well, theirs always someone looking for WMD and
terrorists under their bed, I suppose).

If you prefer, you can order a much less complete manual, which is
mainly full of web links to some questionable advice via ebay by a guy
who charges about $7 US for it. He might have a web site ;-)

Art

Caitlin wrote:

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Shooter's advice is good. For a more comprehensive description of Epson
>>head cleaning email Arthur Entlich and ask him to email you his
>>instructions on this subject. His email address is artistic@telus.net .
>>His instructions helped me to restore my Epson printer to as-new function.
>>Shooter's info is similar but more condensed - best to read Entlich's
>>stuff before you proceed.
>>

> Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does everyone get
> sworn to secrecy that receives the document or something? I'm sure many
> would volunteer to host the information on a website.

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:35:01 PM

No, you have suspicion, which is quite different.

Tell you what, ask the many thousands of people I help each year.

Unlike most of your less than useless postings, I actually contribute to
the printer community on a daily basis.

Something you probably couldn't understand.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Caitlin wrote:
>
>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>

>>> Shooter's advice is good. For a more comprehensive description of
>>> Epson head cleaning email Arthur Entlich and ask him to email you his
>>> instructions on this subject. His email address is
>>> artistic@telus.net . His instructions helped me to restore my Epson
>>> printer to as-new function. Shooter's info is similar but more
>>> condensed - best to read Entlich's stuff before you proceed.
>>>

>> Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does
>> everyone get sworn to secrecy that receives the document or something?
>> I'm sure many would volunteer to host the information on a website.
>>

> I have that same curiosity.

April 28, 2005 8:15:59 PM

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> No, you have suspicion, which is quite different.
>

> Tell you what, ask the many thousands of people I help each year.
>
> Unlike most of your less than useless postings, I actually contribute to
> the printer community on a daily basis.

I will endorse that. Art gives good, sound, knowledgable advice for free and
I for one am very grateful.

Mike
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:20:41 PM

Some times it is wise to bite the bullet, cut your losses and run. When
some stocks do not perform and you loose some you guess the trend and it
may be wise to sell and get on another horse. That is the issue here.
Some do not want to fart around and spend the time and aggravation to
solve a problem that may happen frequently. Now while I like Canon
Printers I do have an HP also. In certain areas the HP may be a better fit.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> That's brilliant and helpful information.
>
> "My car wouldn't start this morning"
>
> "Oh, you should buy a new one of another brand".
>
> Jeez.
>
> Art
>

> measekite wrote:
>
>> I really do not know. I just prefer Canon Pixma Printers. However,
>> in your case, it may be wise to investigate the models of HP printers
>> that have a print head built into the cartridge. If you had one of
>> these models all you would have to do is trot down to your favorite
>> store and purchase a set of new cartridges. They might even take
>> back the existing ones and give you those for free. Some stores,
>> like Costco, are very customer oriented.
>>
>> LiWen wrote:
>>
>>> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
>>> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
>>> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
>>> clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
>>> since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
>>> after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
>>> gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
>>> what I can do ?

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:41:00 PM

Since you are so meticulous in your replies, writings, and record
keeping what percent of the total aggregate of people who had print head
clogs were from people who use or have ever used after market inks? And
by the same token for Epson OEM inks all of the time.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> No, you have suspicion, which is quite different.
>

> Tell you what, ask the many thousands of people I help each year.
>
> Unlike most of your less than useless postings, I actually contribute
> to the printer community on a daily basis.
>
> Something you probably couldn't understand.
>
> Art
>
> measekite wrote:
>

>> Caitlin wrote:
>>
>>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

>>> Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does
>>> everyone get sworn to secrecy that receives the document or
>>> something? I'm sure many would volunteer to host the information on
>>> a website.
>>

>> I have that same curiosity.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:54:44 AM

Wasn't complaining Arthur - just puzzled. You are of course entitled to help
people in the way that suits you best, and offering that help is a big
positive. In fact I hope if I ever get the R1800 I can still call on you for
help if I have clogging problems one day (though I get the impression the
R800 and R1800 may be less prone to these problems)

I was simply puzzled, and as I host several sites myself I thought it was
possible you didn't have the resources or had not thought of the possibility
of hosting the advice. It seemed like a lot of work to have to answer every
enquiry individually, and I was puzzled why no-one was quoting from your
advice. If it is because you feel it could be misinterpreted, quoted
incorrectly etc, fair enough!

> Curiosity killed the Cat ;-)...
>
> Because I spend several hours a day answering personally to the requests,
> since there are many different printers in use, different inks being used,
> and different issues that come up and the manual would need to be hundreds
> of pages long to deal with all of them. In some cases several emails go
> back and forth as people have additional questions that come up.
>
> Further, the manual is updated every few weeks as I am regularly adding
> information based upon user response, and other information that comes up,
> so in order to get the most current version to people, I do not allow for
> the manual to be published or posted elsewhere.
>
> Lastly, it's mine. I wrote it, I update it, I service it, and I developed
> many of the methods from my own experience working with the printers and
> it is how I wish to distribute it.
>
> Considering people who contact me get this service for free, get
> personalized service, never get spammed, I really don't see how anyone can
> complain about it (well, theirs always someone looking for WMD and
> terrorists under their bed, I suppose).
>
> If you prefer, you can order a much less complete manual, which is mainly
> full of web links to some questionable advice via ebay by a guy who
> charges about $7 US for it. He might have a web site ;-)
>
> Art
>
> Caitlin wrote:
>
>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>>>Shooter's advice is good. For a more comprehensive description of Epson
>>>head cleaning email Arthur Entlich and ask him to email you his
>>>instructions on this subject. His email address is artistic@telus.net .
>>>His instructions helped me to restore my Epson printer to as-new
>>>function. Shooter's info is similar but more condensed - best to read
>>>Entlich's stuff before you proceed.
>>>

>> Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does everyone
>> get sworn to secrecy that receives the document or something? I'm sure
>> many would volunteer to host the information on a website.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:37:14 PM

I do not keep any such records, nor do I know in most cases if people
use OEM or 3rd party inks unless they specifically mention it, which
many do not.

Further, I am quite sure some 3rd party inks are responsible for many
problems while some brands are as or less responsible than OEM inks.

Art

measekite wrote:
> Since you are so meticulous in your replies, writings, and record
> keeping what percent of the total aggregate of people who had print head
> clogs were from people who use or have ever used after market inks? And
> by the same token for Epson OEM inks all of the time.
>
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> No, you have suspicion, which is quite different.
>>

>> Tell you what, ask the many thousands of people I help each year.
>>
>> Unlike most of your less than useless postings, I actually contribute
>> to the printer community on a daily basis.
>>
>> Something you probably couldn't understand.
>>
>> Art
>>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> I have that same curiosity.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:37:56 PM

Except that's not what the person asked. If someone says "My brand Z
printer isn't working and I'm sick of it, what other brands are
available that might be better" then you have an invitation to go on
your little sales routine, but in this and most cases to date people
were not asking for an alternative product. they were asking for
assistance to resolve the problem they were having.

And, you know, this person has a 3 year old printer. Yours is just 6
months old. You are quite smug about your printer now, but I haven't
heard from too many people with 3 year old 'i' type Canon printers. We
all will have to wait and see if they stand up. You may be sadly
disappointed, or you may not, but we simply don't know now.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Some times it is wise to bite the bullet, cut your losses and run. When
> some stocks do not perform and you loose some you guess the trend and it
> may be wise to sell and get on another horse. That is the issue here.
> Some do not want to fart around and spend the time and aggravation to
> solve a problem that may happen frequently. Now while I like Canon
> Printers I do have an HP also. In certain areas the HP may be a better
> fit.
>
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> That's brilliant and helpful information.
>>
>> "My car wouldn't start this morning"
>>
>> "Oh, you should buy a new one of another brand".
>>
>> Jeez.
>>
>> Art
>>

>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> I really do not know. I just prefer Canon Pixma Printers. However,
>>> in your case, it may be wise to investigate the models of HP printers
>>> that have a print head built into the cartridge. If you had one of
>>> these models all you would have to do is trot down to your favorite
>>> store and purchase a set of new cartridges. They might even take
>>> back the existing ones and give you those for free. Some stores,
>>> like Costco, are very customer oriented.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:15:57 PM

I apologize for being somewhat overly defensive. On this newsgroup, one
often gets used to being attacked even for trying to be helpful.

I have also been running double duty this week, as Canadian taxes are
due in a few days, so I've had a backlog on responding and for some
reason, I have had a large increase in email requests for help the last
two weeks, so I've been getting by on a lot less sleep.

Added to this, I'm in the midst of changing my IPS, so I'm having to
deal with that and trying to create a transition that will once and for
all provide people with a public email address that will not change when
I change my IPS, which seems to happen every 6-12 months these days.
In that vein, please notice my new email address, which will be the way
to reach me privately for printer issues.

Having said that, however, it might have been more effective in
accomplishing the intent of your query by emailing me privately, so we
could have had a discussion.

As you probably noticed, it didn't take more than a few seconds for
one of the "frequent posters" here to use your posting as food for
another one of his snipes.

Art

Caitlin wrote:

> Wasn't complaining Arthur - just puzzled. You are of course entitled to help
> people in the way that suits you best, and offering that help is a big
> positive. In fact I hope if I ever get the R1800 I can still call on you for
> help if I have clogging problems one day (though I get the impression the
> R800 and R1800 may be less prone to these problems)
>
> I was simply puzzled, and as I host several sites myself I thought it was
> possible you didn't have the resources or had not thought of the possibility
> of hosting the advice. It seemed like a lot of work to have to answer every
> enquiry individually, and I was puzzled why no-one was quoting from your
> advice. If it is because you feel it could be misinterpreted, quoted
> incorrectly etc, fair enough!
>
> "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>
>>Curiosity killed the Cat ;-)...
>>
>>Because I spend several hours a day answering personally to the requests,
>>since there are many different printers in use, different inks being used,
>>and different issues that come up and the manual would need to be hundreds
>>of pages long to deal with all of them. In some cases several emails go
>>back and forth as people have additional questions that come up.
>>
>>Further, the manual is updated every few weeks as I am regularly adding
>>information based upon user response, and other information that comes up,
>>so in order to get the most current version to people, I do not allow for
>>the manual to be published or posted elsewhere.
>>
>>Lastly, it's mine. I wrote it, I update it, I service it, and I developed
>>many of the methods from my own experience working with the printers and
>>it is how I wish to distribute it.
>>
>>Considering people who contact me get this service for free, get
>>personalized service, never get spammed, I really don't see how anyone can
>>complain about it (well, theirs always someone looking for WMD and
>>terrorists under their bed, I suppose).
>>
>>If you prefer, you can order a much less complete manual, which is mainly
>>full of web links to some questionable advice via ebay by a guy who
>>charges about $7 US for it. He might have a web site ;-)
>>
>>Art
>>
>>Caitlin wrote:
>>

>>>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>>news:p FPbe.8608$J12.8387@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

>>>Curious to know why this advice is apparently so 'secret'? Does everyone
>>>get sworn to secrecy that receives the document or something? I'm sure
>>>many would volunteer to host the information on a website.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:07:05 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Except that's not what the person asked. If someone says "My brand Z
> printer isn't working and I'm sick of it, what other brands are
> available that might be better" then you have an invitation to go on
> your little sales routine, but in this and most cases to date people
> were not asking for an alternative product. they were asking for
> assistance to resolve the problem they were having.

I know people who have been in the repair business. When a potential
customer brought in a product for repair he sometimes advised them,
without the person asking, to seek out a new product. That the current
model was not worth the trouble of repair and that it would cause
problems in the future.

> And, you know, this person has a 3 year old printer. Yours is just 6
> months old. You are quite smug about your printer now, but I haven't
> heard from too many people with 3 year old 'i' type Canon printers. We
> all will have to wait and see if they stand up. You may be sadly
> disappointed, or you may not, but we simply don't know now.

I have a 3 yr old HP too.

> Art
>
> measekite wrote:
>
>> Some times it is wise to bite the bullet, cut your losses and run.
>> When some stocks do not perform and you loose some you guess the
>> trend and it may be wise to sell and get on another horse. That is
>> the issue here. Some do not want to fart around and spend the time
>> and aggravation to solve a problem that may happen frequently. Now
>> while I like Canon Printers I do have an HP also. In certain areas
>> the HP may be a better fit.
>>
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> That's brilliant and helpful information.
>>>
>>> "My car wouldn't start this morning"
>>>
>>> "Oh, you should buy a new one of another brand".
>>>
>>> Jeez.
>>>
>>> Art

April 30, 2005 12:50:18 AM

If you really like your printer and the prints it made when working
properly, the first thing to do is get Arthur Entlich's instructions on
cleaning head clogs and other Epson issues and spend a few hours to try to
restore it to good function. Most head clogs can be cleared with a little
patience and effort. With a little more knowledge in how to maintain
printers you don't have to give up and buy a new one without at least trying
an easy home remedy.

"LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
> cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
> year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
> clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
> since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
> after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
> gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
> what I can do ?

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:00:02 AM

Burt wrote:

>If you really like your printer and the prints it made when working
>properly, the first thing to do is get Arthur Entlich's instructions on
>cleaning head clogs and other Epson issues and spend a few hours to try to
>restore it to good function. Most head clogs can be cleared with a little
>patience and effort.

And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
R800/1800 series printers.

>With a little more knowledge in how to maintain
>printers you don't have to give up and buy a new one without at least trying
>an easy home remedy.
>
>"LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
>>cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
>>year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
>>clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
>>since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
>>after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
>>gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
>>what I can do ?

April 30, 2005 9:21:27 AM

Moosebite forgot to read the original post - that LiWen has only used Epson
inks in this printer. My Epson printer had a moderate head clog from using
only Epson inks as well. With Arthur Entlich's instructions I restored it
to as-new condition. Can't blame third party inks for problems the have
occurred with use of OEM inks exclusively. Also of interest is Tony, the
printer repair person (who deliberately avoided telling us the name of his
business or where it is located - not trying to generate business for
himself) who's statistics for the last year indicate equal print head clogs
from OEM and non-OEM inks. For those who wish to use them, read all the
posts on this NG and other forums carefully, look for people who actually
use the products and can recommend the vendor and label, and don't be scared
off by our resident nay-sayer who doesn't use these products but slams them
constantly. Must be a hawker or a whore for the OEM ink cartel.

> Burt wrote:
>
>>If you really like your printer and the prints it made when working
>>properly, the first thing to do is get Arthur Entlich's instructions on
>>cleaning head clogs and other Epson issues and spend a few hours to try to
>>restore it to good function. Most head clogs can be cleared with a little
>>patience and effort.
>
> And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
> R800/1800 series printers.
>
>>With a little more knowledge in how to maintain printers you don't have to
>>give up and buy a new one without at least trying an easy home remedy.
>>
>>"LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've an Epson 1290 for 3 years now, and have always used Epson
>>>cartridges on it with no problem, but I didn't use it for a whole
>>>year last year and now both the colour and black print heads are
>>>clogged. I've used the head clean utility at least half a dozen times
>>>since and the results are not improving with each clean. In fact,
>>>after changing the colour cartridge just now, the nozzle test print
>>>gave me a few black lines where it should be light blue. Any ideas on
>>>what I can do ?

April 30, 2005 9:33:32 AM

Burt
"Moosebite"
I love it!
Well done.
Tony

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Moosebite forgot to read the original post - that LiWen has only used Epson
>inks in this printer. My Epson printer had a moderate head clog from using
>only Epson inks as well. With Arthur Entlich's instructions I restored it
>to as-new condition. Can't blame third party inks for problems the have
>occurred with use of OEM inks exclusively. Also of interest is Tony, the
>printer repair person (who deliberately avoided telling us the name of his
>business or where it is located - not trying to generate business for
>himself) who's statistics for the last year indicate equal print head clogs
>from OEM and non-OEM inks. For those who wish to use them, read all the
>posts on this NG and other forums carefully, look for people who actually
>use the products and can recommend the vendor and label, and don't be scared
>off by our resident nay-sayer who doesn't use these products but slams them
>constantly. Must be a hawker or a whore for the OEM ink cartel.

>> Burt wrote:
>>
>>>If you really like your printer and the prints it made when working
>>>properly, the first thing to do is get Arthur Entlich's instructions on
>>>cleaning head clogs and other Epson issues and spend a few hours to try to
>>>restore it to good function. Most head clogs can be cleared with a little
>>>patience and effort.
>>
>> And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
>> R800/1800 series printers.
>>
>>>With a little more knowledge in how to maintain printers you don't have to
>>>give up and buy a new one without at least trying an easy home remedy.
>>>
>>>"LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 10:43:38 AM

Burt wrote:

>Moosebite forgot to read the original post - that LiWen has only used Epson
>inks in this printer. My Epson printer had a moderate head clog from using
>only Epson inks as well. With Arthur Entlich's instructions I restored it
>to as-new condition.

Thats cool. You should have enjoyed it then instead of buying a Canon.

>Can't blame third party inks for problems the have
>occurred with use of OEM inks exclusively. Also of interest is
>

>Tony, the

HAWKER

>printer repair person (who deliberately avoided telling us the name of his
>business or where it is located - not trying to generate business for
>himself) who's statistics for the last year indicate equal print head clogs
>from OEM and non-OEM inks.

So far every major source that has ever done ink reviews has recommended
to stay away from after market ink. The 2 main reasons is that you
never know what is in the box and that the vast majority will screw up
your printer.

>For those who wish to use them, read all the
>posts on this NG and other forums carefully, look for people who

are in the after market club. Many have been exposed to have been in
or tied to the after market business.

>actually
>use the products and can recommend the vendor and label, and don't be scared
>off by our resident nay-sayer who doesn't use these products but slams them
>constantly. Must be a hawker or a whore for the OEM ink cartel.

Yes, I own Canon and have a 25% interest in Epson. Currently I am in
negotiations to buy HP :-)

But still and all you are a step above Frank the Crank.

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>If you really like your printer and the prints it made when working
>>>properly, the first thing to do is get Arthur Entlich's instructions on
>>>cleaning head clogs and other Epson issues and spend a few hours to try to
>>>restore it to good function. Most head clogs can be cleared with a little
>>>patience and effort.
>>>

>>And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
>>R800/1800 series printers.
>>

>>>With a little more knowledge in how to maintain printers you don't have to
>>>give up and buy a new one without at least trying an easy home remedy.
>>>
>>>"LiWen" <koo_t@lycos-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

April 30, 2005 7:19:06 PM

Thanks for your agreement that one can, in fact, enjoy using an Epson
printer. I enjoyed using it for several years while my wife's Canon printer
had to be returned to Canon for replacement due to paper feed problems
(caused by exclusive use of OEM inks? I don't think so.) I bought my Canon
i960 for the convenience of borderless prints, slightly faster and quieter
operation, and the ease and savings of refilling carts with excellent third
party inks. Since the Canon is several years newer, it (together with
several newer Epson products) produces better photo prints. That said,
however, the thousands of Epson prints I did with the old printer still look
great. Takes a jeweler's loupe at 8x magnification to really see the
remarkable difference in size of the spots of ink each printer lays down.

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Moosebite forgot to read the original post - that LiWen has only used
>>Epson inks in this printer. My Epson printer had a moderate head clog
>>from using only Epson inks as well. With Arthur Entlich's instructions I
>>restored it to as-new condition.
>

> Thats cool. You should have enjoyed it then instead of buying a Canon.
>
>>Can't blame third party inks for problems the have occurred with use of
>>OEM inks exclusively. Also of interest is
>

>>Tony, the
>
> HAWKER
>

>>printer repair person (who deliberately avoided telling us the name of his
>>business or where it is located - not trying to generate business for
>>himself) who's statistics for the last year indicate equal print head
>>clogs from OEM and non-OEM inks.
>
> So far every major source that has ever done ink reviews has recommended
> to stay away from after market ink. The 2 main reasons is that you never
> know what is in the box and that the vast majority will screw up your
> printer.
>

>>For those who wish to use them, read all the posts on this NG and other
>>forums carefully, look for people who
>

> are in the after market club. Many have been exposed to have been in or
> tied to the after market business.
>
>>actually use the products and can recommend the vendor and label, and
>>don't be scared off by our resident nay-sayer who doesn't use these
>>products but slams them constantly. Must be a hawker or a whore for the
>>OEM ink cartel.
>>

> Yes, I own Canon and have a 25% interest in Epson. Currently I am in
> negotiations to buy HP :-)
>
> But still and all you are a step above Frank the Crank.
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
>>>R800/1800 series printers.

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:24:11 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:00:02 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Burt wrote:
>
>>If you really like your printer and the prints it made when working
>>properly, the first thing to do is get Arthur Entlich's instructions on
>>cleaning head clogs and other Epson issues and spend a few hours to try to
>>restore it to good function. Most head clogs can be cleared with a little
>>patience and effort.
>>

>And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
>R800/1800 series printers.

No, by using good quality ink. It doesn't have to be Epson.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:00:02 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>If you really like your printer and the prints it made when working
>>>properly, the first thing to do is get Arthur Entlich's instructions on
>>>cleaning head clogs and other Epson issues and spend a few hours to try to
>>>restore it to good function. Most head clogs can be cleared with a little
>>>patience and effort.
>>>

>>And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
>>R800/1800 series printers.
>>

>No, by using good quality ink. It doesn't have to be Epson.

The only ink that is pigmented for these Epson printer that is a real
manufactured brand is Dyson.

> --
>
>Hecate - The Real One
>Hecate@newsguy.com
>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

May 1, 2005 5:44:08 AM

By your narrow definition of brand. There are several vendors who sell
aftermarket Epson inks witht their own label.

> Hecate wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:00:02 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:

>>>And they may be almost eliminated by using Epson ink; especially in the
>>>R800/1800 series printers.
>>>

>>No, by using good quality ink. It doesn't have to be Epson.
>>

> The only ink that is pigmented for these Epson printer that is a real
> manufactured brand is Dyson.
>
>> --
>>
>>Hecate - The Real One
>>Hecate@newsguy.com Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 6:37:15 AM

Do you ever check your facts or spelling? Can you provide a link to the
"Dyson" website or someone who sell "Dyson" ink?
--
Ron Cohen

> The only ink that is pigmented for these Epson printer that is a real
> manufactured brand is Dyson.

May 1, 2005 6:37:16 AM

Ron Cohen wrote:

> Do you ever check your facts or spelling? Can you provide a link to the
> "Dyson" website or someone who sell "Dyson" ink?

He means Dyson vacuum cleaners. Apparently he has some kind of a
Freudian sexual fixation with these types of equipment.
He must have gotten it from watching his mommy use the vacuum.
Kind of weird huh?
Frank
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:07:10 AM

Burt wrote:

>By your narrow definition of brand. There are several vendors who sell
>aftermarket Epson inks witht their own label.

Who

>>Hecate wrote:

>>>No, by using good quality ink. It doesn't have to be Epson.
>>>

>>The only ink that is pigmented for these Epson printer that is a real
>>manufactured brand is Dyson.
>>

>>>--
>>>
>>>Hecate - The Real One
>>>Hecate@newsguy.com Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>>>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

May 1, 2005 7:31:28 AM

Your the guy who claims to know all about the hawkers and whores - try
Google.

> Burt wrote:
>
>>By your narrow definition of brand. There are several vendors who sell
>>aftermarket Epson inks witht their own label.
>>

> Who
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>The only ink that is pigmented for these Epson printer that is a real
>>>manufactured brand is Dyson.

May 1, 2005 9:15:58 AM

Lyson is the brand of ink erroniously called Dyson by MK- just another error
from the world's greatest expert (or perhaps I missed the subtlety of his
deliberate misspelling that he applies to all third party ink vendors).
They make a wide range of inks including inkjet printer inks. Some of the
more interesting products are archival inks for Epson printers and Quad Tone
black/gray tone inks in neutral or warm or cold tones. Worth Googleing just
out of interest sake. they claim that their inks will print a more full
gamit of color than OEM inks.

"Frank" <fb@nospam.com> wrote in message news:lbZce.820$fI.799@fed1read05...
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>
>> Do you ever check your facts or spelling? Can you provide a link to the
>> "Dyson" website or someone who sell "Dyson" ink?
>
> He means Dyson vacuum cleaners. Apparently he has some kind of a Freudian
> sexual fixation with these types of equipment.
> He must have gotten it from watching his mommy use the vacuum.
> Kind of weird huh?
> Frank
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:28:09 AM

Darn it, you gave away the answer to Measelshiite. Since he hasn't
responded, he probably was stumped. He does seem to have a bit of a problem
understanding there is actually such a thing as grammar and spell checkers.
At least he's a hard worker. It must take him a lot of effort to continually
appear to be a total moron, while at the same appearing to make it seem so
effortless.
--
Ron Cohen

> Lyson is the brand of ink erroniously called Dyson by MK- just another
> error from the world's greatest expert (or perhaps I missed the subtlety
> of his deliberate misspelling that he applies to all third party ink
> vendors). They make a wide range of inks including inkjet printer inks.
> Some of the more interesting products are archival inks for Epson printers
> and Quad Tone black/gray tone inks in neutral or warm or cold tones.
> Worth Googleing just out of interest sake. they claim that their inks
> will print a more full gamit of color than OEM inks.
>
> "Frank" <fb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Ron Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Do you ever check your facts or spelling? Can you provide a link to the
>>> "Dyson" website or someone who sell "Dyson" ink?
>>
>> He means Dyson vacuum cleaners. Apparently he has some kind of a Freudian
>> sexual fixation with these types of equipment.
>> He must have gotten it from watching his mommy use the vacuum.
>> Kind of weird huh?
>> Frank

May 1, 2005 9:59:19 AM

No no - he has to be in bed by 8 (when he's good) otherwise earlier
Tony

"Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>Darn it, you gave away the answer to Measelshiite. Since he hasn't
>responded, he probably was stumped. He does seem to have a bit of a problem
>understanding there is actually such a thing as grammar and spell checkers.
>At least he's a hard worker. It must take him a lot of effort to continually
>appear to be a total moron, while at the same appearing to make it seem so
>effortless.
>--
>Ron Cohen
>
>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Lyson is the brand of ink erroniously called Dyson by MK- just another
>> error from the world's greatest expert (or perhaps I missed the subtlety
>> of his deliberate misspelling that he applies to all third party ink
>> vendors). They make a wide range of inks including inkjet printer inks.
>> Some of the more interesting products are archival inks for Epson printers
>> and Quad Tone black/gray tone inks in neutral or warm or cold tones.
>> Worth Googleing just out of interest sake. they claim that their inks
>> will print a more full gamit of color than OEM inks.
>>
>> "Frank" <fb@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> He means Dyson vacuum cleaners. Apparently he has some kind of a Freudian
>>> sexual fixation with these types of equipment.
>>> He must have gotten it from watching his mommy use the vacuum.
>>> Kind of weird huh?
>>> Frank

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:23:14 PM

Tony wrote:

>No no - he has to be in bed by 8 (when he's good) otherwise earlier
>Tony

Your right. With your wife.

>"Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>Darn it, you gave away the answer to Measelshiite. Since he hasn't
>>responded, he probably was stumped. He does seem to have a bit of a problem
>>understanding there is actually such a thing as grammar and spell checkers.
>>At least he's a hard worker. It must take him a lot of effort to continually
>>appear to be a total moron, while at the same appearing to make it seem so
>>effortless.
>>--
>>Ron Cohen
>>
>>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>

>>>Lyson is the brand of ink erroniously called Dyson by MK- just another
>>>error from the world's greatest expert (or perhaps I missed the subtlety
>>>of his deliberate misspelling that he applies to all third party ink
>>>vendors). They make a wide range of inks including inkjet printer inks.
>>>Some of the more interesting products are archival inks for Epson printers
>>>and Quad Tone black/gray tone inks in neutral or warm or cold tones.
>>>Worth Googleing just out of interest sake. they claim that their inks
>>>will print a more full gamit of color than OEM inks.
>>>
>>>"Frank" <fb@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:49:34 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:30:30 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>No, by using good quality ink. It doesn't have to be Epson.
>>

>The only ink that is pigmented for these Epson printer that is a real
>manufactured brand is Dyson.

Wrong. To wit, Lyson and Permajet for a start. And I know Dyson makes
vacuum cleaners, but I didn't realise he made printers inks too.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com