Hi All,

Windows 2000 Pro SP4 up to date in the domaine. No virus
or spy found.

When the client logs in, he receives this error message:

Windows cannot copy profile
\\(long path) to location C:\Document and Settings ...

DETAIL - the filename or extension is too long.

It then says:

"Windows cannot load the profile and is logging you on
with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this
profile will be lost when you log off."

When the client tries to login on 3 different computers
in different locations, there is absolutely no problem.

Anyone can help on this please ?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about loading temp profile

    There is a limit on file paths for explorer-based copy commands. Can you
    shorten the path? You can if you want - easily; just drop a share in there,
    i.e. \\server\path\path\path\path\path\pathpath\path\path could easily
    become \server\share\ or \server\share\path. Do you see what I mean?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    <chv@anon.postalias> wrote in message
    Hi All,

    Windows 2000 Pro SP4 up to date in the domaine. No virus
    or spy found.

    When the client logs in, he receives this error message:

    Windows cannot copy profile
    \\(long path) to location C:\Document and Settings ...

    DETAIL - the filename or extension is too long.

    It then says:

    "Windows cannot load the profile and is logging you on
    with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this
    profile will be lost when you log off."

    When the client tries to login on 3 different computers
    in different locations, there is absolutely no problem.

    Anyone can help on this please ?

    Thanks

    Thanks Paul

    Can you please explain the steps further as I am not
    quite sure ...

    Thanks

    Look at the file path, and decide where would be a good place to put a
    share. You might want to share that actual user folder, i.e.
    \\share\...\%username%\ could be shared which would give you a profile path
    of \\servername\%username%

    Obviously, this depends on the actual path length. If this isn't that long,
    then the problem is quite likely something else...permissions spring to
    mind, as this is a common error when using roaming profiles.

    Hope that clears things up a bit better.

    --

    Thanks Paul

    Can you please explain the steps further as I am not
    quite sure ...

    Thanks

Active Directory Windows