Sign in with
Your question

Creative Audigy 2 ZS Digital (Coax/Optical) Connector

Last response: in Components
July 7, 2006 4:48:32 PM

Hi All,

I have an Audigy 2 ZS with a mini jack digital output. I tried hooking it up to my $2,000 Harman Kardon and Tannoy setup. Unfortunately, because there is no spot for an optical or coax connector, I can only get 2 channel or virtual surround out of movies, etc. It sounds like crap. Does anyone have experience with this product:

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&...

I know it doesn't specifically list "Audigy 2 ZS" as an option, but it does have other Audigy 2 products. Do you think it will work? Anyone have experience? At 15 bucks i'm thinking of just giving it a shot. Thanks in advance.

Chris
July 8, 2006 1:15:36 AM

a simple minijack to RCA converter should do. I did that on mine for a while..
July 8, 2006 2:02:29 AM

...yeah... if you dont have any digital inputs on your receiver (coaxial or optical)... the next best thing you can do, is to connect 2 and 3 channel analog rca adapters to the outputs of your audigy 2 zs, to the surround analog inputs on your receiver... and get direct analog surround that way.

edit: although... if your receiver does have a coaxial input, all you need to do to get digital coaxial output from your audigy 2 zs, is to connect a 1/8" mini to rca adapter... and connect an rca cable from that to the coaxial input on your receiver... ...to get dolby digital from a movie through it, just enable spdif passthrough on the audigy 2 zs (which bypasses your sound cards processing), and that will allow the movie to stream directly to your receiver for digital surround, instead of just 2 channel pcm output
Related resources
July 8, 2006 2:52:19 AM

woohoo first post on the THG forums to help somebody. Too bad i cannot give you good news though, the only way the Audigy 2zs outputs on SPDIF coax/optical is through the platinum i/o drive. I have this great sound card but unfortunately i bought a HP computer where i cannot fit the front drive and I am trying to figure out how to rig it in/out of my case to hook up to a HDTV.
July 8, 2006 2:58:25 AM

he doesnt need the platinum drive though to have coaxial digital output (if hes just using a coaxial connection to his amp, and not optical) ... to have both coaxial inputs and outputs though, and for optical toslink connections too, i think youre right though.

edit: the add on attachment he linked to might work though if he needs inputs and outputs for both coaxial and/or optical as well... though ive never used it, so i dunno.
July 8, 2006 7:52:23 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

I have an Audigy 2 ZS with a mini jack digital output. I tried hooking it up to my $2,000 Harman Kardon and Tannoy setup. Unfortunately, because there is no spot for an optical or coax connector, I can only get 2 channel or virtual surround out of movies, etc. It sounds like crap. Does anyone have experience with this product:

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&...

I know it doesn't specifically list "Audigy 2 ZS" as an option, but it does have other Audigy 2 products. Do you think it will work? Anyone have experience? At 15 bucks i'm thinking of just giving it a shot. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Wow, that's funny. I just received that product on Wedneday!! I use it to push 2-channel stereo to my FireStone SpitFire DAC via TOSLink. It does so quite nicely from both my X-Fi and my SB Live! Value. It's definately worth $15 IMO. I've only had it since this past Wednesday so I can't rate it's longevity, but it seems built well-enough. I'm nearly certain it would work with your 2 ZS. Creative's shipping took 7 days (which was stated but I hated).

Its funny someone would ask about this somewhat obscure piece that I just happened to order, myself.
!