Heat Spreader and more questions

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I am considering upgrading my RAM (I have a Dell Dim 8400 and require dual channel memory). I have a few questions about what to buy that I could not find answers to in the FAQ.

1. Is a heat spreader necessary if I do not plan to overclock? (Any info about a heat spreader would be appreciated)

2. How big is the difference between a CAS latency of 3 and 4?

3a. If I have 2 x 256 MB DDR2 @533MHz, and I purchase 2 x 512 MB @ 667 MHz will the latter perform at 667 MHz?

3b. How big is the difference between DDR2 533 and 667 (essentially is it worth $20 or so to purchase 667)?

4. Is PQI a respectable enough brand to purchase?

Sorry for the many questions but I didn't want to make multiple posts. If you can answer some or all of these questions it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
1. Is a heat spreader necessary if I do not plan to overclock? (Any info about a heat spreader would be appreciated)

** no not needed a good flow in the case is enough for non-overclocked mem
but the colder the better**
(i have ddr400 overclocked to fsb220 and no heat spreader)

2. How big is the difference between a CAS latency of 3 and 4?

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Memory/Effects-of-Memory-Latency/

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Answers

1. Heat spreaders are not essential for memory modules.......they provide minimum performance gains (if at all) but due to the increased surface area, they do keep the modules cooler - which should translate to longer lifespan but not that we plan to use the same module for the next 10 years

2. In terms of latency, the lower the better..........its not that noticeable in real world computing (most of the time) unless you are making extra effort to detect the differences. Most of the difference will show in bandwidth benchmarks.

3a+b. Performance difference between DDR2~533 and DDR2~667 is not that big if at all. But since you already have DDR2~533 in your system, your new DDR2~667 might only run at DDR2~533 speeds. Unless your DDR2~533 is capable of running at 667 speeds, you can set it manually then.

4. PQI is already, they do offer excellent value stuff.....they do some white brand work for OCZ.....I guess thats some kind of an assurance in itself!!