Assistance please with i-Mate PDA2K on Cingular GPRS

Last response: in Network Providers
October 22, 2004 8:56:52 PM

All,

I have just purchased a new unlocked i-Mate PDA2k quad-band GSM Pocket PC
and am using it on the Cingular network. I seem to be having a bit of
trouble getting a data connection to Cingular working so that I can
synchronize with my Exchange server. Everything works great under WiFi. I
know for certain that my Cingular account is provisioned for Wireless
Internet Express. GPGS worked fine on my old Motorola v400. I have
downloaded the Cingular Device Settings document from their developer site.
Here are the settings I am using:

Name: GPRS WAP (or whatever)
Select a modem: Cellular Line (GPRS)
APN: wap.cingular
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Domain: Leave blank
Advanced settings: Leave all at the default settings

These are pretty much ALL the fields on the PDA2k.

I have also tried both PAP and CHAP authorization. I've tried soft and hard
reboots. The settings seemed to work briefly at one time, but I cannot get
them to work any longer. The message is always the same, something like "the
modem at the other end has disconnected." I need to get this working
reliably to automatically synchronize with my Exchange server on a regular
schedule. The more I look into this, the more confused I become!

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Scott A. Blystone
Amateur Radio Station NY2A
Rochester, NY
publicXXX@blystoneXXX.net

Please remove the X's to reply privately.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:34:09 PM

In <oZaed.316698$bp1.18226@twister.nyroc.rr.com> on Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:56:52
GMT, <publicXXX.01@blystoneXXX.net> wrote:

>I have just purchased a new unlocked i-Mate PDA2k quad-band GSM Pocket PC
>and am using it on the Cingular network. I seem to be having a bit of
>trouble getting a data connection to Cingular working so that I can
>synchronize with my Exchange server. Everything works great under WiFi. I
>know for certain that my Cingular account is provisioned for Wireless
>Internet Express. GPGS worked fine on my old Motorola v400. I have
>downloaded the Cingular Device Settings document from their developer site.
>Here are the settings I am using:
>
>Name: GPRS WAP (or whatever)
>Select a modem: Cellular Line (GPRS)
>APN: wap.cingular
>User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
>Password: CINGULAR1
>Domain: Leave blank
>Advanced settings: Leave all at the default settings

Instead of the WAP settings, try the Data Connect settings.

October 22, 2004 11:48:06 PM

John,

I have, and the result is exactly the same! Here are my Data Connect
settings:

Select "Cellular Line" instead of "Cellular Line (GPRD)

Dial-up #: *99# (I've also tried *99***N1" 2 and 3
User name: ISPDA@CINGULARGRPS.COM (I've also tried ISP and WAP
@CINGULARGPRS.COM)
Password: CINGULAR1

The funny thing is that the PDA2K has no field for an Access Point Name! The
Cingular document shows that should be ISP.CINGULAR.

I receive the same error message that the modem is not responding. This is
very frustrating. I need to get this device working!

Your help is appreciated. Any other ideas?

Scott Blystone
Rochester, NY

> In <oZaed.316698$bp1.18226@twister.nyroc.rr.com> on Fri, 22 Oct 2004
> 16:56:52
> GMT, <publicXXX.01@blystoneXXX.net> wrote:
>
>>I have just purchased a new unlocked i-Mate PDA2k quad-band GSM Pocket PC
>>and am using it on the Cingular network. I seem to be having a bit of
>>trouble getting a data connection to Cingular working so that I can
>>synchronize with my Exchange server. Everything works great under WiFi. I
>>know for certain that my Cingular account is provisioned for Wireless
>>Internet Express. GPGS worked fine on my old Motorola v400. I have
>>downloaded the Cingular Device Settings document from their developer
>>site.
>>Here are the settings I am using:
>>
>>Name: GPRS WAP (or whatever)
>>Select a modem: Cellular Line (GPRS)
>>APN: wap.cingular
>>User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
>>Password: CINGULAR1
>>Domain: Leave blank
>>Advanced settings: Leave all at the default settings
>
> Instead of the WAP settings, try the Data Connect settings.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:40:58 AM

Modem not responding sounds like a configuration problem at your end; e.g.,
wrong COM port. Also, not having APN doesn't sound good.

In <Wtded.316725$bp1.76218@twister.nyroc.rr.com> on Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:48:06
GMT, <publicXXX.01@blystoneXXX.net> wrote:

>I have, and the result is exactly the same! Here are my Data Connect
>settings:
>
>Select "Cellular Line" instead of "Cellular Line (GPRD)
>
>Dial-up #: *99# (I've also tried *99***N1" 2 and 3
>User name: ISPDA@CINGULARGRPS.COM (I've also tried ISP and WAP
>@CINGULARGPRS.COM)
>Password: CINGULAR1
>
>The funny thing is that the PDA2K has no field for an Access Point Name! The
>Cingular document shows that should be ISP.CINGULAR.
>
>I receive the same error message that the modem is not responding. This is
>very frustrating. I need to get this device working!
>
>Your help is appreciated. Any other ideas?

>> Instead of the WAP settings, try the Data Connect settings.

>> In <oZaed.316698$bp1.18226@twister.nyroc.rr.com> on Fri, 22 Oct 2004
>> 16:56:52
>> GMT, <publicXXX.01@blystoneXXX.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have just purchased a new unlocked i-Mate PDA2k quad-band GSM Pocket PC
>>>and am using it on the Cingular network. I seem to be having a bit of
>>>trouble getting a data connection to Cingular working so that I can
>>>synchronize with my Exchange server. Everything works great under WiFi. I
>>>know for certain that my Cingular account is provisioned for Wireless
>>>Internet Express. GPGS worked fine on my old Motorola v400. I have
>>>downloaded the Cingular Device Settings document from their developer
>>>site.
>>>Here are the settings I am using:
>>>
>>>Name: GPRS WAP (or whatever)
>>>Select a modem: Cellular Line (GPRS)
>>>APN: wap.cingular
>>>User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
>>>Password: CINGULAR1
>>>Domain: Leave blank
>>>Advanced settings: Leave all at the default settings

October 24, 2004 12:03:19 AM

All,

Actually, I finally got it up and running last evening! The trick was using
a different group of settings in the Cingular document. I used the PDA2K
"Cellular Line (GPRS)" choice and just ignored the fact that the Cingular
document showed a dial-up number of *99# and that the PDA2K didn't even HAVE
a field for a dial-up number. I just entered an APN of ISP.CINGULAR and a
username of ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM, and the darned thing took off running!
Apparently the *99# is not critical for some reason another. I'm now
automatically synching my Exchange mail every 30 minutes.

This PDA2k is really an awesome device!

John, I especially thank you for your help!

Scott Blystone
Rochester, NY

!