"DELL Ready To Go With AMD Consumer Boxes"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
THE DEAL between AMD and Dell is already done, as we reported some time ago. The companies are just looking for the best timing to tell the world+dog about the deal. Dell is the last big customer that explicitly refuses to buy AMD desktop CPUs but that's all over now, according to a senior executive I talked to from AMD.

This includes consumer products and the announcement is expected in the next few weeks as both Dell and AMD don't want to freak out the OEMs with this sudden decision.

I guess AMD's ambitions of capturing 30% of global marketshare will be quicker once Dell starts selling these machines. :D

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32877

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
THE DEAL between AMD and Dell is already done, as we reported some time ago. The companies are just looking for the best timing to tell the world+dog about the deal. Dell is the last big customer that explicitly refuses to buy AMD desktop CPUs but that's all over now, according to a senior executive I talked to from AMD.

This includes consumer products and the announcement is expected in the next few weeks as both Dell and AMD don't want to freak out the OEMs with this sudden decision.

I guess AMD's ambitions of capturing 30% of global marketshare will be quicker once Dell starts selling these machines. :D

When did their deal change from Opteron servers to Athlon 64 desktops?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I still really, really, really don't see why Dell is doing this. Can someone point out to me a few good reasons to start building AMD systems now counteract the many reasons to stick to Intel-only??

Unless Dell are getting paid a few million dollars for every time 9-inch starts a new thread I really don't see the point in their sudden AMD-friendly attitude.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

1. its posted by INQ. the credibility of this article is automatically halved.

2. Dell doesn't sell, or they don't sell good outside of US. i would say AMD probably would capture more US market share. but for global, AMD still has some way to go.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Well, it doesn't matter whether or not Dell sells globally. If Dell decides to sell AMD-powered machines, it will be irrelevant that Eurasia and Australia shall be without AMDells. With the number of those machines, just that alone will boost AMD's market share considerably. Even if most Dell-buyers haven't heard of Core 2/Conroe, at least some of them have probably heard of AMD. That and all the marketing hype will be more than sufficient to bring AMD's profits up.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well, it doesn't matter whether or not Dell sells globally. If Dell decides to sell AMD-powered machines, it will be irrelevant that Eurasia and Australia shall be without AMDells. With the number of those machines, just that alone will boost AMD's market share considerably. Even if most Dell-buyers haven't heard of Core 2/Conroe, at least some of them have probably heard of AMD. That and all the marketing hype will be more than sufficient to bring AMD's profits up.
with all due respect, i think i've said the effect of Dell selling AMD probably will only effect U.S market. you'll be amazed how many ppl in the other part of the world have seen Intel as the sole quality processor provider.

I'm from Taiwan. I know.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I still really, really, really don't see why Dell is doing this. Can someone point out to me a few good reasons to start building AMD systems now counteract the many reasons to stick to Intel-only??

Unless Dell are getting paid a few million dollars for every time 9-inch starts a new thread I really don't see the point in their sudden AMD-friendly attitude.

Can you say GMAX3000? Or how about slow Core 2 supply and NO DEMAND for PD over X2 ( OK just a little exaggeration in jest)?

Or how about once they sell servers, they WILL get desktop orders.

Dell knew if they adopted any AMD they would end up adopting MOST. Once Core 2 ramps, it maybe their low end-midrange gaming - not that the CPU controls high res gaming.

I'm sure they have Statisticians working out all of those numbers every quarter and now that AMD can outsource to Chartered while Fab 38 ramps to 300mm, AMD should be able to supply the 20% share that they have.

People think that Dell is going to kick Intel out or something.... NOT. They just want to take advantage of the Opteron 4P PLATFORM. Sun is introing 8P boxes soon so the high end will be AMDs for awhile.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
People always read way too much into this.

At the end of the day Dell is a retailer. They want the best solutions available to maximise profit opportunities with their customers. Obviously Intel has been giving them a competitive deal on CPUs and now (quite some time ago actually) AMD met the same price or bettered it. The fact that AMD is becoming more marketable thanks to it's performance benefits over the past couple of years only helps the situation.

I'm sure AMD priced their proposition profitably as they don't really have the capacity to run a loss-leader through Dell to gain mass-market awareness. Likewise, Intel can probably now increase their price to Dell as they are no longer the exclusive suppliers.

This gives the customer choice which is a good thing as it also means that the consumer should also now research a little and self-educate. This will mean that Dell customers can probably not now but in the future make a fairly informed choice about performance vs cost vs features.

Therefore it doesn't in the long term benefit AMD or Intel, whic was probably the intention of this thread and the 3,000 before it. Consumers will now be able to look and buy something cheap, or pay more and get performance, whoever is offering it.

Taking a simplistic view without considering other components, if Intel offers an E6600 to Dell at US $200 and AMD offers the same price for say a 4800 X2, the consumer gets to pick. Now, for the first time, a Dell customer might actually start to choose based on the benefits of the different system components. With Core 2 Duo, in the near future, this decision may well greatly assist Intel. It might not later on. Either way, a good deal for the consumer and certainly not something for a fanboy to get all excited about.

SHv2

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Cause dell has weaved it's way into every mind in america with their "Dude your getting a dell" Campaign god i still remember those commercials how annoying they used to be.
well they did their job now didn't they?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
At the end of the day Dell is a retailer. They want the best solutions available to maximise profit opportunities with their customers. Obviously Intel has been giving them a competitive deal on CPUs and now (quite some time ago actually) AMD met the same price or bettered it. The fact that AMD is becoming more marketable thanks to it's performance benefits over the past couple of years only helps the situation.

Actually another major factor may have been AMDs lawsuit. It seems to have out pressure on Intel to DROP all of Dell's special deals.

Without these deals they are just HP with the cool commercials.

Oops!

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
If Dell decides to use AMD anywhere else than MP servers, they would be dumber than you (extremely dumb that is) but since they arent you wont have the pleasure to see an AMD sticker on a Dell case.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
If Dell decides to use AMD anywhere else than MP servers, they would be dumber than you (extremely dumb that is) but since they arent you wont have the pleasure to see an AMD sticker on a Dell case.

Your wrong :wink:

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
well, I read this on another tech site a few days ago. I read that a Taiwan company would make them. Ycon..... I thought you were going to hook everyone up and hold your breath?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Cause dell has weaved it's way into every mind in america with their "Dude your getting a dell" Campaign god i still remember those commercials how annoying they used to be.

That twit was as useless as a clock-flavored lollypop.