User logon v. User logon (pre-Windows 2000)

I am getting ready to migrate a number of users from Win98 workstation to
WinXP. The network is Win2K with AD. Right now, the Win98 users have been
given network logon IDs using a couple of different naming conventions, and I
want to go to a standard naming convention for all users. What I want to do
is leave their current logon ID as is, which is shown in the "User logon
(pre-Windows 2000)" field in their user properties, and just add a new
(different) logon name in the User logon field, which would be in effect only
when they start logging on to their new XP machines. From the help
information file, it would appear that this should work, but it doesn't seem
to. I have tested this by taking an existing user and adding a different
user logon name in the User logon box (which was previously empty), leaving
the original pre-Windows 2000 logon name as is. However, when I try to log
on to a Win2K or XP machine using the new name, it doesn't work - only the
pre-Windows 2000 logon name works, even on the Win2K workstation.

Anyone know what I might be missing, or is this just one of those "features"
that doesn't work?

It's bee a while since I've thought about this, let alone looked at it, but
I think you need the UPN suffix on the end. In the user properties, next to
the logon name I believe there's a UPN suffix. By default, if you're domain
name were domain-name.com then your UPN would be this, so you would logon
using:

username@domain-name.com

When you use the UPN the domain tab is not used.

Try this, and let us know.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/