Windows profile loading problem

OK:
So, when I start Windows, and enter the correct password for my account, it takes an abnormally long amount of time to load "Your Personalized Settings." Then it will show my desktop, with no programs or icons (just the picture) for about half a minute before suddently revealing all my icons, toolbar, ect. I have all the latest drivers, and I believe that all my computer chunks are working correctly. I have zero overclock. I don't know of any viruses that I have, but I can not say for certain that I do not have any.

Box:
Windows Professional x64 Edition
AMD 4000+ CPU
2GB Crucial RAM
7900GT
Biostar SLI Mobo
550W Power Supply (can't remember the name...it's good though...)

:arrow: Anyone have ideas? I don't.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows profile loading problem
  1. Quote:
    OK:
    So, when I start Windows, and enter the correct password for my account, it takes an abnormally long amount of time to load "Your Personalized Settings." Then it will show my desktop, with no programs or icons (just the picture) for about half a minute before suddently revealing all my icons, toolbar, ect. I have all the latest drivers, and I believe that all my computer chunks are working correctly. I have zero overclock. I don't know of any viruses that I have, but I can not say for certain that I do not have any.

Box:
    Windows Professional x64 Edition
    AMD 4000+ CPU
    2GB Crucial RAM
    7900GT
    Biostar SLI Mobo
    550W Power Supply (can't remember the name...it's good though...)

:arrow: Anyone have ideas? I don't.

Spyware/Adware/Virus.. sounds like to me. Install Windows Defender, and Avast and check for adware and viruses.
  2. During this time that your seeing the picture but no icons, Windows is loading all your startup programs, services, and some drivers. Has your comp always done this or is this something recent? You could always use msconfig to shut down unnecessary programs at start up. Go to this site and check the executable file name(xxx.exe) you find in your startup list against the database and shut off the ones you don't need.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Do you have a ton of icons? I can tell you how to edit the registry to increase your icon cache and that will help if lots of icons are taking a while to load or if your icons refresh often. If your Ok working with your registry.
  3. Is your machine on a domain by chance, as do you have a static DNS server Ip address configured, or is it DHCP. Check to make sure, cause sometimes spyware or virus's will redirect to another dns server.
  4. Have you tried logging into a diffrent account?
    If you dont have another account or it does the same i reccomend reformating and get kasper sky it is a very good virus protection but it takes up alot of resources
  5. Agreed. It is software, that system is very fast as it is. I don't think it is Spyware/Adware. I had the same problem; make sure you shut down ipodhelper, if you have one. Resource hog, and it doesn't do anything useful. CD/DVD Burner software is a hog as well.

~Ibrahim~
  6. Quote:
    During this time that your seeing the picture but no icons, Windows is loading all your startup programs, services, and some drivers. Has your comp always done this or is this something recent? You could always use msconfig to shut down unnecessary programs at start up. Go to this site and check the executable file name(xxx.exe) you find in your startup list against the database and shut off the ones you don't need.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Do you have a ton of icons? I can tell you how to edit the registry to increase your icon cache and that will help if lots of icons are taking a while to load or if your icons refresh often. If your Ok working with your registry.

It started after I installed nTune, a little program that is almost as annoying as my 64-bit OS (I have some great stories about trying to install RAID on this OS by the way...). It monitors system devices and their temperatures, and is available for download at the nVidia driver page. However, it made my computer run slow, and showed my 4000+ as running at over four GHz and at 6764 degrees. After that I sent all trace of it to a CD and threw it in a corner, but it looks like a process (in Windows Task Manager) called along the lines of "nTunehelper" (I forgot exact) survived. After I stopped that process, everything worked fine.
  7. Oh really? I never thought nTune was a resource-hog...Thanks for the heads-up!

~Ibrahim~
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems