Win95 and 2003

JimD

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2003

After much fruitless searching to what I thought should be a simple question,
I'll try it here: I recently upgraded my NT 4 domain to a Server 2003 AD
domain. I am in Interim mode right now and am ready to switch to 2003 native
mode. I am concerned about my 95 clients (yes, I wish I could get rid of
them, but at the moment that option is unavailable to me). I have disabled
SMB packet signing on the 2003 Domain controllers and currently the 95 PCs
can log in fine and use resources as they could with NT. I have read some
various articles that seem to suggest that in Native mode they will have
problems. I have read other articles that suggest they won't. And I have
read Microsoft articles that recommend installing an Active Directory client
on 95 98 and NT. Questions: Do I need to do anything to my 95 PC's before
going Nativet? Do I need this AD Client I read about? And where do I get it
if need be (Microsoft only talks about one on the 2000 Server disk, but I
don't have that as I went from NT to 2003, and why would I want to install a
2000 client anyways for 2003)?

As a side note, am I the only one noticing that 2003 info seems to be
difficult to find? I even notice in these newsgroups, that at least from
Microsoft's site, there are tons for Server 2000, but not one mentions 2003.
What gives?

thanx for any info,

JimD

> Questions: Do I need to do anything to my 95 PC's before going Nativet?

Native mode only affects DCs and BDCs - DCs will stop replicating with
down-level partners. Native mode doesn't affect clients.

There are a couple of issues with the new security settings in 2003 that you
have to worry about, although you've done the main one - SMB signing.

> Do I need this AD Client I read about? And where do I get it if need be
> (Microsoft only talks about one on the 2000 Server disk, but I don't have
> that as I went from NT to 2003, and why would I want to install a 2000
> client anyways for 2003)?

You don't need it (although 95 versions < 95 OSR2 may), but it's
recommended. I'm not sure if there's a 2003 client -I would have thought
there is. If there isn't, use the one on the 2000 media. It's not so much
a Windows 2000 client; rather an Active Directory one.

> As a side note, am I the only one noticing that 2003 info seems to be
> difficult to find? I even notice in these newsgroups, that at least from
> Microsoft's site, there are tons for Server 2000, but not one mentions
> 2003. What gives?

Maybe. I find that everything I search for is related to 2003 and not 2000
;-)

The 2003 documentation is *very* comprehensive and much more uniform and
organised better too!

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/